The drapery has started to dry and haze over which is making it look funky. Also, I painted the drapery three times trying to get the lighting dialed in between my shadow box and studio. [What a rabbit hole that was.]
My goals on this were: Simplify the drapery; focus on the skull; use large hog brushes.
I used a small detail brush on the corkscrew and it's the weakest part of the painting in my opinion. It looks a little cartoonish compared to the more painterly look overall.
16 x 20 on 1/4" birch panel with poplar support. The skull is cast resin (from a real skull) and I polished it with brown shoe polish to get the color and sheen. That's a real bottle (empty) of chloroform from an army surplus store. I have a companion bottle of strychnine as well in case I need two old bottles of poison that the military did god knows what with.
The photo looks like the paint is covered in dust. I don't think it is... at least I didn't notice that on the easel.
I think I might paint it all over again, while it's set-up in the shadow box, maybe in a smaller format on canvas. Overall very happy with it but next time I'd like to improve the drapery, use NO SMALL BRUSHES, pay a little more attention to the draftsmanship, and paint every element with the same or similar level of abstraction.