Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Saving files as JPEGS means you will lose 50% of color and detail because......?

Is it true that saving files as JPEGS means you will lose 50% of color and detail because JPEGS are only 24 bit color and not 49 bit color like

Comments

• Sorry - I hit the wrong key.   ....not 49 bit color like TIFFS. 
  • JPEG is what is known as a “lossy” format. Which means Information is lost. I don’t know the percentages. 
  • Oh, interesting.  Thank you @Boudicca
  • SummerSummer -
    edited October 13
    Coincidentally, I just uploaded a TIFF file last night to a website for printing of a photo that I will be painting from for my next painting.  Their limit is 1G.  No loss of color in doing so. 
  • You can alter the amount of compression with JPEGs, so the more compression you select the smaller the file size, but the more information is lost.

However, JPEGs also compress the colour space so some colour information will always be lost:

Chroma subsampling was developed in the 1950s by Alda Bedford for the development of color television by RCA, which developed into the NTSC standard; luma-chroma separation was developed earlier, in 1938 by Georges Valensi.

Through studies, he showed that the human eye has high resolution only for black and white, somewhat less for "mid-range" colors like yellows and greens, and much less for colors on the end of the spectrum, reds and blues. Using this knowledge allowed RCA to develop a system in which they discarded most of the blue signal after it comes from the camera, keeping most of the green and only some of the red; this is chroma subsampling in the YIQ color space, and is roughly analogous to 4:2:1 subsampling, in that it has decreasing resolution for luma, yellow/green, and red/blue.

BOB73Bobitaly
  • I simply can't help myself.  I just have to laugh out-loud!  Bob73!  Really?  But you read my mind!!!!  I could never get away with it, people would just think I was rude.  Anyway, that is interesting @Richard_P but I'm going to have to go back and read through it all again. Same with @Dencal re color swatches.   I'm not sure, but I think the end result of all that you said is that the human eye can't pick up the difference anyway so it's not a problem.