Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Mixing Geneva Paints

Just received my five essential Geneva paint tubes, and have a few questions. I watched one of Mark's videos where he was mixing linseed oil, or oil of cloves, into different colored paints, and I'm wondering if that video was intended as instruction for mixing oil into paint when you don't have the Geneva paints that already have the oil mixed in. Mark mixed oil into those paints in small Mason jars. Now I have bought about six Mason jars, and I'm thinking the next step would be to put my Geneva Paints into the Mason jars, as Mark may be doing prior to his painting sessions. Have I got all that about right?     

Comments

• No. The Geneva paints are made so you can us them straight out of the tube. No need for the jars.
  • You paint straight from the tubes, they already are mixed with medium.
  • Thanks. I was thinking of using the jars because it would be so easy to see which colors were which without reading the labels, and it might be cleaner to use, without messing with the tubes, and easier to get the exact amount of paint I want to use in a given session, without squeezing out too much by accident. I'm wondering if Mark ever does that with his Geneva paints.
  • Gosseyn said:
    Thanks. I was thinking of using the jars because it would be so easy to see which colors were which without reading the labels, and it might be cleaner to use, without messing with the tubes, and easier to get the exact amount of paint I want to use in a given session, without squeezing out too much by accident. I'm wondering if Mark ever does that with his Geneva paints.
    That is, I wonder if he ever puts his Geneva paints in Mason jars prior to painting for the reasons I just stated, or if anyone else here has done that, and how well it worked.
  • I wouldn’t put the tubed paint in jars, Mark did originally sell the paint in jars, and switched to tubes which I can only assume was for a good reason. I made my own paint using the jars and SDM and I have found using the tubes less messy. However, different strokes for different strokes, so maybe jars are your thing  :)
  • Thanks Boudicca. I've decided to use the tubes for now; and since I'll be seeing Mark in July, I can ask him this question personally then.  
  • It would be ok to put enough tube paint in jars to last a few days but I wouldn't do it for larger amounts they will last longer in the tubes.