Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Underdrawing

I'm sure I've seen in Mark's videos/articles to use Stabilo yellow 8044 pencils for underdrawing? But are these chinagraph pencils? as I've just seen an article saying not to use a chinagraph pencil for drawing under oils as the oil won't adhere properly. Or have I got it wrong somewhere?

Comments

• Better verify what I say, but I believe Stabilo pencils are wax based.  Many artists use wax (beeswax) in their mix.  It tends to give the painting surface a matte look.  The point is that oil paint and wax are friends.  The oil paint will take up wax.  I sometimes used a Stabilo pencil to indicate corrections I want to make to my painting
    JohnC
  • dencaldencal -
    edited August 7
    JohnC

The 8044 is a water soluble wax pencil. China graph is also a wax pencil with a grease component to allow mark up of glossy surfaces, also softer than the 8044. I used chinagraph for marking up glossy plastic overlays on aerial photos for geological map making, ok for gross features, horrible for detail.

It is unlikely that the usual amount used of either marker for drawing would affect the adherence of oil paint.

If it is a concern for you try a chalk pastel pencil, graphite pencil, charcoal pencil or even a fine point sharpie. There are several good brands of fine line pigment, permanent markers available.

I had some good experience with Frixion gel pens for the sketch. After permanent mark up the gel can be erased with a butane torch. All the construction and search lines disappear.

If using the non permanent variety it is a good idea to apply a fixative spray. The drawing will still be there if you have to remove some paint.

Denis

JohnC
  • Thanks Denis. I've just found in the bottom of my drawers some Faber Castell Pitt Artist pens which will probably do well if you think fine point sharpies are OK!

• Let us know how they work. Thanks and good luck.
    JohnC
  • SummerSummer -
    edited August 7
    @johnc ; You may try all of the suggestions here and find that none of them are what you want or work to your satisfaction.  I am still searching after years of experimenting.  My only caution is try these suggestions on surfaces that you will actually be using, but not the good ones.  I'm still re-drawing and re-measuring when my marks become obliterated (something @PaulB mentioned earlier).  I don't like it, but I'm dealing with it.  Hope this helps.  Summer
    JohnC
  • Thanks everyone for the help and info!
  • I usually sketch with oil paint thinned and don't start painting till its dry. However, with a pencil you will be able to include a lot more detail to your drawing.
    JohnC