Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Fun Videos

edited July 8 in Off-Topic Discussion
Varnishing with Daler Rowney Damar varnish. Amazingly beautiful; mirrorlike and shiney!  :) I love it.

SummerForgivenesstassieguymarieb

Comments

• It's amazing how it brings the colour out, @Kaustav. I will try that. 
  • @tassieguy it's not capturing the whole effect. It's wonderful to look at.
  • Varnished oil paintings are still very tacky. I did them Sunday morning and this is Tuesday morning 1 am. How long do they need to become normal? How are Varnished oil paintings stored?
  • When I tried Damar varnish, it took a day before I could touch it, but it remained a little sticky for a few days.  I think you have no choice but to store them flat while it dries, otherwise it all slides down.  This also depends on how thick the coat was.

I found Damar resin gives a beautiful gloss.  Gamvar is thinner, and easier to handle, but doesn't achieve that thick gloss coat.
  • @PaulB thanks. How do you avoid dust sticking to tacky varnish? Laying the surface flat helps?
  • anyone else here on instagram ? 
  • PaulBPaulB -
    edited July 10
    Laying flat is probably the worst thing for catching dust, but that's what I did.  I left it in my garage for a few days, not much happens in there, dust-wise.

I think it's @Richard_P who keeps paintings in pizza boxes to dry, dust-free.
  • I did, but one painting didn't dry for weeks (probably because of the clove oil). I am now taping the paintings on a high wall (just below the ceiling) in a warm room that gets indirect sunlight :)
  • Thanks @PaulB ; and @Richard_P I am keeping them vertical. But the surface is still sticky. Could be due to extreme humidity these days.
  • edited July 11
    so it is not a problem of my varnish! i made mine with dammar resin melted in trementin. It was tacky for almost a month..
  • SummerSummer -
    edited July 11
    Folks.  I know this idea is only good for some spaces, but we just finished building another drying rack where the substrates lay flat for as long as it takes.  I needed designated drying spaces to prevent mishaps.  I'm using one for substrates that have just been primed or stained and the other one for long-term drying before and after varnishing.  The whole unit is covered with a king size black lightweight microfiber sheet over the oversized top frame you see here.  One large board in a slot can hold 2, 3, and even 4 smaller paintings.   Someone could build one or more of these for you because simply by looking at them you can figure out how.  I left the lower section open and free of slats for the substrates that can stand on end.  Canvasses require putting a thin board on slats first.  It has been well worth the effort to create this solution to a problem that was getting out of hand.  Summer

• edited July 15
    Levelling the varnish. Initially it had retouch varnish.

• edited July 17
    These are old videos but I guess it would be fun to see them here.

• Packing a canvas artwork

• SummerSummer -
    edited August 6

I learned a few new things about packing from this video.  I've been saving corners, bubble wrap, tubes, glassine paper and other packing materials from purchases sent to me over the past several years for re-use in the future.  Thanks.  :) 

Varnishing.  Like you, I will be using the damar resin varnish as well--as soon as the humidity lets up here as it causes cloudiness during the hardening process.  I will be applying a total of 3 layers with an hour in between each one, and then store them upright while drying.  The surface shouldn't wrinkle or cause drips.  Hope it works.  :)

Summer