Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

WIP - Cinque Terre

Comments

• If you use clove oil some paint can take more than a week to dry.. :)
    PaulB
  • PaulB

What about packing materials and bracing ?

Labeling, contact info?

Back of panel data?

Artist’s Biographical info?

A painting narrative?

Hooks, D rings, ss wire?

Denis

PaulB
  • dencal said:
    PaulB

What about packing materials and bracing ?

Labeling, contact info?

Back of panel data?

Artist’s Biographical info?

A painting narrative?

Hooks, D rings, ss wire?

Denis

Good questions @dencal.  Here is what I have so far:

materials/bracing:
    A frame is being sent to me.  When that arrives, I'll assess "stiffness" of the whole thing.  Until that arrives, I don't know what to do.

packing materials:
    None.  It only needs to travel a mile, in a car, with me.  As a "local artist" I get a special day to drop off and pick up works.

Labelling, contact info:
    I think this is something they print, based on my application.  I will verify this.

Back of panel data:
    Pretty much everything you outlined in your other post.  Materials and chemicals.  When I have the info assembled, I'll post what I have there.

Artist's bio:
    What artist?  name/email/phone

Narrative:
    Probably not.  I tried to write one when I signed up for the event, but it's a few sentences of the most horrible prose, and I'm ashamed of it.

Hooks, D rings, wire:
    Nothing yet.  I plan on heading down to the arts center to ask them about this.  They are suspiciously quiet about this stuff.
    Summer
  • PaulB 

Is it for sale?

Is it an acquisitive Prize?

Will it fit in your car?

A narrative is important to frame the context for the judging panel and the viewer or prospective buyer.

Denis

PaulB
  • How are you going to transport it? Will it fit in your car, frame and all? 
    PaulB
  • If it doesn't fit he can roll it up..  ;)
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited April 3
    dencal said:
    Is it for sale?
    Yes, it will be for sale.  Gallery cut is 40%.
    Is it an acquisitive Prize?
    No, the gallery will not buy it.  It either sells, or it goes into a late summer exhibition elsewhere.
    Will it fit in your car?
    Maybe, but I'll have to put the back seats down.  If it doesn't fit, I'll try a different car.  Otherwise minivan taxicab.  If that fails, I can walk there with it.

@BOB73, I'll be adding two inches all round for the frame, and that doesn't make it too big, I believe.  We'll see.
    A narrative is important to frame the context for the judging panel and the viewer or prospective buyer.
    Hmm, you're right of course.  I'll put some more thought into that.
  • Don't tell  them you are not an artist, they wouldn't believe you anyway.
    PaulB
  • Definitely walk there with it!
    PaulB
  • I think people are going to freak out when they see this painting. Wish I could be there. I wonder how much crazier it will be compared to other submissions.
    SummerRenoir
  • PaulB

https://artclasscurator.com/exploring-narrative-through-art/

Here is a ‘steal’

Cinque Terre is a string of centuries-old seaside villages on the rugged Italian Riviera coastline. In each of the 5 towns, colorful houses and vineyards cling to steep terraces, harbors are filled with fishing boats and trattorias turn out seafood specialties along with the Liguria region’s famous sauce, pesto. The Sentiero Azzurro cliffside hiking trail links the villages and offers sweeping sea vistas.

Denis
    PaulBIrishcajun
  • Thank you @dencal, that's very kind.  I will indeed steal that.
  • I simply admire your willingness to take on such a big project- you have more “spunk” than I do. Best of luck in the show.  
    PaulB
  • My godness, this is marvelous...!!
    PaulBRenoir
  • @Richard_P, you just know I'm going to include him somewhere.

@Rtaeger, thank you.  I'm conquering fears - I'm no longer afraid of large paintings, complexity or geometry.

@jlashen, thank you.
    Renoir
  • The title could be "Cinque terre: un'anima a colori" . Translated like "Five lands: a colourful soul".
    PaulBBOB73marieb
  • Don't forget to hang magnifying glasses from the frame.
    PaulBmariebSummer
  • Feedback please on the ocean texture:  Is this working as an ocean texture?  It's very low effort and abstract.  I could spend more time and make it a bit crisper, but I'm not sure I need to.

