Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

my first portrait

This is my second painting and I'm attempting a portrait....Probably a little premature for me...I know I am learning and it is hard for me to slow down and take the time to color check ,etc.. There is a part of me that wants to just paint and be spontaneous about it..Mark makes it it look so easy, even mixing paint and keeping it under control.  How long do you paint before taking a break?  I notice I get tired and then I make a mess...Any advice is welcomed! Thanks! 
KaustavMichaelDSummer

Comments

• Nice portrait. I'll set a timer on my phone for 20 minutes. Once the alarm goes off I force myself to stop and walk away for 5 minutes. Then I'll repeat. Keeps me from getting burned out. I'm kind of shocked on how fast those twenty minutes go by. 
  • 20 minutes is a good idea. I paint until I realize that I'm getting lazy about mixing the colors exact, and saying close enough. That's when I take short break.
  • That's a very promising portrait. @mmagurk.

I find it helpful to take lots of short breaks  -even if it's just to step outside for a moment and take a deep breath.  :)
  • This is looking great for only your second one :)
    Totally agree with the importance of taking breaks. I used to question myself on it because I can be a bit of a procrastinator. Then I realised there are times when you become so involved in the painting you can lose sight. So stepping away from it totally and taking those breaks really helps.
  • You have to (I have to) step back every little while to look at it from a distance. If you look at something else out the window or TV for a minute that can refresh your eyes take 5 or 10 minutes. My butt falls asleep after a half hour  anyway then my brain so I have to stand up and walk around a little anyway.

• I would love any advice Thanks!
    SummerMark72