Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

LUCY drawing tool

Just found this by accident. Might be interesting to people here:
https://drawlucy.com/
SummerJulianna

Comments

• cool! I'll see if it is available on Amazon. Thanks Richard.

• SummerSummer -
    edited September 9
    It's getting very bad reviews on Amazon.  If they are not returning it, they're thinking about it.  Personally, I think you have to be really motivated to figure out how to make it work for you in different situations.  You might even have to create additional hardware to make it work for you.  It's easier to just learn how to draw than fiddle with this contraption.  But at this low price, it is hard to resist.  I won't be buying one.  Using my thumbnail is just too easy--haha. :)
  • I sometimes use this 
  • Holy cow!!!!!!!!!   that looks awesome!  talk about saving time in the drawing phase!  wow   thank you for sharing.
  • Folks

The IPad and iPhone Camera Lucida App also posterises in selectable 1 to 16 shades of grey. Also has a filter to show lines at value transitions. Any image on the screen can be faded to allow the drawing on the paper or canvas below to be visible on the screen. Check out the YouTube vids.

Denis

• holy cow @dencal   my mind is considerably blown now.  That is incredible.
  • I've seen that DrawLucy thing floating around the net as well. I agree with @Summer's conclusion - too convoluted for me as well. That Camera Lucida app looks a bit more more straightforward to use but I don't think I would use it either. I personally get a lot of satisfaction out of using the proportional divider together with grids/lines to copy the image. I also think you get to add a bit more of yourself (even subconsciously) when you transfer manually - there seems to be a certain quality (or maybe simplification of line) that gives a different feel from a direct tracing. I remember the graphite artist Mike Sibley making that observation somewhere, but couldn't find the reference - it might have been in his most excellent book 'Drawing from line to life', where he has a section on image transfer methods.
  • edited September 12
    I'd feel as if I were just colouring in if I used one of these things to make a line drawing to paint over. I'd be afraid to go over the line and I fear the painting would end up looking very tight. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • Folks

Camera Lucida iPad App Demo - Graphite Portrait

Denis
  • Have you tried that app Denis? :)
  • Richard_P

I purchased the app and had a casual flick through the screen functions. Not used for anything serious yet. Mainly interested in the ability to posterize images and graphically isolate values.

Denis