ForgivenessmariebanweshaRenoir
  • Looks good. Maybe a few spots with a higher value where the sun hits the waves, but only a few..
    PaulBFiluren
  • This looks great, there is a sense of space between the water and the edge of the cliff and good contrast there, it's a convincing looking sea that also shows the wind blowing on the waves, maybe a little more contrast to indicate this more clearly.
    PaulB
  • It is working really well and it's very convincing! I would not change a thing, maybe like Richard said only few spot of higher value. 
    PaulB
  • The sea looks brilliant as it is..you don't want to detract from the rest of the scene...
    PaulBRenoir
  • It looks great. If you really felt compelled to tinker maybe a light value here and there to suggest reflected sun. But really, it looks good as it is and does not need that. 
    PaulB
  • The water rendition is perfect.  Makes me want to go back. 
    PaulB
  • Thank you everyone, I'm happy with it now.
    Renoir
  • @PaulB Many years back I was out star gazing with a 9.25 inch Celestron Ultima, no cheap scope.  One of the legs of the tripod failed, and I observed the scope going over  but at a speed quicker than my reflexes could respond, I was a helpless witness to a disaster happening right in front of me.  So I imagine watching your hours of work head for disaster is significantly worse.  Glad all is recovered. nothing like a fine replacement tripod to set things right.
    PaulB
  • uh_clem said:
    @PaulB Many years back I was out star gazing with a 9.25 inch Celestron Ultima, no cheap scope.  One of the legs of the tripod failed, and I observed the scope going over  but at a speed quicker than my reflexes could respond, I was a helpless witness to a disaster happening right in front of me.  So I imagine watching your hours of work head for disaster is significantly worse.  Glad all is recovered. nothing like a fine replacement tripod to set things right.
    Yes, that describes it perfectly, although "hours" doesn't quite come close.  All is well now, but a tripod with a single mount point simply doesn't cut it for a heavy piece, so it's on quadrapedal supports now.
  • The water is fine from my view.  Calm enough so that the viewer can concentrate on other parts of the painting.  :) 
    PaulB
  • You dedication never ceases to amaze me @PaulB :open_mouth:
    PaulB
  • Great job, I think all of the decisions you made along the way make it uniquely yours, I wouldn't change anything unless you were not happy with it. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting in the frame, amazing job. Congratulations !
    PaulB
  • If the waves were any better you'd have to be painting from a boat. All the hotel details are almost as good as you wanted them and much better than I could have imagined them.
    PaulB
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 9
    These Notans are interesting in themselves.  Love your progress.   
    PaulB
  • Summer said:
    These Notans are interesting in themselves. 
    It's especially fun when I stitch them together into a movie.
  • Can hardly wait!  =)
    PaulB
  • I love how so many people here are routing for you @PaulB   How's it going?  Rest well, take deep breaths - you can do this!
    PaulBRenoir
  • I cannot get over this. Holy cow! Amazing!
    PaulB
  • I am in absolute awe! Just spent the past hour reading through all of this. bravo! And good luck in the competition!  I feel bad for the competitors! Haha
    BobitalyRenoir
  • Julianna said:
    I love how so many people here are routing for you @PaulB   How's it going?  Rest well, take deep breaths - you can do this!
    Yes, I'm very grateful, I find it motivating.  It won't be long now before we can put this thread to bed.

How's it going?  Well, I'm tired, and I'm spending more time on this, but I'm not speeding up the painting, which I think would be a bad idea.  The looming deadline is working for me, and it forces me to plan carefully.  I'm enjoying every moment of it.  Still on track to finish in time.

I've secured framing for this now.  I tried ordering online, at <WELL KNOWN ART SUPPLY PLACE>, but they cancelled my order because their website didn't include a $200 oversize shipping charge.  Screw that.  I shopped locally and got a decent price for a very solid wooden frame.  They even agreed to build the frame without having the painting, and finish the work a couple of days before the deadline.  I'm giving them an identically sized but blank aluminum panel to work with in the meantime.  They don't trust my measurements, and I can't blame them.
    BobitalyJuliannaRenoir
  • Let's hope you don't drop the frame on your head.. :open_mouth:
    PaulB
  • Too bad there's no one close to throw water at your face.
    Julianna
  • Ahahha go Paul gooo! 
    Julianna
  • Keep at it @PaulB. Nearly there. :)
    DipaliPaulB
  • Be prepared to be on the nightly news in your area and possibly elsewhere with this painting.  This may even launch your career!  The bidding begins.  :)

PaulBRenoir
  • Wow @PaulB going great. Good luck
    PaulB