Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Lighting

A few months ago I mentioned that I had purchased a LTM Pepper 100W Fresnel Tungsten light from B&H photo online.  It will be what I aim at the still life set up.  It gives a beautiful warm light.  My problem now is getting the same lighting over my easel and palette.   I'm hoping to find a cheap way to do this.  I tried adapting a clip on light from Home Depot  to take the extra 100w bulb I have but that didn't work.  Any suggestions?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited July 3
    Ronna

A beautiful warm light ? Does that mean not 5k?  You won’t be able to see or mix true values using yellow light.

Assuming you will be able to match temperature for both light sources, the other factor is balancing the light strength. The mechanisms for that includes distance ( source to subject ), dimmers and filters.

The crucial adjustment is getting the distances 

source to still life
    still life to color checker
    studio source to canvas 
    studio source to palette

all in a happy strength and temperature balance. 

i cannot work in Watts, a measure of heat. Lumens is a measure of light. As a rough guide I start with somewhere between one to eight and one to ten ratio of lumens still life source to studio source.

I suspect your 100 watt is pumping out 1300  lumens, i’m assuming incandescent here. Unfiltered.
    So you should start looking at eight times this for the studio. That is about 10,300 lumens. I use 7,200 lumens and that is plenty bright. Suggest you might dim or filter your 100 watt to half that strength.

LightMeter Plus is a useful App to measure light strength and temperature.

Try to switch to LED sources as they run cool, last longer and deliver a uniform spectrum.

Denis

alsartRonna
  • Thank you Denis for your info.
    This is what I have starting around the 23:30 mark.

I shouldn't have said warm light.  I should have said soft light? I guess. 
    I looked up the bulb info and it's 100w but the color temp is 2950K. I didn't even realize.  So, if I get bulbs that have that same color temp I should be ok?  It doesn't have to be a halogen bulb(which comes with the above lamp) for the other lamps?
  • Ronna

So, if I get bulbs that have that same color temp I should be ok? 
    Yes. All lamps need to be the same temperature 5k. 2950 is too yellow for mixing paint.
    It doesn't have to be a halogen bulb(which comes with the above lamp) for the other lamps?
    Matched light types will provide a basis for a white balance. 

I thought we were in the close confines of a shadow box. 
    1800 lumens may work out ok in the set up Bauman demonstrates. The highlights look way too bright in the video, the bright areas seem to have the texture and value detail burned out.

Denis

Ronna
  • Ronna

Correction the App I suggested above is called LuxMeter+.

Denis

Ronna
  • The pepper only comes in 3000k which is why I didn’t end up getting it but I do envy you I really wanted one the light I’m thinking of getting that’s similar but 5500k is 1500 lumens. My studio light is 1650 lumens so I’m guessing it’s too bright but I’m wondering if th barn door that comes with it will dim it down?
    Ronna
  • Veronique

Barn doors are to shape output to manage side spill, say to shield audience eyes from the bright light.
    They could be used on LEDs to attenuate the strength of the light. However, there would be too much heat build up with incandescent, fluorescent and halogen.

Theatrical barn doors have a gel slot to house a colored filter. You could use such a thing to interpose layers of white plastic to diffuse the light.

Denis

Ronna
  • Thanks guys for your input on this.  I really appreciate it.
    @Veronique, Denis is correct about the barn door.  They direct the light to the section of the still life you want lit with more light.
    Last night I went to the store and purchased bulbs with 3000K.  I'm going to put them in my overhead fixture which will light both my palette and easel.  I'll practice with a creamy white colored bowl first then something with color to test it out.  I'll let you know how it works out.   :)

dencal