Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New painting challenge?

Comments

• That's perfect! @tassieguy

I think this will be a really fun challenge. And an easy one for everyone to get involved in. :)
  • edited January 14
    Thanks, @edavison

I forgot to mention that i think the judging might best be done in the same way as it was in the portrait challenge where each voter selected three works and ranked each with a 1, 2 or 3. This makes the result more inclusive but still provides a clear winner.
    edavisonPaulB
  • New challenge is a great idea! Regarding the still life... How about objects that are somehow related personally to the artist, like his/her country/state/hobby/history/job/souvenirs..... just a thought... :-D
  • @tassieguy I am open to anything modern and it would be easier to choose a subject that is most common to everyone so that anyone could compete here. 
    Also, can I submit 10X12? 9X12 is not available here.
  • If we have a week to do it I expect very few submissions. The portrait challenge got so many submissions because people had like 3 months to do it right?
    Kaustav
  • I think the idea is to limit painting time to a week, but have the deadline be something like the end of February.
    edavisonKaustavtassieguy
  • Yea that's the idea. Competiton would run from beginning of February until the end of February or mid March. You could do prep work whenever you want (draw on canvas, mix color) but once you start painting you have one week to complete the painting. @movealonghome
  • What about 3 items or less?  Odd numbers are easier to arrange in a composition than even. 
    Ronna
  • edited January 15
    @Forgiveness you forwarded one PDF to me about Sargent's technique. Can you please share that once again here? I do not have the PDF any longer, I took a print out and deleted the original file. It is vital for this challenge. 
    Renoir
  • wow @Forgiveness   that pdf is amazing.  Thank you for sharing!

ForgivenessFlatty
  • Ok, this time I hope to submit for this challenge. However I'm not sure I fully know what the Sargent style is. 
    Flatty
  • Google John Singer Sargent images or 
    Ronna
  • Thanks for that. I've looked at some of his work and there's quite a variety and difference when he uses watercolors vs. oils. I love the looseness of watercolors. Also, his commissioned works are meticulous and absolutely complete whereas his watercolors are truly abstract realism. Well, what am I worried about? Ha! I"m just happy if I slap paint on a canvas and it looks like anything :o  
    edavisonFlattyRonnaBOB73
  • Can I amend the rules?  Can we say stay "around" 12 inches?  I found a prepared board in the closet that is 13" wide.
  • Updated to accommodate @Ronna's closet:
    Spending no more than one week of total effort, paint a still life containing at least one modern object (post 1925), in the style of Sargent, in a small format (around 12" or 30cm or less). Submission deadline is 2018-03-15, and should consist of new work, begun after the start of the challenge on 2018-02-01.  Voting open to all forum members, consisting of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ranking.  Submit by posting to the challenge thread, once it is created.  One entry per member.  A voting thread will be created at close of challenge.
    RonnaJuliannaForgivenessBOB73
  • Questions - 
    can we work from a photo object ?
    week= 168 total  clocked hours ? (Total effort) 
    do or can we post WIP of the object for help or is it a grand reveal and only post once complete ? 

• alsart said:
    Questions - 
    can we work from a photo object ?
    week= 168 total  clocked hours ? (Total effort) 
    do or can we post WIP of the object for help or is it a grand reveal and only post once complete?
    Whatever you think is in the spirit of the challenge.  Finding loopholes is not.

Just like the previous challenge, how about you can create your own WIP thread if you wish, then submit one completed entry to the challenge thread.
    BOB73
  • I was not looking for loopholes, just understanding the concept,..
    i like the idea of running a separate WIP thread, that will work @PaulB
    Thanks 

BOB73
  • I am up for whatever is eventually decided on.. due to personal curcumstances haven’t done anything except Watercolour in last 18 months.. looks like it is going to be a good way to get to back into it... please not a 6 hr one...  :s
    PaulB
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited January 22
    168 hours crazy painter marathon. yeehahw! Thanks PaulB
    mariebRenoir
  • I've been working on my challenge painting using my new Rosemary & Co brushes =).  I got my main object 3/4 finished when I noticed I was using the 3/8" Comber brush.  :/ 
    PaulB
  • Ronna said:
    I've been working on my challenge painting using my new Rosemary & Co brushes =).  I got my main object 3/4 finished when I noticed I was using the 3/8" Comber brush.  :/ 
    Every time I try to use a comber, the result looks like I'm painting with a fork.  Can't get the hang of it.

