Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Work-Life-Artist #2: Linda Blondheim

Folks

This is an interesting interview on the working life of the Florida artist Linda Blondheim.

https://makingamark.blogspot.com/2018/07/work-life-artist-2-linda-blondheim.html

Denis

ForgivenessSummerPaulBIrishcajuntassieguyBOB73

Comments

• @Renoir - I agree with your admiration of  her key points. They would be admirable in any career, except maybe politics where they would label you as an idealistic, light-weight, short termer not to be taken seriously among the professional state house crowd.

The first two speak for themselves, the her last three show a real depth of understanding of what makes a good life, and a good artist.

I also agree that @decnal is a consistent asset to this group.
    dencalRenoirBOB73
  • Thanks for posting, Denis. Another little gem. I'll have to sell my paintings for at least a grand each so as not to undercut the pros out there. Just to clear up one thing. She said she paints 3 hours a day but later when talking about her routine she said she painted 11 AM to 2 PM then again from 3:30 to 6 PM which means she paints for five and a half hours a day which sounds much more reasonable for a pro. Her experiences seem to echo several other working artists we've heard about but for the first time (except for Mark) an artist is talking about cultivating her patrons and collectors. Great KEY points.
    RenoirdencalForgiveness
  • BOB73

Yeah. I hear what your saying. Small business is all about “Finding, Minding and Grinding”.
    To be successful equal time needs to be allocated to these activities. If 100% of the time is spent painting (Grinding) the business will fail. So, I interpret Blondheim to be saying that non painting time is devoted to customer emails, advertising, mail outs, framing, packaging, taxes, invoicing, database, events.....etc.

Denis
    Forgiveness
  • edited July 23
    It seems that to get the most out of this, is to be busy working in balanced time needed and allocated for all activities being an artist 24 hours a day and enjoy the devoted life that is necessary to succeed. This becomes a filled life now, which includes the unexpected "life in the way occasions" that may come along too. I believe that this is the kind of commitment it takes, that certainly has to include serious work ethics as well as everything else mentioned above. These are huge, near impossible challenges to overcome today in order to remain competitive and well known enough. It would be very important to enjoy everything about it and have fun in it all.
    dencalRenoir
  • To promote yourself it really helps to be a "people person" but so many talented painters aren't. If you fall into that category what can you do besides rely either on a gallery or hire a business manager/agent?
    dencalForgiveness
  • CJDCJD -
    edited July 24
    @BOB73 bring your skill and paintings to a level where everyone who sees them online, including other high level artists, will remember them. Develop an interesting style.

Lots of people are able to do this which I find pretty cool. Go through the people I follow on instagram and you will come across at least 50 artists who meet these criteria. There's one who is @jen_art that I really like and her work is of the kind people on this forum would admire. She does pet portraits and as soon as she posts one she gets a few messages for more commissions. A big reason for this I think is that she is so damn good at painting and her work stands out

Here's her most recent one

A couple more ones that stand out to me

ForgivenessRichard_P
  • edited July 28
    You may have something there @CJD. I will eventually have my own website, soon enough. These are the kind of possibilities I look for, it's good to keep possibilities open and try my best and this could be a lot of fun too. Although I do prefer personal contact over much of anything else. Thank you!
  • Thanks @CJD I pass on info like this. I Don't sell on the internet or social media. 
  • That dog portrait is really nice
    BoudiccatassieguyForgiveness