Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Demo - Using Draw Mix Paint Method - In Acrylics

edited November 2012 in Post Your Paintings
Hi All,
I'm sharing my how to DMP method in Acrylics. Comments and suggestions are welcome. Not a pro, this is just how I paint using this method. I'm hoping this helps.

First I setup my stay wet palette. I line the bottom with wet paper towels. Soak with water. Paper towel is overly damp.
Then I cut a piece of wax palette paper to size and place on top of the paper towels. Push down on palette paper to let the back get nice and wet. This keeps the paints wet and workable for weeks to a month. Also your paints are not bleeding into the paper towel.

The brand of paints I'm using is Liquitex. Other great brands to use are Golden, and W&N. Personally, it's up to you. These brands are fantastic for two reasons, I see where I'm going in a painting on the first layer, and the color shift is hardly or not noticeable when paint dries. Matte acrylics I find dry darker. So on the second layer you'll have to adjust color mixes if you use matte.

As I stated in another thread, these acrylics have wonderful open time, even better a with retarder medium. I like Golden's retarder. Why am I not using Golden's brand. I find that brand is too shiny, and slippery to paint with. You can fix the shine with matte medium.
Liquitex and W&N has a light sheen, and it's not slippery when painting. I have to work with a medium I can control. Golden is an excellent acrylic, but I can't control it for some reason. If anyone is using Golden's please feel free to give your wonderful views and comments. I know it will be helpful.

I'm working from life. I'm using the P. Divider I've purchased a while back to get the width and height of each item. The rest I've sketched in detail for shadow placement.

Next, mixing and matching color. I use another wax palette for mixing, and then transfer spot on mixes to wet palette. I keep a notebook handy and write down color mixes just in case I run out. I also paint a color swatch next to recipe. I used a palette knife for mixing. I brush mix for mostly adjusting value. You can do both.

Here's my setup and first process photo. Sorry if it's not a great shot. David need those photo lessons. :( -

Set Wet palette Mixes -

I'm in the ugly stage at the moment.image

I'm working on this project all this week. Have off from work. Yay. I'll be sharing my ups and down stages. All input and comments are welcome. Have a great week. Also color picture will vary from my camera to your monitor.
Cyn.
001.jpg 73.4K
VangietjsGaryshirley_seputgusRonnamyc

Comments

• CharleyBoyCharleyBoy
    edited November 2012
    Breeding paints and color shafts!!!---Oh my!!!! :-O Cyn, are those legitimate typos or Freudian slips? ;)) All kidding aside, you deserve a big complement on your ability to articulate. In this age of abbreviated communication, it's refreshing to see someone use language with skill and clarity. Well done Cyn.

This is a great topic--it all looks great so far, and I'm eager to see how your project develops because I'm interested in learning about acrylics too.
    cynthiagwilson
  • :)) :)) :)) :)) =)) Charley, I've been at the computer too long. Typing is not my thing all the time. No not legit typos...lolol. Lots of slips. =))
    You keep me cracking my side with your great humor.
    The first layer is my road map for the second application.
    Take care and thanks for the Spell Check...lolol :))
    studioania
  • tjstjs ★★
    edited November 2012
    What are talking about the ugly stage??? Gosh I love that lemon and what you have done surrounding it. It's so cool! I love the way you did the values. You are an expert at that. I'd give anything to be able to paint what you did here ^:)^ :-c ^:)^

You said you paint in two stages? You aren't going to touch that are you?
  • How lucky are we???? I think this is so generous of you to share your process and I love following wip's... it is going to be terrific!! ;;)
    cynthiagwilson
  • So exciting to see this painting take shape Cyn style. It looks wonderful, nothing ugly about it!! Donna
    cynthiagwilson
  • tjstjs ★★
    I honestly don't get the ugly part either!
    cynthiagwilson
  • edited November 2012
    Tjs - Thanks Hon. Yes, I'm going to touch with another layer of paint. This was just the first layer to show example of DMP approach in acrylics. :|
    I'm glad you like as is, I just think it looks a hot mess. >:D<

Shirley - I hope so. Thanks for the encouragement.

Here's the Finished First layer - :D
    ooops Scroll down...lol
    =))
  • GaryGary ★★
    Puckered up just looking at them Cyn!! Yummy! :-bd
    cynthiagwilson
  • :)) =)) Thanks Gary!!!
  • tjstjs ★★
    I WOULD NOT TOUCH THIS! ^:)^
  • RonnaRonna ★★
    This is really interesting to see how this is done in acrylics Cyn. You could leave as is and it would be great as tjs said. But I'm super excited to see how you finish this.
  • Thanks for sharing! Love watching your process, have always been soooo jealous of your talent!
  • so good!!!
  • Thanks Ronna and Mark,

Liz, I don't why. :-O You are just as talented and more!!! I love and admire your style of painting. Never got over the typewriter, and sweet cake painting. Your rose is hot! You have a unique way and I LOVE IT!!! I'm thrilled to see you paint.
    You Rock!!! >:D<
    I do thank you for your love of my work. I have the same feelings on how you handle the brush.

