Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Chip Brush - Bristles fall out into paint

Hi, all. Just joined the forum. I'm new to Mark's method and am diving in!
I bought a cheap 2" brush to apply the canvas stain as suggested. As I applied the paint, bristles were falling out on the canvas liberally. Is this the norm, and you just have to then get them all out before letting it dry? What specific brand are you all using that you're happy with. I don't care if it's a "keep" brush or a throw-away brush, but fishing bristles out of the painted canvas seems avoidable.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited October 3
    I most often knead the bristles of such a brush in my hands before painting. This way most unwanted will fall out before hand. You will have to remove those bristles from your paint before it dries. Some of us use a roller.
    BOB73
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited October 3
    Welcome to the forum, Breeze (Florida?) I do what @Forgiveness does but a trick I learned is to 
    'paint' the side of a cardboard box before you dip it like you don't like the box or the brush. Slap, punch and shake it then stroke as you would normally. If there are any loose bristles that should get rid of them but dip the paint and try it on the cardboard, remove benders, frays and sqigglies  and you're ready to stain. I use a trim brush and try for the mid-price range professional grade 2 or 2-1/2". Don't get them from a craft store or grocery store. The (house)paint stares have some good trim brushes but are a little higher priced. Art store prices are high too. Hardware stores like Ace or Scotty's and Lowes have generally better prices for the better quality brushes. I keep them for a while and if they start to misbehave I cut them down and use them like a throwaway. Edited because I just found one of those brushes. It's a Wooster brand and I've had it for years. It shed some at first but worked out the woost of the bristles quickly. It's not the best quality but affordable.
    ForgivenessBreeze
  • I use both chip brushes and rollers.  Foam rollers are my favorite.  Chip brushes require kneading first and even then I have to remove a few bristles after staining but never what you have experienced.  I don't have a favorite brand.  You've had the worst case scenario.  Yikes!  I throw away the rollers and the brushes afterwards.  Hope this helps.   
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    All brushes shed a few hairs at first.  Bad brushes keep on shedding for a while.  Picking brush hairs out of your work is just part of the normal routine.

Also insects.
  • BreezeBreeze -
    edited October 5
    Thanks, all. I expected a few shed hairs, but this seemed over the top.
    I had assumed a foam roller would absorb a lot of the paint and, so, be more wasteful. I haven't tried that yet, though.
    The professional, hardware store trim brush sounds like something I will try next. Thanks, @BOB73

Nope, not Florida. I was going to use the name SummerBreeze (a la Seals & Crofts) but saw that there was already a "Summer," and didn't want to be confusing. I have no idea why I used oranges in my avatar; it just bothers me to leave the default image there, and I wanted to go ahead and post. I should find something more painterly. Ha!
    BOB73
  • Maybe a Seals & Crofts album cover? 
    Summer Breezejpg Caption said it was "Vintage" like me.
    Breeze
  • @BOB73
     Hey, maybe!
    Oh, definitely "vintage." Never "old."
    BTW: I used a house-painting trim brush last night, and it worked great!
    Maybe I'll use the cheap chip brush to start a fire in our fireplace when winter arrives.  ;)
    BOB73