Stuart Davies. Easy foliage techniques.. no drawing.

dencaldencal -
edited January 2019 in Painting
Folks

Useful short video .... grass? Throw away that rigger at 8 minutes in.

Denis

Comments

• BOB73BOB73 -
    edited January 2019
    It's depressing seeing somebody do in 12 minutes what takes me 12 days just to get to the ugly stage. The ugly stage then lasts another 10 days until the garbage is collected.
    Thanks for posting Denis. I might try some of that after my 20th DMP landscape.
    dencalcoastgirlDianna
  • If one more person mentions a RIGGER brush I'm going to scream.  I don't even know what a rigger brush is. I think it's time I found out: 

Called a rigger because it was commonly used to paint the rigging on maritime paintings, the long hair absorbs any hand-shake limiting the wobble in the mark that is made and allows the artist to have fingers of the brush-holding hand resting on the surface to guide and control the line. The line should be created with one slow and steady movement of the arm.

Well, now I know.  I have to do a painting of a yacht in full sail about four paintings down the road, so I'll make sure I buy one before then.

dencal
  • I have watched several of his videos lately and he definitely has the abstraction part down.  I am using larger brushes lately but I like detail and the average viewer likes it too.  There is a place for every stroke.
    dencal
  • I've never used a rigger brush. Perhaps I should try them out but I seem to be able to get by with No. 1 and 2 flats and filbert bristle brushes with bigger sizes for skies and background. Riggers are useful for miniatures, though. @Roxy did a stunning one inch square landscape that I have seen in the flesh. He used a microscope and must have used a rigger. So, I guess it's about using the right sized brush for the job at hand. A rigger on a 4 foot square canvas seems a bit OCD to me.  :)
    dencalDougie2346
  • I thought @Roxy used an eyelash glued to the point of a sewing needle.
    RoxyDianna
  • BOB73 said:
    I thought @Roxy used an eyelash glued to the point of a sewing needle.
    Now that is one I have to try!
  • Just back from a holiday at the beach. Much cooler than home - thankfully.

I thought about the eyelash trick, but the problem of focusing at such a close distance seemed insurmountable, not to mention the continual risk of getting paint in my eye. I'm not sure about that sewing needle @either BOB73. That sounds far too dangerous to attach to an eyelash.  

Thanks @tassieguy, I did indeed use a rigger. I tried a couple I had. The tip of the cheap one was a rats nest, the good one tapered to a fine point that comprised only a couple of hairs. I guess that's a good lesson of you get what you pay for. I also used a manicured cheap brush, that I took a razor blade to.  

There is a video of the process here if anyone is interested.
    PaulBDiannatassieguy
  • Roxy said:
    I did indeed use a rigger. I tried a couple I had. The tip of the cheap one was a rats nest, the good one tapered to a fine point that comprised only a couple of hairs. I guess that's a good lesson of you get what you pay for.
    All mine start off with a point and slowly turn into a rats nest.  The ratty ones are good at adding noise to a texture.
  • Glad you enjoyed the beach, @Roxy, and that it's cooled down a bit for you. :)