Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Hello from Columbus, Ohio!

Hi All!

I'm glad to have found this forum to expand my knowledge and meet other artists. Below I'll tell you a bit about myself and a little bit about why I'm here. 

A little about myself:
I was "formally" educated in art and design at a private art college in my early 20's. I worked in fashion design for 5 years before I decided I hated it. I'm just now at a turning point where I am pursuing my dream of being a full time artist.

I love paintings from the Dutch renaissance but also love some more modern artists like Rothko and Paul Klee.

A little about what I am here for:
I am looking to grow as much as I can as an artist, meet other like-minded artists and really just be a part of an art community! 

Tell me about you:
Whats your story? Have you found this forum to be useful for you? Whats your favorite genre or period of painting?
PaulBJuliannaRichard_P

Comments

• Norquist

Welcome to the DMP Forum.

I am a retired archaeologist for the State of Western Australia, in heritage conservation and management.
    This Forum, created by Mark Carder, is centred around the teaching and learning of his representative realist style. 
    Drawn primarily to figurative art but moving into landscape. Art nourishes my mind.

Denis

Norquist
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited August 11
    Welcome Norquist.

Research software engineer, New England, painting in the evenings and weekends for the challenge and relaxation.  Learning everything I can.  Prefer landscapes, or outdoor still life, however you call it.

This is the right place to learn and get help.
    Norquist
  • Welcome!  and you win the award for the most welcoming introduction!  I think you will find that your goal of growing as an artist will be rewarded. I look forward to your posts.  There are so many wonderful artists on this forum, I'm sure you will happy you joined the DMP community.

Norquist
  • Wow great to meet you all!

I've definitely seen a lot of landscapes as I've looked through some posts. I'm a total amateur in landscapes so I look forward to seeing more of that. I recently bought the book "The Elements of Landscape Oil Painting" by Suzanne Brooker. So far its been very enlightening. 

I'll be starting on a portrait next week so I'll post some progress photos. I love getting constructive criticism.

dencalPaulB
  • Welcome :)

I also find myself drawn to dutch renaissance paintings. I prefer portraits over other genres, but also like landscapes and history paintings.
    Norquist
  • Welcome, Norquist. You've landed onto the most family-friendly, artist-friendly site for painting realism on the web. I was self taught then came here and found everything I taught myself was unnecessary or just plain wrong. Give yourself completely to Mark Carder's teaching method for five or six paintings  and you will see fantastic improvement even if you are already a master. Good Luck.
    Norquist
  • Hi, @Norquist. Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn and get advice and constructive criticism. :)
    Norquist
  • @Norquist ; Welcome, from another Columbus, Ohio member.  Look forward to seeing your work.  I don't post as much anymore, but I have found this board and Mark as wonderful and generous resources.  Enjoy.  Josh