Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Paul’s Austin Blog

En route to Austin.  Secret rigger brush packed.
ForgivenessFlattySummerBoudiccaJuliannaBOB73RoxyRenoirmariebanwesha

Comments

• I'm not going to ask where you have stored it..

Have a great time! Hope you can post a lot about your time with Mark :)
    PaulBBoudiccaCJDmarieb
  • Have fun and learn lots. I envy you, @Paul_B. I wish Austin was closer to Tasmania. Keep us posted.  :)
    PaulBjudith
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 28
    Thank you for sharing your journey with us @PaulB .  I was hoping you would.   :)  
    PaulB
  • Looking forward to this @PaulB =)
    PaulBmarieb
  • I am so looking forward to it!!!  Have a fantastic time.  Stay cool.
    PaulB
  • Try not to fall into the tourist traps selling "KEEP AUSTIN WIERD" T-shirts. 
    PaulBJuliannajudithIrishcajun
  • Thanks guys.  Austin is a very nice city.  I can see Mark's studio building from the hotel window, so even I can't get lost.

It is a bit on the warm side, tomorrow's forecast is 103F / 40C.  Should not have brought the winter coat.
    SummerJuliannaRenoirIrishcajun
  • No, you need the winter coat on your chair to absorb the sweat so you don't slip off.
    SummerPaulBForgivenessmarieb
  • Which one of the courses that Mark offers are you doing? :)
    PaulB
  • Richard_P said:
    Which one of the courses that Mark offers are you doing? :)
    Undecided.  Mark said we could decide on the spot. I’m inclined to want to do the Sargent course, because as you know, I cannot paint loosely.

I have a couple of small paintings with me, which are sure to horrify him.  I’ll defer to his suggestion.
    ForgivenessRenoirmarieb
  • Sounds a good plan to me :)
  • Very exciting! You will have a splendid time and I am sure you will learn much. It will be so nice to be completely submerged in art and painting!!!

• @PaulB, looking forward to your updates...have a ball, don't know how too are going to cope with the temperatures though, but I suppose you have become somewhat acclimatised  B)
  • I must say that this setup looks very familiar--haha!
    PaulBmarieb
  • PaulB

Those white tape patches on the shadow box would drive me nuts.

Denis

SummerBOB73
  • dencal said:
    PaulB

Denis

Denis, that’s masking tape holding the printouts to the picture stand.  Those are life-sized laminated prints, far better quality than anything I’ve seen before.  

Shadow box is a perfect light environment, better than I expected it to be.  Great shadows.

i set up about 40 experimental still life arrangements, it being something of a numbers game, and me having no aesthetic skill.  This morning narrowed it down to one.  It’s a pretty good way of finding one you like.  When I was setting them up they all started to look the same after a while.  When reviewing afterwards it’s pretty clear which ones are better.

Then a bit of Lightroom and Photoshop sizing and cropping.
    SummerJulianna
  • dencal said:
    PaulB

Denis

You can convert the white tape into double-stick tape by attaching the ends together and then pressing each one on a strategic area of the back of the photograph.  This will remove them from your sight yet secure the photo to the board. A gentle pressing on the front of the photo in those areas where the tape exists on the back may be necessary at first to make sure the tape will adhere securely.  Mine holds for months.  I use this method often.  :)
  • When I get my laminated prints from WhiteWall, they are heavy enough so I have to use black clips to keep the print on the picture stand.  Tape won't hold for me in that case.
  • I'd fix it with a magic marker or removable clear scotch tape.
    Summer
  • Cold inside is good. Won't have to sit in puddle of sweat.
  • Thank you for sharing so much @PaulB     I bet you will be exhausted by the end of the week but hope you rest well, eat well and are able to enjoy every second of your time painting.

So, you set up a still life and then photographed it and printed it?  Since nothing is going to die in your still life, I'm confused as to why you aren't just painting from life?

How wonderful that it is cold in there - I bet it shocks your system when you walk out.  Thank you again for taking the time to share with us!
    BOB73Summer
  • where is the rigger ?

Summermarieb
  • edited July 30
    @PaulB -- wow, that's just great. You'll learn so much, I'm sure. The very first brush load of oil paint I ever put on a canvas was at Mark's Austin studio in Nov. 2017. I spent 10 days there and it was fabulous. I hope to go back again sometime. The heat sounds horrible for walking to lunch and back and forth to the hotel. The weather in November was simply perfect. Looking forward to following your progress there. Oh, and we had to change to a left-handed set up for me, too.
    Summer
  • Are you allowed to use enhanced vision on this painting? 
    judithPaulB
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited July 31
    Good question @Summer.  I have my new  magnifier glasses with me, I guess I don’t need to reveal their powers.

The lights in the studio are so bright that it’s not hard to see.

So far i’ve been doing the D and M but no P.

Here are the laminates, super glossy under the harshest of light.

He drawing is complete.  There are a few lines that need to be bumped and I’ll do that in paint.

As for mixing, here is the palette so far, i’ve Done about half, although Mark is going to approve the steps before I start slinging it around.

rautchetan
  • oh say hello from all of us eh!!
    PaulBmarieb
  • judith said:
    oh say hello from all of us eh!!
    Will do!
    judithBoudiccamarieb
  • So jealous.  I miss it all so much.  Please ask him how to find the exposure sweet spot.
    PaulB
  • @PaulB - as for color mixing did you use the photo ref to compare values on directly ? or color checker ?

PaulB
  • Thanks for the reminder @MikeDerby.  What I saw today was Mark adjusting but the exposure while looking at the curve.  When it no longer reached the top-right of the curve it means that the highlights are not washed out.

There may be more to it, I’ll ask tomorrow.
  • Nice stable composition, @Paul_B. And some lovely reflections in the metal and glass items. A great photo print to work from, too.  Enjoy yourself.  :)
    PaulB
  • Sorry you're having such a horrible time there with the harsh lights, cold and rigorous restrictions. Cheer up, maybe things will be better tomorrow.
    judithRichard_PBoudiccaPaulB
  • is the rigger an issue because of trying to paint "loosely"?? ...what a perfectly set up studio I couldn't believe the amount of space MArk had in Alabama
    PaulB
  • alsart said:
    @PaulB - as for color mixing did you use the photo ref to compare values on directly ? or color checker ?

Directly on the laminated photo.  Mark said if painting from photographs is my process at home, he's not going to change it.
    alsart
  • judith said:
    is the rigger an issue because of trying to paint "loosely"?? ...what a perfectly set up studio I couldn't believe the amount of space MArk had in Alabama
    Yes.  The small brush pushes me to create detail where sometimes there is none.
    BOB73Renoir
  • Oh, and we had to change to a left-handed set up for me, too.
    It’s nice to be in a space where moving things around is easy.  I’ve never had the palette on my left before.
    BOB73Renoir
  • There is no black paint in this studio.  You mix your own here.
    Renoir
  • Sure, he doesn't worry about running out of U-blue or BU.
    PaulB
  • Great stilllife photo and premixing on its way, good luck
    PaulB
  • Be bold with those brushstrokes, Paul! I think this will be a nice painting
    PaulB