Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

#3 Challenge...No Blending Piece of Work...May 1-June 1

Comments

• Well I started working on mine today... I have never ever ever wiped off a painting and started over three times... but I did today... once I broke my automatic hand gesture of blending as I went... it got easier. This challenge will definitely stick in my mind ... it looks awful up close but better the further away I get.... Tanya... you have my sympathy.. but look as it as a learning experience...... and we may just learn something. :D

Gary I am so glad you are joining in the challenge... glad you are getting back to the easel.

Martin... that painting is magical.... thanks! ;;)
    tjs
  • Just to give us hope This is by Mark C. Weber
    Martin_J_CraneHarrellelenastudioania
  • I looked at his stuff - really really impressive. Thanks!
  • tjstjs -
    edited May 2013

Well I started working on mine today... I have never ever ever wiped off a painting and started over three times... but I did today... once I broke my automatic hand gesture of blending as I went... it got easier. This challenge will definitely stick in my mind ... it looks awful up close but better the further away I get.... Tanya... you have my sympathy.. but look as it as a learning experience...... and we may just learn something. :D

Gary I am so glad you are joining in the challenge... glad you are getting back to the easel.

Martin... that painting is magical.... thanks! ;;)

Mine is already in the trash! :(( I was doing a train and I wiped off the front 3 times too! Kind of sick of it. I'll try to get a pic today. It's just such a hassle cause I gotta tear apart my living room to take a pic.

This challenge should be ongoing for us overblenders! Maybe we could start a support group 8->
  • edited May 2013
    Ok, Sue, from one Don't like it to another, what did you add to your wisdom pile from this attempt? How has this painting improved all other paintings when this challenge is over? Tanya
  • edited May 2013
    Sue, I'm not saying that you should change to this style, but I really like this (and I'm not just saying that to be nice). You might want to add a splash of color or brighter white near your center of interest, but as far as the painterly style, it looks really good.
    tjsGary
  • tjstjs -
    edited May 2013
    Sue I do like this painting :-c There's a lot of really good things in here. What size is it?
  • Tanya, that's a good question. It made me think. I'm going to say that I added the fact that I don't have to freak out about painting all the details in everything, especially a face that is at a distance. Also, as far as improving all other paintings, I think I need to have a better plan when I start. Talk about wonky values. I knew it when I was doing it, but then I had promised myself not to change one single brush stroke once it was applied, so I didn't.

Martin, thank you. I do like the painterly style. I just kept thinking, wow, this really sucks.

tjs, thank you. It started out as an 11x14 but I cropped it down to 8x10.

Like I said I am going to try again. I will be out for a bit but when I get back in a week or so I will do another one, no putzing with it once the stroke is down.
    tjs
  • We know Sue sells her paintings. Do you think that this no blend painting of hers would sell as fast as her other paintings? I realize that isn't the absolute test of a painting, but it is a good one. And, I realize the purpose of this challenge wasn't to make a good painting, but we all hate to make paintings that aren't good. We even like our sketches to be good.
  • I am encouraged after yesterday's painting session... I am learning a lot from this challenge. Hopefully I will be able to combine my "old" way of blending as I go and this new way of not moving my paint around so much to create a nice balance of the two. I have to make sure the values are right even if it is the wrong color it seems to work... If I combine the best of both methods I think I will like the results.... we shall see.

Tam... keep trying.. it gets easier I promise... but I still have to stop myself from fixing and that makes me realize how much I have been doing that. There are times I think fixing would improve the painting and now I am beginning to recongnize there are also times when fixing is a waste of time... finding the right balance will be key.

:D
    tjs
  • tjs I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello, my name is Sue, and I am an over blender.
    marieb
  • The nurse will be around with the green jello soon.
    tjsRonna
  • Grandma said:

We know Sue sells her paintings. Do you think that this no blend painting of hers would sell as fast as her other paintings? I realize that isn't the absolute test of a painting, but it is a good one. And, I realize the purpose of this challenge wasn't to make a good painting, but we all hate to make paintings that aren't good. We even like our sketches to be good.

I don't have a really good idea of what would sell better, but I would be inclined to buy work like this one over a more "realistic" one. I really admire loose painterly work.
    tjsGaryelena
  • Amrit and Gary....so glad you are both joining us...I'm a late starter myself...since my camera broke...I'll really have to get moving on this one...
  • Hey Martin, that is very encouraging.
    Martin_J_Crane
  • Sue, This critique could be of your painting:
    "Never, for example, has the northern daylight in our apartments been rendered with the realistic power contained in the canvas by M. Manet [sic] entitled Luncheon. Never has the seething life of the street, the teeming of the crowd on the asphalt and of vehicles on the roadway, the waving of the trees on the boulevard in dust and light, the elusiveness, the transience, the immediacy of movement been captured and fixed in all its prodigious fluidity as it is in the extraordinary and marvelous sketch which M. Manet [sic] has catalogued under the title Boulevard des Capucines. From a distance, this stream of life, this great shimmering of light and shade, spangled with brighter light and stronger shade, must be saluted as a masterpiece. As you approach, everything vanishes; all that remains is an indecipherable chaos of palette scrapings.

Clearly, this is not the ultimate statement of art in general, nor of this art in particular. This sketch must be transformed into a finished work. But what a clarion call for those who have a subtle ear to hear, and how far it carries into the future!"

