Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Charcoal tip

dencaldencal -
edited June 28 in Drawing
Folks

If you want charcoal to be less dusty, deeper black and more linear in application, then soak a few short lengths in linseed overnight. Willow charcoal treated this way behaves in a similar manner to a black Conte Crayon.

The downside is erasing is difficult and so is shading. I prefer to switch back to dry charcoal for shading.
When the linseed dries the charcoal is unusable.

W&N have a short video here.

Denis

JuliannaRonna

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited June 29
    Hmm.  Disguised advertising to increase sales of willow charcoal and linseed oil?   To me it seems like a lot of product to waste for such minimal effect.  Perfection can already be attained without it.  :)  
  • edited June 28
    That was very interesting!  I have never heard of that before (not that that means anything) but I love charcoal and will try this on my next sketches.  Thank you for sharing.  I wonder if it matters much that it is vine vs willow?  I'll do a little experiment and find out.  :)