Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Water Mixable Oil - Thinning Recipe

Hello Everyone,

I am following Mark on Youtube since a long time and I think he's just great in teaching oils.

I came across a video from DMP where Mark is talking about thinning  oil paint with a medium made by himself and for which I have found the recipe on this website however, for practical reason I am using Water Mixable Oils instead of regular Oils.

Can someone help me in finding a good recipe for WMO or help me to understand how I can modify Mark's recipe so that I can use it with WMO (I am aware that technically I could use that recipe but they would basically turn into regular oils and wouldn;t be able to clean brushes using water - I think).

I would like to create jars already premixed and ready to use instead of having to add drops every time I create and/or mix colors. 

Thanks in advance for your help.  

Comments

• BOB73BOB73 -
    edited June 15
    Welcome Jasmine... @dencal is the wmo expert, he will probably weigh in later, it's only 4 AM where he is.
  • @BOB73 Thank you very much, I will wait for his feedback :)

• Jasmine1976

Thanks BOB73, it’s now 6am (yawn). 

WMOs can be mixed with any medium you would normally use for oil paint.
    using brush dip and n oil immersion bath for used brushes means solvents, soap and water are not needed. Solvents, soap and water will deteriorate brushes rapidly.

My WMOs were useable for two years in small, airtight containers, mixed with SDM.

I assume the ‘practical’ reason is eliminating solvents. If so, you can substitute the OMS component in SDM with citrus solvent, made from orange skins, 

Denis

Renoir
  • @dencal thank you very much for your help :)

ehmmm could you clarify what you mean by OMS and SDM sorry very new to oil paint... :(

so if I take this recipe from mark

• 10 parts odorless mineral spirits >> could subsitute with water 
    • 5 parts stand oil or linseed stand oil >> could substitute with  the watermixable version
    • 1 part refined linseed oil >> (Not sure - would this suitable with WMO? alternative)
    • 5 parts Venice turpentine * >> (Not sure - would this suitable with WMO? alternative)
    • 2 parts oil of cloves † >> (Not sure - would this suitable with WMO? alternative)
    Sorry for extending the post, I am just trying to replicate what I saw in the video from DMP because I think using the paint straight from the tube as I am doing now it's ok but the paint it is a bit too stiff.   

I need to make sure the medium I use it is safe to use in a very small non-ventilated studio.

Thanks again for your help and patience :)

• dencaldencal -
    edited June 15
    Jasmine1976

Apologies for the alphabet soup. SDM is slow dry medium and OMS is oderless mineral spirit.

To improve the consistency of WMOs, small amounts of linseed or walnut oil will work on their own.
    Add clove to extend the open time.
    Add Venetian turpentine (natural larch resin) to improve gloss and flow.
    Add stand oil for body and brushable qualities.
    Add citrus solvent to thin consistency.

Do not use water. Unnaceptable color shift, flow characteristics and brush work.
    If you insist on using water then accept that there is no WMO substitute for clove oil or Venetian turpentine.

Denis

• Ok @dencal, I figured it out... when I'm eating supper here tonight, you're eating tomorrow's breakfast. By my clock, you're eating eggs that haven't been laid yet.
    Renoirdencal
  • BOB73

Yeah, eggsactly, future eggs taste the best. Eating them up side down is hard to get used to.

Denis
    RenoirBOB73
  • BMnGBMnG -
    edited June 16
    @dencal Thank you very much.... couldn't have been clearer 
    dencal
  • edited June 16
  • dencal said:
    Jasmine1976

Apologies for the alphabet soup. SDM is slow dry medium and OMS is oderless mineral spirit.

To improve the consistency of WMOs, small amounts of linseed or walnut oil will work on their own.
    Add clove to extend the open time.
    Add Venetian turpentine (natural larch resin) to improve gloss and flow.
    Add stand oil for body and brushable qualities.
    Add citrus solvent to thin consistency.

Do not use water. Unnaceptable color shift, flow characteristics and brush work.
    If you insist on using water then accept that there is no WMO substitute for clove oil or Venetian turpentine.

Denis

Thanks! Very useful and insightful. I need to save this. At the moment, I only use WMO together with linseed oil. Would be great to try others to serve different purpose.
    dencal