Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Landscape photos

I took a batch of landscape photos in Charleston SC this week and offer them to you as source material.  Some of them are pretty good.  I have the RAW files if you want to photoshop any of them.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157696964492534

SummerPaulBdencalRoxyanwesha

Comments

• I like be that bridge @MikeDerby
    kind of you to post thanks 
  • Woww these are terrific. I love that bridge but oh boy what a challenge. The egret in flight towards the bridge is a great one because he's lying with his reflection in the water. Thanks a lot for posting. I was in Columbia S.C. for a while and saw some beautiful scenery there but nothing as grand as this.
  • You can do it @bob73.  I see a great impressionist masterpiece just waiting to happen 
  • One note about Charleston you may appreciate. We did a self guided gallery crawl one day because there are about fifty private galleries there.  They were all stuffed with realist and impressionist paintings.  I saw some incredible art, and high prices.  Unlike my own town, which is stuck in the abstract movements of the last century, Charleston, that conservative old bastion of the south, has moved on.
  • edited June 3
                                                                                      Beautiful photos @MikeDerby!  What is this white bird? These are just a few vignettes (crops but no further editing) I picked out of some of your photos that are quite suited for new paintings. If any one is interested in any of these please feel free. I have the larger full size version of these crops and are subject to further editing as I have not touched them yet, I can up load those for anyone here.
  • I am not entirely certain but it sure looks like a swan. 
  • I think it is more like a white "crane", as in the "heron" family of birds. I don't think this is a "Whooping Crane" though. I'm sure it's not difficult to find out. Fantastic photos for painting from!
  • edited June 3
    It turns out that this is  a "White Phase Great Blue Heron" (bird of peace and tranquility), identifying the "s" shaped neck while flying and while on land (there is a photo in Mike's collection that clearly shows it flying into this scene). The White Crane has a straight and shorter neck and beak , flies with a straight neck. It further turns out that these do appear here in parts of Canada as well where I live (I don't recall ever seeing one for myself). The Heron and the Egret are of the same family, but not the Crane. The "Whooping Crane" is remarkable for a bright red top on the head against its white plumage.
  • The bird is a great egret. Fairly common in the southeast. There are no whooping cranes in that part of the nation. Whooping cranes summer in Northern Canada around Wood Buffalo National Park and winter along the Texas coast in the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. They had attempted to use Sandhill cranes that migrate down the Atlantic Flyway as foster parents for whooping cranes, so there is a possibility of some whooping cranes in Florida in the winter, but I am not sure if that program met with much success. Whooping cranes are critically endangered, but egrets are quite common and expanding their range northward. We even have some in Montana in the summer. Great photos.
  • edited June 4
    Several photos also show the Egret,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  • At our local arboretum, many of the plants and trees have name labels but the birds refuse to wear them. As egrets and herons go we have both and they put on disguises trying to look like each other but the egrets have longer legs and shorter tails no matter the size or color of their bills.