Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Does this photo have possibilities?

I was wondering whether folks thought this picture was worth painting. I took it about 5 years ago on my old Blackberry phone. The foreground is underexposed and the sky is overexposed. Does anyone know how to fix this problem. I've fiddled around with it in my image editor (Affinity Photo) but I can't work out how to correct it. The top of the cloud for example is completely washed out while the foreground around the water is almost black. I tried to paint it once before but wasn't very successful. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  

Rob  :)

Comments

• Managed to bring out some more detail:

anweshaKaustavmariebJulianna
  • Oh, WOW! That's amazing, @Richard_P.  How did you do that? Could I do it in Affinity? 

Thanks heaps.

Rob :)
    marieb
  • Probably, but I don't have affinity..
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    @tassieguy, here is an Affinity Pro tutorial on reducing sky exposure while preserving the foreground.  I think it's what you need.

• Gosh, thanks, @PaulB!  You guys are so helpful. :)
  • Looks like that might help. Good luck! :)
  • @Richard_P 's treatment is a great improvement. I'd like to see even a little more light on the right foreground. The peak of the mountain is a little close to center. Cropping a little more off the left margin might make a better composition. But it's a beautiful scene as is.
  • Thanks, guys. 

I guess it's a conventionally pretty scene. And that's what bothers me. It's a bit like something from a calendar or chocolate box.  I found the place very moving when I was there experiencing it in real life. But at this point I just don't see how I can make anything more of it than what's in this photo.  Which is just pretty. I need to think more about it -  about how I could use texture and brushwork to make it into a real painting.

Maybe I need to go back there and do some drawings on site, make colour swatches and take some much better photos for reference material.

I'll come back to it later no doubt. Thanks to those who looked, commented and provided editing help with the image. :)
    BoudiccaForgivenessmarieb
  • I agree with you:) This is exactly how an artist in my mind should think. 
    Forgiveness
  • Tough photo Rob, but I like the scene. My high school art teachers favourite saying was 'too chocolate-boxy'!

I had a go as well - pretty similar to Richards.

Removed some of the camera noise which smooths it out a bit, plus selective lighting adjustment (done in ACDsee Studio Ultimate 2018)

• edited September 9
    Thanks very much, @Roxy.

You've improved the photo a great deal.

Does it strike you as familiar? It's the west coast of Tassie (Bathurst Harbour) and, to me, it looks very similar to SW coast New Zealand - the evidence of recent glaciation is written all over it and the vegetation (Gondwanan remnant with heath, stunted nothophagus and very few eucalypts) is also similar to the colder , wetter and wilder parts of South Island NZ.  You're a Kiwi, a scientist and a plant man so is that how it strikes you?

You can't get there by road. You have to fly in by sea plane or go by boat. Or walk for days.  Not sure when I'll be able to get back there. Wish I were younger.

I love the scene (and what you've done to improve the photo of it) but I think I should leave it until I've been back there and until I have the skils to do something non-chocolate-boxy with it. The technique would have to reflect the raw, primative, wild and beautiful feeling of the place. I don't think photo realism would do it. Not on my hands, anyway.

It's up to me to work on the technical skills - to practice pushing paint around savagley.

Thanks heaps for your help with the photo.

Rob    :)

• You must have some fantastic Chocolate Boxes in Oz. It sounds like this scene is more important to you than just being pretty. I think it's worth a boat trip to "rediscover" a lonesome place. I hope the weather will cooperate and give you a sky like the one pictured.
    tassieguy
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    tassieguy said:
    You can't get there by road. You have to fly in by sea plane or go by boat. Or walk for days.  Not sure when I'll be able to get back there. Wish I were younger.
    Perhaps we should devote our energies to persuading @WIKEN to go there.
    BOB73tassieguy
  • Yep I agree Rob, its very similar to sw NZ - in fact when I first saw your photo I assumed it was somewhere in Fiordland. 

There is considerable overlap in both landscapes and flora between the west coast of Tassie and southern NZ. The alpine flora in particular is strikingly similar. There are other similarities too (bumble bees, gorse,...) which is why I always get homesick when I visit your neck of the woods.
    tassieguy
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Roxy said:
    Yep I agree Rob, its very similar to sw NZ - in fact when I first saw your photo I assumed it was somewhere in Fiordland. 
    Looks like Milford Sound to me.

I only know about that place because so many people paint it and produce videos that I have watched.
  • Yeah, Milford Sound is the definition of chocolate box. Snapped this on my iPhone late last year whilst on a family holiday, just before the rain set in.

tassieguyJulianna
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 10
    @tassieguy ; Bathurst Harbour - I just did a Google Image search on this area narrowing it down to people fishing there and found the most amazing detail of the mountain in the center of your photo.  Maybe you could find a way to incorporate some of the detail of the image that I will post below.  Summer

• Thanks, @Summer. I handn't thought of doing that. But why not? There are lots of shots on Google of Mt Rugby in different light that, in the hands of a skilled photo editor, might be helpful in improving my own photo.  :)
  • tassieguy said:
    I love the scene (and what you've done to improve the photo of it) but I think I should leave it until I've been back there and until I have the skils to do something non-chocolate-boxy with it. The technique would have to reflect the raw, primative, wild and beautiful feeling of the place. I don't think photo realism would do it. Not on my hands, anyway.

Your words reminded me of this painting in the Nottingham Art Gallery (A welsh funeral):

BoudiccaJulianna
  • Oh,  that's very beautfil, @Richard_P!
    The mountains are sublime. 
    Julianna
  • Yes I really like this painting for the elemental nature of the mountains and the mood with the funeral it portrays.
    Julianna
  • edited September 11
    It's the mountains and the mists that move me. I could do without the people. So fickle and ephemeral. Mountains are so solid, beautiful and almost eternal from our POV.   :/    As @Forgivenss said, "when you're a mountain everything else is weather".  :)
    Julianna
  • Just remember it's the weather that always wins in the end. Maybe that's why he painted it, to remind us of our mortality.

tassieguyForgiveness
  • You can use an app called OILIST to test out different approaches to painting from a photo.
    I quickly spent a couple of minutes on the chocolate box photo to give an example.

Julianna
  • oh wow @Boudicca   that is stunning!!!
  • Boudicca said:
    You can use an app called OILIST to test out different approaches to painting from a photo.
    I quickly spent a couple of minutes on the chocolate box photo to give an example.

Julianna this is just a digital image using the app. No painting involved.Literally 2 minutes.
  • Does that work in Windows95?
  • edited September 11
    You find an oilify filter in your photo editor @BOB73 - Photoshop, Affinity, etc but I don't know how these would go on Windows95. Might be time to upgrade, no?
    BOB73