Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Help me choose paintings for an upcoming art show

CJDCJD -
edited August 12 in General Discussion
Hey all, 

In less than a month I will be submitting 3 paintings for a juried art show. I have a bunch of finished paintings now and need to choose 3 to submit. Ideally 3 that will be juried in :)

I was wondering if you could check out my paintings... They're all easily viewed on the front page of my website... And let me know which 3 you think would be good picks :) I'm interested to know what you think

I have a few weeks to varnish them and get them framed and ready. Thanks!

https://www.clarkejduggan.com

Comments

• Fantastic idea. Me I would choose the Dancer, the Three Daughters and Bowdon Lake. Any chance of more submissions. All but the outlet are worthy. Is there a theme? Best of luck.
    CJD
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Dancer, Poinsettia, Comedy of Flowers.  All superb, and not the only ones, either.
    CJD
  • @BOB73 all are worthy but outlet.. That one is my dad's favourite :p
  • Dallas Road, Sunny Side, Poinsettia
    CJD
  • when i was applying for art fairs and had to give 3 works for the jury, i decided to go for the three categories: one landscape, one still life and one portrait... the best i had in each category..  the other route would have been 3 of the same category. have you decided on anything in these lines? Is it an art fair kind of art show or a show in a gallery? 
    my favourite's among you work would be the monochromes, the poinsettia (top among fav), sunny side, comedy of flowers (second fav), praise the sun (another second fav) and ancient tree. 
  • CJDCJD -
    edited August 12
    @anwesha thanks it's an annual local art show apparently one of the biggest in the province. My guess is there will be a variety of styles and genres... I'm not sure what they're looking for really I just assume the jurors choose the pieces they like best. I think there are 3 jurors and if your painting gets 2 out of 3 votes it will make it in. At least 300 paintings are submitted i have no idea how many make it in.

I might do a landscape and a couple botanicals or the other way around... It's really a tough decision to make :p although who knows if it matters.. I don't know what the jurors are into. All paintings in the show must be for sale too so that's a factor.... I don't know if my florals or landscapes would be more likely to sell. Landscapes are much bigger and would be priced much higher

I also didn't know people liked that poinsettia painting that much haha that is interesting... 
    anwesha
  • Oh there's also this painting too although for some reason this one seems to confuse people as if they don't know what they're looking at. And of course my current seascape project if it turns out well

• I'd submit the outlet because of its historical significance to your place in time.  I think "they" will get that.  :)
    CJD
  • My favorite by far is the latest one with the lights and shadows - I think it is stunning.  The only thing that is confusing to me about it is the square object that seems to have a line going straight down and intersects the exact edge of the other sphere more forward - I wish that line weren't so hard on the side of the square and down through the shadow - it breaks up the nice flow of lights, shadows - that abrupt line just interferes.   Then, sunnyside and poinsettia are my other favorites.  Good luck and keep us posted!!!
    CJD
  • I couldn't choose between the top five. I think Bowron Lakes, Comedy of Flowers, Dancer, Sunny Side and your latest still life are your best (not necessarily in that order).So I would select three from those five. Best of luck to you in the competition, @CJD.
    CJD
  • Thanks all for the input :)

I'm surprised by the ones you picked as your favourites - they don't match up with mine at all! 

Found some pics of art from the show from previous years and it's mostly realism and mostly really good - some pieces are amazing super high level. Might be more competitive than I thought!
  • Also I'm really glad you guys like that recent still life with the shadows @tassieguy and @Julianna I like it too and you've motivated me to do more in that style :D
  • Bowron Lakes, Comedy of Flowers and Daffodil would be my votes. But really, any of the other suggestions above would be equally good. Good luck!
    CJD
  • Outlet, Dancer, Still Life in White
    Good Luck!
    CJD
  • edited August 13
    Dancer, Praise The Sun and Sunnyside, Comedy Of Flowers is another good choice. These pieces struck me the most within my 1st 10-30 seconds of looking at them if this helps. If there is such very high end pieces, then go for it, trust yourself, your work needs to be noticed and viewed in line with the others in this competition. All the best! Looking forward.
    PaulBanweshaCJD
  • Thanks all who commented - I think I know which paintings I'm going to go for. Hopefully I will be able to post some pics of all 3 of them framed and in the show :P
    JuliannaBobitaly
  • Praise the sun, a comedy of flowers, and ancient tree are my pics. love The sunny side one! Man the colors are SO ON POINT bravo an all!
    CJD
  • Thanks I've decided to go with my two biggest landscapes - the tree one and the recent seascape, and praise the sun
    Bobitaly
  • Good choices CJD, good luck. When is the jury selection and when is the show?
  • CJDCJD -
    edited August 23
    @BOB73 selection is in 2 or 3 weeks and the show is in October. It's the Sidney Fine Art Show (the Canadian one)

On a side note.. Turns out I've needed glasses for at least a few years and didn't know it. Can you believe it? I just got my first pair of glasses and all my paintings look so different. Edges are all way harder, and brushstrokes bolder than I thought!

