Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

mixing purple!

I am having such a hard time mixing this sort of electric purple...I've tried Geneva Blue and Red, not bright enough, I've tried Geneva red and Windsor Newton Pthalo blue..still no... any ideas?

Comments

• edited August 8
    You may want to consider Cobalt Blue mixed with a little Phthalo Blue or Prussian Blue.
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Seem to me all those colors are achievable using regular Geneva paint.  I believe the "electric" effect is really a stippled blend of blue and purple, an illusion, somewhat like my paint puddle here.

JessicaArt
  • You can mix that easily with ultramarine blue and quinacridone magenta. It's similar to the colour of those purple camas flowers I did. Quinacridone magenta is a nice colour to have on hand I've used it for a few paintings now.

PaulBJessicaArt
  • Thanks guys! @PaulB so that's geneva red & blue? None of the new bright colors? I definitely see that effect on your pallet and that's what I want! 
  • PaulBPaulB mod
    Thanks guys! @PaulB so that's geneva red & blue? None of the new bright colors? I definitely see that effect on your pallet and that's what I want! 
    Yep, red, blue and a touch of white.  Start with blue, it's easier.
    JessicaArt
  • I am having such a hard time mixing this sort of electric purple...I've tried Geneva Blue and Red, not bright enough, I've tried Geneva red and Windsor Newton Pthalo blue..still no... any ideas?

Use quinacridone magenta and ultramarine. The magenta will make the most saturated purples and then you can tone them down as need be. Quinacridone magenta is the same as printer magenta and is the closest to the primary color magenta. Look at some of the purples and reds I mixed with it

The purple is just a bit of the magenta, ultramarine and white. The magenta above it is just the magenta mixed with white. Below is a picture of it in the jar
    CJDJuliannaJessicaArt
  • looks like you're on the track.