Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP - Cinque Terre

Comments

• Wow! It's looking amazing now..! :)
    PaulB
  • edited January 1
    Quite incredible! Also very interesting idea to do this with little detail, etc. as you mentioned above, and it would be recognizable. I'd also like to see sunshine in it, if that's possible?
    PaulB
  • You have a plan and you follow it. I think it is wise to do something on Sink Terror every day while working on other projects. That will keep your rigger refreshed. Your brick technique is tremendous. It will actually look more realistic that way. 
    PaulB
  • Amazing, the bricks look real and this is just inspiring - I need to brush up on my Small details after watching this great work @PaulB
  • @PaulB !!!    Wow!   It is looking fantastic!
  • Thank you @Richard_P, @Forgiveness, @BOB73, @alsart, @Julianna.

@Forgiveness there is no obvious bright sunshine in the photo, and the light is behind the viewer, so I won't be painting any.  I don't have what it takes to add light to a photo that doesn't already have it.

@BOB73, yes, make a plan, follow the plan.  It may be a dull way to do things, but it does get me to the end.  I will ply the brick trick with rigger rigor.

@alsart don't get into large detailed paintings if you like starting new things, or enjoy closure.  It can be a bit of a slog.  For example, this won't get varnished until 2019.
    Forgiveness
  • I completely understand and looking forward to a wonderful one to come from this regardless.
    PaulB
  • I continue to be awed by your skill and your persistence! Those bricks are amazing!
    PaulB

• I know I keep saying it but this looking great, @PaulB . Its going to be absolutely awesome when finished. Keep hurrying slowly. :)
    PaulB
  • Rigger with rigor away but watch the spaces between the tricky brickies for rigor mortars.
    PaulBBoudiccaForgiveness
  • Magnificent.  Its going to be worth a fortune when its done.  For inspiration painting bricks see Vermeer's Little Street.  The brickwork is amazing.
    PaulB
  • Thanks @MikeDerby.  I have studied "The Little Street", he painted every brick.  It's wonderful, and one of the paintings I'd like to copy some day.  Thanks for reminding me about it.
  • Day 90 (319 hours)

To quote @Boudicca buggeration!  It happened again, my clamped, semi-repaired broken easel snapped off in a different place, this time causing much more damage to the painting, floor and foot.  Distressing.

Don't buy crappy equipment folks.
  • Hope your not injured to bad @PaulB that painting coming down would be like a guilotine I car the bear to think 
    PaulB
  •  :'( Oh dear. Not too irreparable I hope.
    PaulB
  • Oh Paul..!

I hope it's recoverable.

I really recommend getting a proper easel that can support this large size next time!
    PaulB
  • Bloody hell Paul!

When you do finish this epic piece it will have some stories attached to it. Chin up mate, we’re with you.
    PaulB
  • So sickeningly disappointing. 
    Very very sorry to hear this. 
     :'( 
    I hope your foot isn’t too badly hurt and that the painting is recoverable. 
    If anyone can restore it , you can. 

PaulB
  • Sorry to hear that, @PaulB. Hope it's salvageable. And I hope you foot is ok. 
    PaulB
  • Quit fooling around with that robot vampire thing and get a real easel. I'd hate to see the finished Sink Terror with radiused corners or the bottom six inches cut off. Take a half a dozen 2x4s to a carpenter and for $50 he should be able to build you a free standing easel that will support a 4x8 foot canvas or debond panel.  Then you can use that robot vampire as a picture holder or a pistol target.

PaulBedavison
  • PS I hope your foot gets better real soon.
    PaulB
  • BOB73 said:

Quit fooling around with that robot vampire thing and get a real easel. I'd hate to see the finished Sink Terror with radiused corners or the bottom six inches cut off. Take a half a dozen 2x4s to a carpenter and for $50 he should be able to build you a free standing easel that will support a 4x8 foot canvas or debond panel.  Then you can use that robot vampire as a picture holder or a pistol target.

Give me an hour and it will be in the trash.

My fancy easel is still two to three months away, so minutes ago I got hold of a decent temporary one so I can get to work later.  I just need to assemble it.

I found two Blick's stores within range, so I went and spent a little too much time there.  I also got a palette knife.  For anyone out there who also purchased that set of five palette knives off Amazon for $7, please, go get a real palette knife for something like $9.  What a difference.

BOB73 said:
    PS I hope your foot gets better real soon.
    Foot is only bruised, no problem there.  I've wiped off all the smeared paint I can.  I don't want to attack it with turpentine because I'll probably take off more than I want.  I straightened the bent corner with some light hammering.  It looks okay, but the foam core is gone in places.

Almost back in business, then a few evenings of repair painting.

