Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Yosser (D)MP Style WIP

Yosser - WIP  - Scene from 1982 Boys from the black stuff - Liverpool.

11 x 17 maple wood panel with 5 step posterized image laser printed on the panel, with 2 coats of clear gesso, Geneva oils. (new process for me)

I resolved the issues with gesso - this is the first dark step being applied, the gesso has given a pleasant tooth, and the  oil paint has applied well so far, but it is surprisingly taking longer to lay paint into the image than a traced image, its more accurate I guess  - I have four steps to paint the jacket with, black to a mid-green.

I ask for comments / thoughts on this process, (thus far)

Comments on the texture of the oil paint, I like the way I am applying this with a very small (trimmed) brush for accurate work - I do not intend to blend.

Thank you

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    Ah, Yosser Hughes.  Will he have a bruise on his forehead, or is this a “Gizza job” scene?
  • @PaulB ; - this is the one where he and the street tramp throw a bin through the window, and the cops pick them up and both he and the tramp are arguing for "rights" to a night in the cell for the offense  - Bernard Hill is just outstanding  - a classic, I will actually be home i na few weeks for Xmas, I will see if the bench is still there,...
    PaulB
  • Looks interesting. What brand of clear gesso are you using? I use W&N and I like the tooth once it's slightly sanded with a very fine sandpaper.
  • @Richard_P liquitex  professional - and my thin brush in slow placement hand resting on my tee square bridge - pleased so far 
    comments welcome 

jeff
  • Started on the next value green, or Geneva black with speckles of yellow to give a hue - the yellow is so powerful - thoughts welcome 

jeff
  • I see you have started the painting with the black stuff  :)

"Gizza job eh, gizza job"
    I once saw Bernard Hill outside a boozer in Liverpool, was hard to not think of him as Yosser.
    alsartPaulB
  • If you are not going to do blending then won't it look like a posterised image?
  • That is a good point, and I should have said I wont blend unless it looks too posterized,....( ha )
    To be honest I do not know how this is going to work out, but I am sharing my journey -  be it a failed or successful one, @Richard_P
    jeff
  • Very difficult to get a good photo - a little more work on the jacket, let’s not forget this jacket is a poorly fitted oversized rubbish dump find, casted as such for the character and that is what I am am trying to capture in my brush strokes, from a good five feet back the folds look good enough to continue not to blend at this stage - these great / army overcoats had a green/black sheen in the wet rain, I recall seeing many a “street person” wearing such back in the day, I can almost smell it,..(those that know this series will get it) 
    comments welcome, although I know I am very much out there on my own with this process.

Rich_ASummer
  • Looking at my background I realized my photo edit and adaptation of the image had erased the grid lines of the background pavement I had to pencil them with the P divider, old skills with new combined.

Rich_AMichaelD
  • It's hard to tell how it's going to turn out at the moment, which is probably why not many people are commenting.
  • @Richard_P I was thinking the same, it’s such an unknown subject matter and a new experimental technique but I am fine with that - all I can say so far is that it’s taking shape, but the concentration required to paint within and up to the shadow lines takes a lot more than a normal traced image.
    i am painting the pavement grid now, and it’s just a line but it’s not it’s thin, thick, wavy and blue, black, green - so far only used Geneva black, blue, and yellow, but I will need some red and white for the face and hands I guess.
    i am color matching on a printed photo and using affinity photo for color swatches - thanks 
    al 
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Here's my opinion.  I love the subject.  It's a wonderful play, and the tv series was a pop culture phenomenon in the UK in the early eighties.  My time and place.

But you have a copyrighted image printed on a wood panel, and you're going over it in five colors, painting on top of the reference.  I fear you've left no room for creativity and development.
  • @PaulB
    copyright - this holds no fear for me, please remove this thread if it concerns the ownership.

as for the method, I see it as a modern day camera obscure - the method is being wildly used by other artist in the mainstream, although not quite like what I have done/ doing.
    creativity - I see more in this, than say someone painting a friends dog,..or cat, etc but that’s always in the eye of the beholder and my point of view.
    development - I respect your opinion 
    al 
    PaulB
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Copyright was not the right thing to say there.  I should have said "someone else's image".  It's like when I paint a photographic slide, I delegate all composition to the photographer.

Camera obscura is a good analogy.
    alsart
  • SummerSummer -
    edited December 9
    PaulB said:
    Here's my opinion.  I love the subject.  It's a wonderful play, and the tv series was a pop culture phenomenon in the UK in the early eighties.  My time and place.

But you have a copyrighted image printed on a wood panel, and you're going over it in five colors, painting on top of the reference.  I fear you've left no room for creativity and development.
    I suspect @alsart is using these tools for the first time, seeing what they can do, experimenting.  We are almost required as artists to use the tools of our time.  When can we do that then?  DSLR's.  Photoshop.  Computer apps galore.  I feel this is a necessary part of being an artist in this era.  I've got so many tools to learn in my era, it will take a lifetime for me to discern which features and capabilities of each tool will be useful on a particular project as I develop as an artist.  And, not only tools, but many new materials.  Egads!   I need to go on a retreat.  Hmm.

