Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

New to the the Blog.... an opinion on Geneva paints versus water-miscible oils (eg W&N Artisan)

Hello all...
I've been reading and rereading DrawMixPaint all long weekend long!  Very informative.

I am new to painting and am wanting to start with quality paints and need to avoid the solvents and their issues due to limited ventilation in my at home studio.   Does anyone have an opinion on Geneva versus W&N Artisan or Holbein Duo or any other water-miscible oil? 

The only one of Geneva's basic colours that is not obviously available elsewhere is Pyrrole Rubine.  Would the experts among you recommend another colour to substitute?

Many thanks.

Barbara

Comments

• BarbaraR

Welcome to you.

Artisan are satisfactory paints and will do everything you ask of an oil paint. A wee but stringy in consistency. Can be mixed with normal paints. Responds welll with any medium or additive. Cost is a lot less. Avoid water. Try citrus solvent. Gamblin has a solvent free gel and fluid.

Improving your studio ventilation should be a priority.

Geneva is good value. Luscious consistency. No smells. No mediums needed. High pigment load.

Either brand will work. Geneva will work better.

Denis