Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Glass Palette from Geneva

To clean the dust and fingerprints off my Geneva glass palette (which is clean of paint otherwise) can I just use Windex to clean it? 

Comments

• I use 99 percent isopropyl alcohol from the drugstore.  Windex will leave a film.  It doesn't have to be that high of a percentage though.
  • Yup, alcohol works better than anything else I've used the real trick is finding a cloth that doesn't leave any lint.
  • OK, thanks. I was concerned about the isopropyl alcohol because someone said it gives off toxic fumes.
  • I use the alcohol with caution.
  • You can purchase alcohol swabs at a pharmacy. That will reduce a lot of the smell and fumes. one or two is enough for a large palette. The down side is you cannot make cocktails with them.
    tyrohne
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 3
    It is possible to clean a palette using alcohol from a bottle and have your cleaning cloth contain less alcohol than when you use alcohol swabs.  It's cheaper, as well.  It all a matter of how it's dispensed from the bottle.  I don't remove all of the aluminum seal on the bottle.  Two-thirds of the opening remains sealed at all times.  
  • If the palette is still wet I use baby wipes to clean all the paint off the palette. Then I wash the whole palette in dish soap and warm water, wash off again with clean water, and rub dry with a paper towel.
  • I don't clean my palette fully.  I equate this to not cleaning my brushes.

I take off most paint with a palette knife and use it to stain panels, then using a paper towel remove what's left.  The result is quite clean, but with a slight oily film to it.  Then I squirt paint all over it again, and I just don't see the point in taking it all the way to squeaky clean.
    Kaustav
  • PaulB said:j
    I don't clean my palette fully.  I equate this to not cleaning my brushes.

I take off most paint with a palette knife and use it to stain panels, then using a paper towel remove what's left.  The result is quite clean, but with a slight oily film to it.  Then I squirt paint all over it again, and I just don't see the point in taking it all the way to squeaky clean.
    I do the same too. I even scrape off paint while painting and keep that puddle aside to use it as a color. But it's better to recycle as much as possible as things are very expensive.