Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Clever new tool

Check out the portable grid tool he has.  If you have not seen Jos' work, you are in for a treat.

dencalJulianna

Comments

• I've thought of something like that before as well, but I think I'd get annoyed trying to draw through the wires! :D
  • This is a good idea too!
  • I agree @richard_p.  But what if there were fewer, or only two golden lines?  Also notice he does not try to do much more than key points, then returns to traditional penciling.
    @kaustav, I bet it will help outdoors.  I once saw a movie years ago (80’s) where a painter was teaching a pupil and used a stand alone string grid on a tri-pod to frame the scene.  Another grid was drawn on the canvas and you know the rest.  It’s funny the random things that stick with you.
  • I tried to get a grid like that a long time ago but it was electrified. Ouch.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited September 1
    The computer app I use allows me to adjust the thickness of the lines and the size and shape of the openings that I require for each individual painting with little fuss and time.  Still, its a good idea and does work.  I like the proportions he is using.   
  • @summer, I have done that too, but I stopped because I could never get the grid on my canvas to precisely match the grid on the photo.  So I think this tool is a way to be more consistent, even if it is only two lines.  My thought is that if I can identify all the important golden points in both places, I can use lines where necessary and have a better chance of getting them to line up.  All this assumes that no tracing is done.  I am still partial to tracing my golden lines even if I pencil all the rest.  Then I use string to regain them after painting.  I leave marks on the edges so I can line them back up later.  Of course if I ever learn to draw none of this will be necessary.   =)
    on the other hand if Miriam escofet can win the BP Portrait award drawing to a grid I am fine with it.
    Summer
  • I'm trying something new with grids as well, but I don't know how it will turn out.  I have a designated projector attached to a designated tripod that I only use for customizing grids so when I lose the lines while painting, all I have to do is turn on the projector for a few moments to get my bearings again.  Hmm. 
    BOB73