Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

COMPLETED - Cinque Terre

Comments

• Patience Testing

I've learned not to worry about how terrible things look at first.  This was one of the hardest things for me to learn.  With DMP you start laying down black, and gradually get lighter, but half way along, it looks awful.  Painting in layers is no different.  It starts out awful, but with every layer of finer detail it starts to look better.  Example:

At first, just colored shapes.  It doesn't matter how bad the paint coverage is, whether the canvas/panel shows through, how straight the lines are, but the colors and values are all that really matter.  I don't even realize what I'm painting here.  Walls, canopy and windows, but it's just a mess of shapes.

After some of the shapes are there, a few hard lines are added, some shadows added, and some of the form appears.  Still looks awful.

Focussing on the form, the edges are straightened, and bold details added.

Finally it starts to read properly, and to me, that balcony looks like it's in sunlight.  All the lines are still crude, and nothing is truly straight, the paint coverage is not thick, but none of that seems to matter.

Adding the decay to the building surfaces changes things a lot too.  This is not complete, but it's starting to look more real.

Simulating the weathering on the buildings helps a lot too.  Again, no line is straight, no paint coverage is at 100%.  Just doesn't matter.
    Julianna
  • Day 144 (532 hours).

Over 99% of the panel is covered, as 1% represents 15 square inches, and there is less white than that.

I'm gradually working right to left on the buildings, with that red and the adjacent pink building being the focus.  The greenery on the left is being filled in also, one green value at a time.  Aside from that, it's very easy to pick any spot on the painting, look closely and realize how much is still missing.  So that's what I'm doing a lot of, just picking a random spot and working on it.  I've spent several days just weathering concrete.  Joy.

If I can finish this by May 1 (unlikely, but remotely possible), then it can be entered into a competition in my home town.  I'm going to try really hard to make that.  This would be great because of how close to home it is, otherwise I can't imagine shipping this thing anywhere.
    BoudiccaBobitalyjrbgolfsalsart
  • mind me asking, what are those red and blue things ?
  • Verratti said:
    mind me asking, what are those red and blue things ?
    Those are umbrellas.  I've barely begun painting those, so I just put some colored blobs in there for now.

SummerVerratti
  • Stunning! You're in the home stretch now, Paul! 
    PaulB
  • My hat's off to you Paul (all of them) a 21st century guy with the patience of an 18th century artist. 
    RenoirPaulB
  • Yes this is amazing and inspiring.
    PaulB
  • This is incredible!

PaulB
  • Protein is being introduced.  This is the most fun part to paint, it's just tiny color blobs and abstract shapes.

When this is done, we're going to play a game of spot @BOB73.
    JuliannaBobitalyVerrattiRenoiranwesha
  • There needs to be an OMG!!!! button!   this is fabulous @PaulB     and your protein!  fantastic!!!
    PaulBRenoir
  • It looks amazing and keeps getting better. If you enter a local competition the race will be for 4th place.  This will take the first 3 spots.  You are giving new meaning to the term patience. 
    PaulB
  • Thank you folks.

@Wishiwaspainting there is a local competition titled "You are Here", intended to be a look at different cities and places in the world.  It's a perfect match.  The problem is that I need to paint 10 figures, 2 boats and complete 1 building per day to finish on time.  It's not looking good, although I'm trying to do it, to the exclusion of everything else.  37 days until the deadline...

If I don't make the deadline, so be it, but at least I'll be finished in May, and then maybe I can paint a 5" x 7" flower - something I can finish in under a year.
    JuliannaRenoir
  • Just excellent, I hope you make the comp deadline - @PaulB
    PaulBRenoir
  • I wouldn't rush and ruin it though..  :/
    PaulB
  • @PaulB    that is a perfect competition for this piece!!!  You CAN do it.  
    PaulB
  • @PaulB, Log out, get some eyedrops, when the new easel arrives leave it in the box until after the contest and don't worry about updating us. We will miss you but know it is for a good reason.
    PaulBRenoirJulianna
  • edited March 26
    One day the realism paintings done in our days will be served as a reference to our generation.  This painting will probably be shown to people to see how it looked like in our days. Nice job
    BOB73PaulB
  • @PaulB ; I just noticed what might be a mistake, The red building directly under the palm tree (outlined by the distant water)  seems to have a roof line slanted down and to the right which would make it similar to many of the others but it looks like the half of the building under that roof line was painted in as bushes/trees. If it's a mistake, it's the first one I've found on anything you painted so far.
    PaulB
  • @Verratti, that's very kind, thank you.
  • @BOB73, do you mean this:

If that's the part you mean, then yes, it's riddled with mistakes.  Ignoring the color differences (because it's not a white-balanced photo, and the painting isn't varnished), lots of angles and distances are off.  The roofline is at the wrong angle, the window is too low and not tall enough, the distant wall is too low, and on and on.

This is one of the buildings I painted with a big brush, so it suffers from low resolution and wobbly lines.  With my smaller brushes I can add small shadows, like the one that should be under that window.

This is also before I realized that trying to do this wet-on-wet doesn't work well for scenes like this.  But most of the issues are because of the drawing.  In hindsight, I should have spent more time getting the drawing precise before starting the painting.
    JuliannaBOB73Boudicca
  • @PaulB     keep going!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!   This is looking awesome!   rest, eat well, deep breaths when you need to relax.  Visualize when you are at rest and in bed - you are genius with setting a plan - this is very doable.  I'm not saying it will be easy, but nothing worthwhile ever is.   You have many cheerleaders who are here if you need a boost or encouragement - imagine, breathe, relax, have fun, it will happen and with JOY!  xoxoxo

PaulB
  • Beautiful stuff.  I hope you can make the contest without sacrificing your standards at all.  I always end up dissatisfied when I rush but if anyone can handle it you can.  On the other hand, its great to have a goal and a deadline because finishing is wonderful after months on a single project.
    RenoirPaulB
  • Now that I see it in comparison with the photo I can see why I thought it was wrong, @PaulB . But those things you identified as mistakes are merely occasions of artistic license. 
    PaulB
  • Day 155 (589 hours).

