Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Color Match Poppies

For whatever reason I'm having a really hard time matching this color
Ive been using my computer screen to display the image and I've been using a program to match some of the colors with an RGB calculator. Ive been using Winton: Alizarin Crimson (PR177), Titanium white, Cadmium lemon (PY35), Ultramarine (PB29), and Burnt Umber (PBr7). For whatever reason Im having a hard time time getting my value light enough. As shown in the picture of the swatch my color is much too pink but I can't add any red or my value will be to dark. Can anyone match this with the simple pallet or would it be necessary to use cadmium red or something? I think its also possible that because its a screen instead of a photo it might be a problem. Any Ideas?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited July 24

yumeyashaful

Welcome to the Forum

Suggest Cadmium red light for this match.
    A comparison b/w a transmissive value and a reflected value is a difficult proposition.
    Winton is W&Ns student line of oil paint. Less expensive, less pigment and more filler.

Denis

yumeyashaful
  • edited July 24
    The red I used is pyrrole rubine , cadmium yellow pale, French ultramarine blue, W&N Artists' oil Color. You may want to choose Denis' suggestion above, cadmium red light.
  • edited July 24
    dencal said:

yumeyashaful

Welcome to the Forum

Suggest Cadmium red light for this match.
    A comparison b/w a transmissive value and a reflected value is a difficult proposition.
    Winton is W&Ns student line of oil paint. Less expensive, less pigment and more filler.

Denis

Would you probably start with the cadmium red and modify it to the color or boost the closest color I can mix with the other paint?

• yumeyashaful

Start with the cad red light, mix a few tints and shades.

Gamblin Cadmium Red Light: Orange/red first synthesized in 1910. Because of its muted tints, excellent color for natural light painting.

Pigment: Concentrated cadmium sulfo-selenide (PR 108)
    Vehicle: Alkali refined linseed oil
    Lightfastness I, Series 5, OPAQUE, SDS

Denis

• dencal said:

yumeyashaful

Start with the cad red light, mix a few tints and shades.

Gamblin Cadmium Red Light: Orange/red first synthesized in 1910. Because of its muted tints, excellent color for natural light painting.

Pigment: Concentrated cadmium sulfo-selenide (PR 108)
    Vehicle: Alkali refined linseed oil
    Lightfastness I, Series 5, OPAQUE, SDS

Denis

Wow that looks really good. Do you think I can get away with modifying the cadmium red light with the colors I have (mentioned above).
  • dencaldencal -
    edited July 24
    yumeyasheful

All that’s needed is a pepper crumb of white, yellow, black to give you say, six or eight values in the string.

The poppies will pop off the canvas.

Denis

• dencal said:
    yumeasheful

All that’s needed is a pepper crumb of white, yellow, black to give you say, six or eight values in the string.

The poppies will pop off the canvas.

Denis

Do you typically use a pre mixed black or do you mix your own from blue and brown? I know mark uses the mix of ultra marine and burnt umber in his tutorials. 
  • dencaldencal -
    edited July 24
    yumeyasheful

Yes 60% Blue 40% brown, varied to warm or cool.

Denis

• dencal said:
    yumeyasheful

Yes 60% Blue 40% brown, varied to warm or cool.

Denis

I'm having a difficult time matching this gray any suggestions. I know I'm close.

• PaulBPaulB mod
    You're almost there.  Little white, and maybe a little blue.
    dencal

• This match has been giving me trouble for hours 

any suggestions?
    tassieguy
  • Cadmium red with perhaps a touch of white and alizarin crimson.
  • Richard_P said:
    Cadmium red with perhaps a touch of white and alizarin crimson.

Sorry, I meant this little tinny swatch in the yellow circle. I'm super close but I keep overshooting the value/tint

• yumeyasheful

That is burnt sienna.

Denis