Challenge: I'm indecisively looking at possibilities, unable to choose.  Might end up doing two and hiding the worst one.
  • I got my object, and have started, coincidently it is also my DMP number 10, so it's adding a little pressure to myself as I want to produce something good to celebrate that milestone, I am also goimg to try to fly solo, but I am already referring back to my old threads, and marks videos a valuable resource 
    so I got - wood panel 8 x 12 three coats of acrylic stain and my drawing laid out , and about 1.5 inches covered - into it with 4 hours,.....
    PaulBRenoir
  • I know exactly what you mean @Renoir!
    marieb
  • Renoir - Τhe same here, no ideas for things after 1915...GMO's???? LOL!
  • @michalis post 1925 I am sure, I searched and searched google, and found an object that lead to another object to end up where I am at now, which is no where near the first object , I guess my point is to start good luck 
    michalis
  • I’m starting mine tonight, and being a newby to the DMP method I’m sure it’s gonna take some work to not only stick to a method but also capture Sargent’s style. My biggest issue I’m finding is that it is really difficult to paint like Sargent on 12” canvas using small brushes..
    RenoirJulianna
  • @Renoir - GMO I was slow, that just made me giggle 
    @mattyblue - I hear you, and as a newbie too, it gives us some latitude,...so if I was asked to paint a portrait in the style of Picasso ,..my response would be what period?,.... 
    Renoir
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    I dunno if I can paint Sargent like?? I will however give it a go. The thread @Forgiveness gave us on Sargent will be quite helpful;-)
    marieb
  • @Flatty the PDF that @Forgiveness provided is my bible for this exercise, it's fantastic, thus this project will be my biggest success so far or one huge failure, but the fun and spirit is about having a go, and as a great man once said, we have nothing to fear,...but fear itself,....so once it's complete I will offer it up for scrutiny - about 8 hours in, and only 3 inches covered of the canvas,...
    Flatty
  • alsart said:
    @Flatty the PDF that @Forgiveness provided is my bible for this exercise, it's fantastic, thus this project will be my biggest success so far or one huge failure, but the fun and spirit is about having a go, and as a great man once said, we have nothing to fear,...but fear itself,....so once it's complete I will offer it up for scrutiny - about 8 hours in, and only 3 inches covered of the canvas,...
    3 inches deep? ;)
    ForgivenessFlatty
  • @Richard_P it feels like I am getting into a deep hole and deeper by the day, I wish I could post, my "interpretation" of the challenge, but not just yet,....suffice to it's going well so far  :)
    Renoir
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    It's a progression for sure Al. I think your doing great!!
    Forgiveness
  • edited February 13
    I'm glad this isn't like one of those radio programs featuring a gallery tour where you never actually get to see the paintings they speak of, you only get lavish descriptions of the pieces and the spaces they are hanging in. ha,ha! I hope everyone has fun!
    marieb
  • Nice @BOB73!  It really pleases me that you’re in this.  You’re also ahead of me.
    RenoirBoudicca
  • Agreed! @BOB73 - so excited to hear you've been able to give it a go! Sounds like a great combination of items too. 
  • FlattyFlatty admin
    Rooting for you Bob!!
  • Thanks all. I'm overwhelmed by this show of support. I'm terrified of dissappointing you now.
  • BOB73 said:
    I'm terrified of dissappointing you now.
    You should be @BOB73.  Just kidding.  There's going to be a hat in it, isn't there?
    BOB73RenoirBoudicca
  • Okay, I've got about 7 hours of painting complete on my challenge project, around 10 if you include staining, drawing, and mixing. I've managed to complete my figures and rough in the background, which means my canvas is covered! Im having a really hard time with edges and deciding what should be soft/blended transitions, or simplified strokes to suggest the contours.  I'm thinking that its best to get all my shadows and half tones to where I like them and save the light struck planes for last and place them directly, without fuss, to create an abstraction.  Doing my best to channel Sargents mind, thinking of doing a seance during my next sitting haha..

But seeing my painting come together has got me excited to view everyone's work, I know there will be some amazing pieces as there are so many talented painters/artists on this forum! Good Luck everyone!
    marieb
  • the build up and grand reveal is part of the fun 
  • I also put so many hours in yesterday that I strained my eyes, I am going off island toNC today for a week or so, I will rest and return in five days and hopefully complete this work 

• This is more or less the technique. I was also exploring and this is pretty similar to what I thought that Sargent did.