Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What are steps created from.

Hello
I am a newbie and am trying to understand steps. In a color group, is each succeeding step always created from color you see in the subject of that color group?

Or are you just trying to make a color that is slightly lighter in each step whether you see it in the color group subject or not?
Thanks
PaulB

Comments

• The latter. By going slightly lighter with each step you are keeping the values correct. To match a color of an object you first get the right value from your string then you can add the appropriate color to match the object. It's not very often that you paint on your canvas straight from a step without first modifying it.
    PaulB
  • That is an excellent demonstration @PaulB
    PaulBdencalSummerBOB73
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 22
    Adjacent steps in the color group are also interesting because even though the color is different, they have to be the same value to make mixing subsequent lighter and darker values as you are painting.   I like to leave extra room between strings for this.   @PaulB ; Can you make a biological microbe for me to illustrate this phase of the Mark Carder groups and steps palette?   ;)   Thank you.  Summer