Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Dealing with Art Gallery question...

Hi All!
So my art gallery recently released 4 paintings to me that did not sell over the summer that they said I could try to sell on my own (or to cut the BS they just didnt think would sell so gave them back to me) haha There is another Gallery, near me that is particular to horse art. Is it bad if I reach out to them to see if they would be interested? I just emailed them and stated that I am represented by such and such and this work was released to me and was wondering if they were interested in selling any of it. 
So #1- is that okay to do? Im assuming so....
#2- Did I just offer my sloppy seconds and therefor insult the second gallery?
Ooops if I did... Didn't think about that angle until after I hit send...

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited October 12
    I am aware that you can have as many galleries as you like all over the world as long as you have not agreed to exclusivity with one particular gallery in written form.
    Personally, I believe you should begin to get with other galleries at this point.  They need you as much as you need them.  I don't think that you should feel bad at all.  It's just growing pains you are feeling.  
    PaulBJessicaArt
  • I think some painting will sell better in galleries that specialize Just like the one near you. Some pamper to tourists other abstract There are dozens where I live but Ive yet to have 1 shown
    JessicaArt
  • Thanks guys! The second gallery wrote back and said something about a 100 mile radius clause...but I I formed her I was not in such an agreement with my gallery...but...nonetheless she wasn't interested...said the gallery was full at the moment. 
  • I never heard of a 100 mile rule before but if they don't want it, they don't need an excuse. You are free to do with them anything you want. If you or your husband is a good sales person, you might try selling directly to restaurants or clubs in the racing towns. I would ask the same price they were in the gallery. You might also gift one to your photographer friend. Maybe if he hangs it in his studio it will generate some interest.
    JessicaArt