Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Shadow box distance

How far away should the shadow box be from your sitting position or easel?

Comments

• Steve

Five to ten feet is a comfortable range. Small or complex objects at the closer distance.

Denis
  • Ten feet? Let me find my binoculars.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 11
    I think this will depend on how much of the still life you want to present on your canvas, much like adjusting depth-of-field on the lens of a camera.  I don't think you can get this wrong.  You will start to feel uncomfortable when it is wrong--too far in either direction.  You do have to hold the color checker at arms length, however. 
  • I've found I'm not good at judging distances. I've measured and set up strings but the most helpful trick (for me) is cutting out a frame the size of my canvas and use it to block my subject. Then I know how far from the subject I need to be. Note, people with better vision probably won't need this.
  • That’s a great idea. My shadow box is almost finnished just one more coat of paint then I’m going to try the cardboard frame.