You have painted a wonderful example of early expressionism!
  • Tanya, that is very encouraging indeed, and I am not quite sure how to respond. You know, this business of no blending does feel very impressionistic. I can see the merits and am certainly going to do more of it. By that I mean do my best to get the exact color I want on my brush, lay it down and leave it. It takes a real concerted effort, of course. It is fun, though. There certainly is no danger of over working a piece! It's kind of like having done all of the rehearsals, you are now going out on center stage. If you flub the line, there is no going back. It is what it is and you accept that.
  • Sue, I like this painting. Especially of the man. The man is great.
    I'm almost finished with mine. I've decided that a larger size canvas would have been easier than an 8x10 for this challenge. My horses look blended. I think because the space is so small and the paint is thin. What I've learned is that I should use more paint on my brush. I just can't seem to let myself do that.
  • Maybe this will help you see what we see:
    043.jpg 45.6K
    tjsmarieb
  • This looks like a very, very good impressionism painting.
    Martin_J_Cranesue_deutschertjsCin_D
  • Ronna, thank you. That's weird because I was thinking I needed to use LESS paint on my brush!
    Martin, dang! That looks cool like that! thanks!
    Martin_J_Crane
  • here is an attempt but I have the rest of the month to try again. I don't like it at all.

I like it quite a lot. Not only is it wonderfully suggestive, but it has excellent depth, which is hard (for me) to achieve.
    sue_deutschertjs
  • Sue it looks fantastic framed and could easily fit right in with some of the impressionists paintings at some museum :) Don't use less paint. More paint the better.

Ronna that was my mistake was picking a scene that needed a larger canvas for it to work. So I started another one today and what a difference. This is a fun way to paint!

I also have a tendency not to use enough paint which I didn't on my first attempt. So I took a tiny palette knife and scrape up a bunch of paint and pick up all the paint with my brush. That way I'm forced too! Seems to be working so far!
    sue_deutscher
  • here is an attempt but I have the rest of the month to try again. I don't like it at all.

I really really like this!
    sue_deutscher
  • Savannah said:

Shirley Seput came up with the great idea of our #3 challenge!
    Under Mark's advise...absolutely NO blending...:-)

I'm in ... will try with a portrait I need to do for someone.

G
  • Welcome aboard Garry...its good to see so many people joining in this time...it will be interesting to see all the different subjects in no blend fashion (still life, portraits and landscapes)....this is exciting!!!!! ;;)
    tjs
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    Cin_D - this is soooo good!!! I love it!!!
    Cin_Dbhopali
  • Mark_CarderMark_Carder admin
    @sue_deutscher - love your painting too!!! I really do!!!
    sue_deutscher
  • Cin-D, that looks great! Congratulations!
    Cin_D
  • Cin-D !!! You did a fantastic job!! :-bd
    Cin_D
  • Cin_D it looks great! I love forsythias and your cup looks wonderful. Please do another :) :-c
    Cin_D
  • Both Sue and Cin-D's paintings are testimony to the benefit of painting without blending.
    Cin_D
  • Thank you everyone for the kind words and kudos. I made progress from my first painting, learned more about the whole process, and really enjoyed the challenge! Tjs I'm seriously considering trying it again for my third. Oh!! this forum and learning to paint are so much fun! \:D/
    tjsmarieb
  • tjstjs -
    edited May 2013
    Cin_D please do more! I got into some really bad habits from the beginning that I am finding really hard to break. I've had to wipe off some sections 3 times cause I start blending. I am just going to continue painting like this till I break the habit - good, bad or indifferent :)

I also watched the latest hangout with Mark and Garry twice where they talk about this. After last night's painting session - I think I just need that playing in the background while I paint!!!

http://forum.drawmixpaint.com/discussion/970/hangout-9-three-skills-for-painting-realism#latest
    Cin_D
  • elena said:

I hope you like and please,please tell my what you feel when you watch it,describe your feeling,please,even if you don't feel nothing tell me.I hope you all enjoy :) :)

The feeling of a fresh spring day maybe because of the blossoms on the tree. It feels like morning to me. The air feels clear. It also feels like this is someplace in Tuscany maybe?

I love it ^:)^
    cynthiagwilsonelena
  • This looks like an excellent example of post-impressionist work. The treatment of your flowering trees reminds me of Van Gogh's Field of Poppies. I really like this painting and I think it deserves to be hung on your wall or sold. I wish mine were coming out as well as this one is. You've done a great job IMHO. =D>
    Martin_J_Craneelena
  • I agree with Grandma. I really like this work and it is done in such a unique style and palette. Really nice work!
    elenaAmrit
  • elena

A pleasant painting; nice composition, excellent loose brushwork, nice color choice and balance.

Are you working from a photo or imagination?

The figure's shoulders are a tad too wide and square (he could use a dab of sunlight on his head). I am struggling with the shadow shapes under the cart. The grass bank yellow/green on the LHS is a bit too strong and distracts from the focal point.

All in all a lovely landscape.

Denis

elena
  • CinD, love this? Great set up and l really like the way you painted this. =D>
    Cin_Delena
  • Elena, I get a really good feeling when I look at this. I love those trees on the left! Great job.
    elena
  • edited May 2013
    Sue,
    You have wonderful style painting loose. I've noticed the first time you painted the baseball and mit. Still my favorite. When you do pastures with Farm animals, I'm always impress!!! Excellent Work!
    =D>
  • CinD,
    Wow, and Wow. =D> Great job, and it look really good!!!
    Cin_D