All the boats exist, albeit in outline form.  Most of the bushes are done, but not all.  More details and figures added.  30 days remaining until exhibition - still achievable.

FilurenRenoirIrishcajunJessicaArt
  • Wonderful job! I can sit and look at the reflections in the water and just gaze away!
    PaulBRenoirSummer
  • Beautiful. Don't get in a hurry but don't waste time either. At least you won't have to take time out to get a haircut.

RenoirPaulB
  • its looking great! man...you took on a tough one! boy! cant wait to see it progress
    PaulB
  • Have you factored in paint drying time for the exhibition? 
  • Richard_P said:
    Have you factored in paint drying time for the exhibition? 
    I believe so.  Submission by the 1st, delivery by the 19th.  90% of the painting is several months dry already.  I can give it a week to dry, then use retouch varnish on the 8th.  The weather will be warm.

Framing should arrive in days.  Delivery is easy, it just has to travel a mile.

Did I forget something?
    JuliannaBobitaly
  • If you use clove oil some paint can take more than a week to dry.. :)
    PaulB
  • PaulB

What about packing materials and bracing ?

Labeling, contact info?

Back of panel data?

Artist’s Biographical info?

A painting narrative?

Hooks, D rings, ss wire?

Denis

PaulB
  • dencal said:
    PaulB

What about packing materials and bracing ?

Labeling, contact info?

Back of panel data?

Artist’s Biographical info?

A painting narrative?

Hooks, D rings, ss wire?

Denis

Good questions @dencal.  Here is what I have so far:

materials/bracing:
    A frame is being sent to me.  When that arrives, I'll assess "stiffness" of the whole thing.  Until that arrives, I don't know what to do.

packing materials:
    None.  It only needs to travel a mile, in a car, with me.  As a "local artist" I get a special day to drop off and pick up works.

Labelling, contact info:
    I think this is something they print, based on my application.  I will verify this.

Back of panel data:
    Pretty much everything you outlined in your other post.  Materials and chemicals.  When I have the info assembled, I'll post what I have there.

Artist's bio:
    What artist?  name/email/phone

Narrative:
    Probably not.  I tried to write one when I signed up for the event, but it's a few sentences of the most horrible prose, and I'm ashamed of it.

Hooks, D rings, wire:
    Nothing yet.  I plan on heading down to the arts center to ask them about this.  They are suspiciously quiet about this stuff.
    Summer
  • PaulB 

Is it for sale?

Is it an acquisitive Prize?

Will it fit in your car?

A narrative is important to frame the context for the judging panel and the viewer or prospective buyer.

Denis

PaulB
  • How are you going to transport it? Will it fit in your car, frame and all? 
    PaulB
  • If it doesn't fit he can roll it up..  ;)
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited April 3
    dencal said:
    Is it for sale?
    Yes, it will be for sale.  Gallery cut is 40%.
    Is it an acquisitive Prize?
    No, the gallery will not buy it.  It either sells, or it goes into a late summer exhibition elsewhere.
    Will it fit in your car?
    Maybe, but I'll have to put the back seats down.  If it doesn't fit, I'll try a different car.  Otherwise minivan taxicab.  If that fails, I can walk there with it.

@BOB73, I'll be adding two inches all round for the frame, and that doesn't make it too big, I believe.  We'll see.
    A narrative is important to frame the context for the judging panel and the viewer or prospective buyer.
    Hmm, you're right of course.  I'll put some more thought into that.
  • Don't tell  them you are not an artist, they wouldn't believe you anyway.
    PaulB
  • PaulB

https://artclasscurator.com/exploring-narrative-through-art/

Here is a ‘steal’

Cinque Terre is a string of centuries-old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline. In each of the 5 towns, colorful houses and vineyards cling to steep terraces, harbors are filled with fishing boats and trattorias turn out seafood specialties along with the Liguria region’s famous sauce, pesto. The Sentiero Azzurro cliffside hiking trail links the villages and offers sweeping sea vistas.

Denis
    PaulBIrishcajun
  • Thank you @dencal, that's very kind.  I will indeed steal that.
  • I simply admire your willingness to take on such a big project- you have more “spunk” than I do. Best of luck in the show.  
    PaulB
  • My godness, this is marvelous...!!
    PaulBRenoir
  • @Richard_P, you just know I'm going to include him somewhere.

@Rtaeger, thank you.  I'm conquering fears - I'm no longer afraid of large paintings, complexity or geometry.

@jlashen, thank you.
    Renoir
  • The title could be "Cinque terre: un'anima a colori" . Translated like "Five lands: a colourful soul".
    PaulBBOB73marieb
  • Don't forget to hang magnifying glasses from the frame.
    PaulBmariebSummer
  • Feedback please on the ocean texture:  Is this working as an ocean texture?  It's very low effort and abstract.  I could spend more time and make it a bit crisper, but I'm not sure I need to.

ForgivenessmariebanweshaRenoir
  • Looks good. Maybe a few spots with a higher value where the sun hits the waves, but only a few..
    PaulBFiluren
  • This looks great, there is a sense of space between the water and the edge of the cliff and good contrast there, it's a convincing looking sea that also shows the wind blowing on the waves, maybe a little more contrast to indicate this more clearly.
    PaulB