I feel like I should switch to hyperrealism now. I can see details everywhere
    BOB73
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited August 23
    I thought it was all the squinting. I thought what you're doing IS hyperrealism
  • edited August 24
    ahahaha yes @CJD I changed them too...now I can see in 4d. Good luck for the competition!
    CJD
  • I like Sunny Side and the Outlet. They’re all great.
    CJD
  • CJDCJD -
    edited October 5
    Bit of an update.. My sunflower painting was the only one chosen for the show. Tree painting is now residing in my mom's office. Was surprised that one wasn't juried in as everyone who sees my paintings in person likes it the most. My mom has a couple hundred clients so my plan is to make some business cards for people who are interested in seeing more of my paintings. The pink flower one was previously in this spot.

Competition was tough.. All the paintings I saw being dropped off were really good.

PaulBForgiveness
  • congratulations on the selection for the show!
    the painting looks gorgeous on the wall!.. sure to make many heads turn :)
    CJD
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Congratulations.  That's my experience too - I see paintings being dropped off that are amazing.  What I don't see is many realism entries.  Did you get a sense of how much is realism?
    BOB73CJD
  • Congrats on being selected. The tree painting on that wall color is very harmonious. I didn't have an idea of the scale of this until now, it's huge! I'd be interested in the answer to Paul's question too.
  • @PaulB yeah a surprising amount of realism. Photographs and 3d stuff will also be in the show.
  • @BOB73 i thought it was big until i did the seascape one which is much bigger. Tree one seems small compared to that one! 
  • A few pics for fun

SummerPaulBNorquist
  • It's great to re-visit some of your works (I'm still getting used to your name-change) you're right about sizes but I meant it in terms of size plus amount of detail but this reminded me there was a lot of detail in your sea scape as well so it was a plus-size huge.
    CJD
  • edited October 6
    They look great on the wall, @CJD. I didn't realize how big they were until I saw them like this..
    CJD
  • Thanks all yeah I like the bigger sizes. The tree one and the seascape really looked nice together on the wall... Better than any of my other paintings which is probably just due to the size of them and the nice colours. I would like to do more big ones but I'm not sure what to do yet.
  • The show opened today and I already got a call letting me know my painting sold! That didn't take long.. I haven't even had a chance to go see the show yet
    PaulBJessicaArt
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Congratulations!  That's great to hear.
    CJD
  • Absolutely fantastic! Congratulations! Damn good work!
    CJD
  • Thanks yeah it's encouraging to know some people out there like my flower ones enough to pay a lot for them. I am feeling like I just need to keep doing the best work I possibly can and good things will happen
  • edited October 13
    That's great news, @CJD! Congratulations. It is a shot in the arm when one sells work, isn't it? As painters we spend so much time alone agonizing over our work and so, to me, a sale signals that we're doing something right. It's not so much the money (although that helps put paint on the palette)  but more the affirmation that what we do matters and that what moved us in a subject resonates with others also. Your pictures are of a high standard and getting better so, yes, keep doing what you're doing and good things will happen. :)
    CJD
  • @tassieguy thanks yeah I agree. It is definitely a nice feeling. I priced it high enough that I wasnt sure it would sell at all. Im interested to go on Sunday and see all the other art there and see how people priced their art.

The show did have a minimum $350 price limit which to me suggests that people might underprice a lot of their art. 

The painting was 16x22 inch and I priced it at 1200 for the show. $2 a square inch plus 200 for frame and a few hundred more as the show takes 25%. I figured any less and it wouldn't be worth it
    tassieguy
  • I'm surprised that one sold but not the tree roots one. A sale is a sale so good on you and congratulations. Definitely keep doing those floral over black paintings I think they will be a bread and butter subject for you in  the long run.
  • wow we have so much successfull artists here lately! Can you see in the end we are not so bad? :D Congratulation I am happy for you like it was me:)
  • congrats!!! that's great news!
  • Inspiring!  Thanks for sharing.  :)
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Congratulations, and it's nice to hear there is realism on display.  Just look at that beautiful red dot.
    BOB73
  • edited October 15
    Awesome, CJD. Entering competitions and shows is the way to go. It means our work gets seen, it's something to add to the artist's CV and is a way of selling our work. And, of course, if we win we get all those benefits and perhaps a juicy prize to boot. Keep at it. Your work is already awesome. And getting better. Is there another painting in the pipeline? :)