Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Where are the Challenge Entries?

I can't find the thread.  Was it nixed?

Comments

• No, but you do need to know the magic password.. ;)
  • I am shunned!!!   :)   You can't hide - I'll find it.  Be afraid, be very afraid  :).   My painting is ready for submission.   lol
  • Impossible?  But I didn't contribute to the conversation so I really have no right to say.  I think that was a time when I was traveling.  Just google Sargent still lifes - you won't find many.  Then google the size limits??!!!  you will find that even Sargent never attempted that.  I have some gorgeous depression glass so I have a still life with that and then I did some candle sticks because one of Sargent's still lifes was a masterpiece (I think).  But!!!  the size
    this was the smallest I could find  21x16     https://auctions.bidsquare.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/2735/lot/920685
    rautchetanckhendetassieguyKaustav
  • Thank you for posting that :)

But.. where is your painting? ;)
    Julianna
  • Make It Happen! OOHRAAGH!
    Julianna
  • I finished mine.  I like it but it's not very Sargent-ish. I found it difficult to put long strokes of paint down.  I'm working on another set-up this week to see which I like best.  Thanks for posting the above picture @Julianna
    Julianna
  • I still drool over that still life - look at his brushstrokes in that silver!   wow  I'm not posting mine either @Ronna .  I am working on a larger painting.  I look forward to see what others are doing though.  
  • Now the thread is definitely gone.. What's happened @PaulB? :D
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks for posting that, @Julianna.  The more I look at Sargent the more I admire his skill. Most of all, I've come to see that he was a consumate draftsman with the brush. As well as loading his brush with just the right colour and value, he could place each stroke with precision so that he didn't need to touch it again. That's what gives his works their apparent spontaneity, their freshness and vitality. I'm sure that he drew on the work of the great tonalist, Velazquez, just as did similar Australian masters such as Tom Roberts. Like them, Sargent could draw with the brush, and almost miraculously, lay down strokes of correct value/colour, of the right shape, in exactly the right place in one single act of creation without fussing too much with blending. From a distance everything resolves into the most wonderous whole. Of course, no one can paint exactly like Sargent or Cezanne or Monet  ..
    Nor should they try to. We have our own eyes and aesthetic sensibilities and not theirs. But we can learn a hell of a lot from studying their work.  We (especially me) would do well to study closely that candlestick still life.
  • Richard_P said:
    Now the thread is definitely gone.. What's happened @PaulB? :D
    Took me a while, but I found the log entry: It was deleted manually in October.

When a user gets banned for SPAM reasons, the account and all content is removed.  When an active user gets banned/deleted/quits the content stays, unless that users requests that their content also be removed.  Sometimes active users ask that (their own) threads be removed.

So it's one of the above, and I can't go into details.  It wasn't an accident.
  • edited December 2018
    Oh, @PaulB, does that mean that what I wrote above is null, a waste of space and will not be seen and that I should have spent the time painting?  B)
  • tassieguy said:
    Oh, @PaulB, does that mean that what I wrote above is null, a waste of space and will not be seen and that I should have spent the time painting?  B)
    Isn't it always the case that we should paint more?
  • edited December 2018
    Oh, yes. Indeed. Still, I think  that the Sargent stlll life that @Julianna posted was worth commenting on. :)
  • Gosh, y'all are picking up something almost a year ago!  Nothing goes unnoticed :).  I hope everyone is having a Merry Holiday and Happy New Year!