:x
  • Ok, got emails and request to keep the first painting as is. So I will, for now. It's filed away.
    Working on another demo, here's the first stage. Painting Cherries.
    Laying in spot on values from dark to light. The best part about working in acrylics, they dry fast, and I can make corrections on the spot. Thanks for viewing.
    002a.jpg 92.4K
    CharleyBoy
  • Well, I am just speechless and that is a very rare thing!
    CharleyBoy
  • Got my popcorn and I am watching a great show!! :D
    LizONeal
  • GaryGary ★★
    Super nice Cyn! Love the brush stokes and not over blending which gives a lot of wonderful character to the painting.
    cynthiagwilson
  • Hey Cyn, I am just catching-up and I am in awe about what I am seeing here!! Wow great demo and paintings....oh I need to pack out my acrylics paint they just lay around useless....
    Thank you so much for that Cyn!!
    =D> ^:)^ :x
    cynthiagwilson
  • edited November 2012
    :-h
    Here's the second layer for just the cherries. This layer I used retarder. I adjust the cast light value up a bit. I'm going to work on the stems, and probably do another layer on The cherries. I'll see.
    Need to finish other stuff around the house. Funny, you're off from work, why is it that you have more stuff to do? :bz

Thanks guys for the great feed back. You're just too cool. :x

CharleyBoymycMarcustjs
  • GaryGary ★★
    Your first stage and the final are both beautiful Cyn. Congratulations ...have to admit I'm a real fan of your first stage but would be proud to hang either in our home! :)
    tjs
  • Hi Gary,
    This is not done. I still have to do the stem, and touch up the shine part of the painting. I got some more work to do. It's have way done. Thanks!!! ;;)
  • tjstjs ★★
    edited November 2012
    Cyn please don't hate me :(( But your initial layin's? Those are a work of art in themselves!!! If I could do that? I would be such a happy little painter :-c Couple highlights and I would have called it done. I've tried to do what you did here? And mine always turns out like crap :( I am so jealous!

Don't get me wrong cause I do love your finished work and am a huge fan of yours. Your paintings are truly beautiful and show a great level of skill that most artists just don't get. I know these cherries are going to be fantastic and turn out as wonderful as your other paintings both technically and artistically.

But I don't think you see how wonderful you naturally paint! Oh my gosh!!!!! :)

cynthiagwilson
  • Cyn, have you tried to just lay in the exact color you want like we do with oils when using the acrylics? Is color mixing just too hard to get what you want to achieve with one layer in that medium? I tried them on a couple of paintings and just hated working with them but did not have anything to slow down the dry time and they were cheap paints.
    cynthiagwilson
  • edited November 2012
    LizONeal said:

Cyn, have you tried to just lay in the exact color you want like we do with oils when using the acrylics? Is color mixing just too hard to get what you want to achieve with one layer in that medium? I tried them on a couple of paintings and just hated working with them but did not have anything to slow down the dry time and they were cheap paints.

Hi Liz,
    I have tried that the first time working this method, didn't go well. Acrylics is like drawing. You put in the foundation and you keep building. Liz acrylics is not for everyone. At times, not even for me. I have a great amount of paints here (acrylics), and I just don't want to throw them away. Too much invested.

The color mixing is not hard to match at all. Just use the color checker, and make your paint piles a little bigger. Even in oil's you put in values, then later go back and adjust one area at a time.

Golden's retard is a great slow medium. I use it a lot for placement and blending.

Matte or cheap acrylics are not good if you're a beginner. I've learned the hard way.
    Acrylics are patience medium, like watercolor. Get canvas paper for practice, and find some great you tube videos.
    Will Kemp is a great teacher for acrylics. Denis provided his link. Here it is again. He has some free tutorials in loose strokes. He did a Monet I want to try.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/willkempartschool/videos?view=0 :-h :x
    myc
  • tjs said:

Cyn please don't hate me :(( But your initial layin's? Those are a work of art in themselves!!! If I could do that? I would be such a happy little painter :-c Couple highlights and I would have called it done. I've tried to do what you did here? And mine always turns out like crap :( I am so jealous!

Don't get me wrong cause I do love your finished work and am a huge fan of yours. Your paintings are truly beautiful and show a great level of skill that most artists just don't get. I know these cherries are going to be fantastic and turn out as wonderful as your other paintings both technically and artistically.

But I don't think you see how wonderful you naturally paint! Oh my gosh!!!!! :)

:x I could never hate you TJS. You're only saying what you feel, and I truly admire that.
    Sweety, I just don't see it. I'm not use to just painting, and leaving it there.
    I'll do more studies and see. I love your encouragement. THANK YOU. :x
  • edited November 2012
    Hi All,
    Wanted to let you know that I will have the finished painting after the Holiday. We are now preparing for a big family meal. Sorry for the delay. Take care and Happy Thanksgiving. \m/ :-h
    CharleyBoy
  • tjstjs ★★
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too!
  • GaryGary ★★
    Looking forward to seeing it Cyn.....Happy Thanksgiving! :)
  • Just admiring this again Cyn...so great!