I wasn't there, but I remember when we graduated from using our fingers to pencils.  You should have heard the outcry--haha.

Summer
    alsart
  • Oh, and if it fails I can always sand the panel down and paint my wife’s cup,...or Ken Dodd 😃
  • edited December 9
    How discomknockerating  :)

• SummerSummer -
    edited December 9
    I have recently come to terms with situations like this one.  Copyright laws are to be respected and not ignored.  But when it comes to me doing something artistic, I'm either making an art product with the tools at my disposal, or creating original art with just basic tools.  I believe both are valid.  And by the way, I always learn something unexpected and important from every art product that I make using today's tools.  It's difficult to say, then, when you are not developing as an artist. 

Edit:  My husband disagrees with my view and thinks that I can't separate "art product" from "original art".  That I/we produce art because it is all original art created with the help of technology thereby saving a lot of time once the technology is learned.  I argue that I don't need technology to produce a drawing.  But someone who can't draw can produce that same drawing with technology.  So I like "art product" if I use technology.   

Summer
  • Now the mention of pencils and Ken Dodd in this thread have reminded me of one of my fave jokes of his.
    It goes something like....

"The man who invented cats eyes for roadways was inspired one evening when he was driving and a cat in the distance caught in his headlights. The reflection back from its eyes gave him the idea.

I wonder if the cat was facing the other way would he have invented the pencil sharpener"

:) 
    SummeralsartBOB73Dianna
  • @Summer I am not ignoring copyright, I just careless if anyone was going to try to action it against me, good luck to them.
    copyright is very important even more so in this crazy world we live in today but there are millions in Asia breaking copyright every single minute of the day.

• alsart said:
    @Summer I am not ignoring copyright, I just careless if anyone was going to try to action it against me, good luck to them.
    copyright is very important even more so in this crazy world we live in today but there are millions in Asia breaking copyright every single minute of the day.

I see what you are saying and totally agree.  My only concern, is that they can get to you!  You stand out.  You are alone.  You have money.  Just ripe to prove a point.  I remember what happened to Martha Stewart.  It just takes one person in the right position is all I'm saying. 

Summer
    alsart
  • I want to explain my inspiration for this “painting” the TV plays in question are about my home town in a time of very depressing social conditions that effected many people in my city and still do so today.
    the playwrite also comes from my town and captured a time and place and storyline so very near the truth it hurts.
    the “Liverpool kiss” the “Giza job” and other themes where in my school yard both funny and violently demonstrated on a daily basis.
    when ever I have had a new girlfirled or wife this is one of the first things I get them to watch, and they all been moved.
    i am paying homage to a great writer, a great actor, and an amazing, sad, violent, funny, part of my past life.
    i will be back in my home town in a few weeks and I aim to go to the very spot I am “painting” and I hope the bench is there as I will try to recreate the scene - how many other artists can do that with there paintings,....

Summer
  • "discomknockerating" I never heard of Ken Dodd but he's my new hero. Nothing against British TV it's just that I have a terrible time understanding them because of my hearing impediment in combination with any kind of an accent. The only Brit I never had a problem understanding was Basil Rathbone. But he had to train long and hard to get that voice. Now that our TV has closed captioning My daughter has turned me in to a Doctor Who fan. discomknockerating! what a wonderful word. Thank You Sir Ken Dodd you deserve knighthood just for inventing that word.    I love this Forum!!!
    alsartSummerMichaelD
  • @BOB73 Ken invented many a word, I met and spent a lot of time with him as a young magician 
    and he was an owner of a jam butty mine in my home town, and his work force contained only  diddy men who used tickling sticks to mine the jam butties ,......
    SummerMichaelDBOB73
  • @alsart, I will just help @BOB73 with a wee (Scottish for small), translation of some of the Scouse (Person and/or slang language, of Liverpool.

"tickling stick"- its like a feather duster, but a very colourful one. (One of Ken`s props).

"jam butties" - Scouse (Liverpudlian) for jam sandwich.
    alsartBOB73Summer
  • When I get my first Tardis, I'm going to make sure it has its own jam-butty mine and I'll clean it with a tickle stick. Sounds like Dodd invented a whole language. I'm glad to know that discomknockerating has nothing to do with a woman buying the wrong size brassiere.
    MichaelDalsartSummer
  • Well my color mixing has been off today often taking 6 or 7 goes to nail it,...I know time for a pint 

• So my color mixing was troubling me - it turns out that my office printer is out of calibration the image on the left is from my office printer, so I downloaded  my source file and walked to my local printers and asked them to print a high quality image  on good card stock - the right image is correct and true to the source photo - just goes to show you have to color match even your print luckily I had only mixed two steps so not much lost 
    oh and another bonus they only charged me 87 cents for the print,...

• Last post on this for a few weeks, I am heading back to the UK, I will pick up Yosser on my return in Jan 2019.
    Merry Xmas & Happy holidays

• Merry Christmas to you too! Have a good time with your family :)