Thank you everyone, all is well, I'm just annoyed.
    ForgivenessRenoirJulianna
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 11
    @PaulB ; I just sorted my stash of brushes and knives a few days ago.  My husband's knives are way more serious than mine.  Only occasionally have I have had to use his over the years.  Basically, I use the more flimsy ones made for artists and I have found these things useful: The ones with pointy tips and sharp edges I have found better for painting.  The rounded tipped ones seem to mix paints better.  The ones with raised mid-sections keep my knuckles off whatever the surface is that I'm working on.  I think that the flexible ones, the ones with bounce, are easier to work with.  The Bob Ross ones are really neat with many angles to choose from in a single knife and they fit the human hand better than any others I have tried.  Do you have any more advice about palette knives?  Thanks.  Summer 
  • Summer said:
    @PaulB ; What do you mean real palette knife?  I just sorted my stash of brushes and knives a few days ago.  My husband's knives are way more serious than mine.  I have had to use his over the years.  Basically, I use the more flimsy ones made for artists and I have found these things useful: The ones with pointy tips and sharp edges I have found better for painting.  The rounded tipped ones seem to mix paints better.  The ones with raised mid-sections keep my knuckles off whatever the surface is that I'm working on.  I think that the flexible ones, the ones with bounce, are easier to work with.  The Bob Ross ones are really neat with many angles to choose from in a single knife and they fit the human hand better than any others I have tried.  Do you have any more advice about palette knives?  Thanks.  Summer 
    Sorry @Summer, I was not very descriptive.  I just got a palette knife that is an elongated triangular shape, with a rounded tip and a dog-leg in the handle, having a very flexible tip.  It was 5 times the cost, but still low.  It does not have any sharp corners, and I'm guessing it won't scratch my palette like the others.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited January 11
    Sounds cool!  A real sound investment as well.  :)
  • @PaulB, I'm glad to hear the dammage wasn't worse and that you can continue. Yin and Yang being what they are makes me wonder if you secretly "made" this accident happen so you could spend some more money on your studio and supplies. Or should we just blame it on Karma (you know- that leprachan guy or was that the Goblin)?
    PaulB
  • BOB73 said:
    ... wonder if you secretly "made" this accident happen so you could spend some more money on your studio and supplies.
    Oh @BOB73, I don't need an excuse to buy unnecessary supplies.
    RenoirBOB73
  • I bet you had fun disposing of the old one  :)
    PaulB
  • This is amazing....I love it
    PaulB
  • So glad the damage was only superficial. I've been watching you do this one for so long I'd have been devastated had it been beyond repair. :)
    PaulB
  • tassieguy said:
    So glad the damage was only superficial. I've been watching you do this one for so long I'd have been devastated had it been beyond repair. :)
    Yeah, pretty minor damage.  Right now I'm enjoying the impressive stability of a real easel.  Still on track for a July finish, I think.
    tassieguyRenoir
  • Phew !! 
    That’s great news @ PaulB    :)
    PaulB
  • Wonderful and complex, eye-catching composition

PaulB
  • Can we have a pic of your new easel?
  • I'm glad all is well, also like your new palette knife, I have similar but rectangular, Italian Rosewood handle and brass ring. It's worth the few more dollars, as so many experienced artists say of this matter.
    PaulB
  • I am extremely envious of the new easel you are getting - I can't wait to see it.  I'm glad your painting and foot are recovering - is there a way to mount it on a wall to paint in the meantime?  You're clever enough, I'm sure you've thought of everything.   
    PaulB
  • After the last two times I wouldn't suggest any more improvised attachments!! ;) :p
    JuliannaPaulBBoudicca
  • @BOB73 Here's the current setup:

That's a Richeson Dulce easel, in Liptus wood.  It's lightweight (under 30 lbs) but quite rigid and nicely made.  I got to play with it in Blicks to determine that.  With Cinque Terre on the easel, it's quite sturdy, which is good because I won't be painting anything larger than that.  It is also one of the cheaper models, but very nice.  It's under 5 feet with the mast down.

I have a Hughes on order, but that won't be here for a while.

Most important piece of equipment here - the insulated coffee cup, so I can lose myself for hours and the coffee is still warm.

@Forgiveness I think we have the same palette knife.

@Julianna, @Richard_P is right - you don't want me operating anything more powerful than a rigger brush.  Also, wall-mounted easels seem wrong to me - there's a Blair Witch aspect to them.
    BOB73JuliannaSummer
  • I see lots of OCD, very neat compared to my temp studio - my light source is a 7 foot paddle board oar with a light clipped on it @PaulB ,...
    I am now tempted to get a full easel and prepare for my move back to the outside on my balcony

PaulB
  • Done - I ordered it, now I await the Email that says  "Sorry we don't ship to Hawaii, but we will offer to ship for $500 bucks,..." that is what normally happens

Arriving Jan 24 - Jan 30
    $195.07

PaulB
  • Can the Richeson Dulce easel support paintings completely vertical like Mark Carder reccomends?
    PaulB
  • edavison said:
    Can the Richeson Dulce easel support paintings completely vertical like Mark Carder reccomends?
    Yes, it can go slightly beyond vertical (shown below) for the pastel folks.  In the vertical position you would probably need to add a weight to the base if the painting is heavy.  Or if your painting had fallen on you several times, like mine.

I would like to point out though, that if I had any skills with wood and tools, I would have made Mark's easel and saved money.
  • Two of marks easels tied together would be perfect.
    I had a deprived childhood we didn't have cordless power tools, in fact portable power drills were only used on big holes or masonry otherwise you used the hand turned bit brace or the manual eggbeater type. 
    PaulB
  • I suppose I shouldn't say this, but every time I see your progress on this painting I see dollars and euros.  Even more, I see it on an auction block for millions of them.  I hope you never feel despair as you move to completing it.  :)
    PaulBRenoirWishiwaspainting