Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Paint Tube Shaker for elderly painters

SummerSummer -
edited June 4 in Studio & Supplies

Shaking the Geneva tubes manually got to be a drag so my husband and I collaborated on this mechanical shaker. Some of you might be interested enough to make your own. It's mostly obvious, but it took drilling three mounting holes to attach the right-angle channel to the back of a saw blade. Those blades are made of hardened tool steel that ordinary drills can't touch! Even cobalt metal drills quickly dulled in the process. The only thing that finally got through was a 20 thousand rpm tungsten carbide burr. We have no patent on this so help yourself guys--haha. 

Summer

WIKENForgivenessjhc1982azcrazy

Comments

• Pretty cool.  You can also do this by holding the tube against a vibrating sander, minus the sand paper of course.  
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 31
    I would like to say that I'm willing to provide more details if someone is interested or just curious.  :)    This tool is now an essential/indispensable part of my studio life now--just saying.  
  • innovation never dies, it just gets more unbelievable. Great idea. 
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 31
    I used it today on several tubes of Mark's Canvas Stain.
  • necessity is the mother of invention )
    Summer
  • I would have put the paint tubes in a sealed bag and thrown it in the clothes dryer.

But the cost of a mistake there is very high.  Then again, your paint shaker could easily change a room.
    Summer
  • I've had the oscillating tool at full throttle and the ten threads in the cap and heavy plexiglass barriers as well as the heavy plastic used to hold Mark's paints held up in the worst case scenario tests.  Of course It doesn't require full throttle to mix the paint.  About half that.  I don't recommend this tool for anyone who doesn't feel comfortable around tools in the first place.  Just saying. 
  • edited June 1
    Can't you just go the gym, get on the treadmill for 10 minutes with a tube in each hand? ;)
    tyrohneanwesha
  • We have gym equipment in our home that I use.  Treadmill, etc.  I think the oscillator is a better fit for shaking the contents in the tubes, however.  You wouldn't believe the difference in the flow of the paints out of the tube after using the oscillator.  I'm really pleased with the results.  Thanks guys for your alternative ideas.  The dryer and gym ideas would have been more my style if only....   And if we ever have intruders, I'll keep Paul's idea in mind and remove the plastic.  :)

• Reminds me of laboratory equipment designed to shake/vibrate liquids.  I wonder if one of these would work:

https://www.scientificindustries.com/vortex-genie-2.html

Summer
  • Exactly, Paul.  In the beginning, I had something like this in mind but we had to go with tools at hand.  I also had a thought that if Mark developed this shaking idea for Geneva paints, not the oscillator in particular, it would be a big seller.  Hmm.
  • PaulB

I think you could achieve much of what the vortex genie does with a Ryobi random orbital sander and do it at about 20% of the genie’s price.

A vortex type machine is likely to sort the heavy pigments to the outside radius and leave the oil on the inside radius.

Denis

Summer
  • I'm sure some of you will come up with good solutions in the years to come--as the need arises.  A younger family member might be willing to help out.  Hmm. 
  • Guys - Just tape it to a blender, as you make your morning smoothies  - or take all your tubes to Ace hardware and place in an empty tin and ask them to shake it up for you, Ace is the place!!,...
    Summer
  • Tie it to a dog's tail before you take them for a walk? :p
    Summer
  • Make friends with your local hardware store. My husband bought out his parents store (over 50 years in business; we still sold nails by the pound) and we were happy to shake a can of paint for a friendly customer. Actually, I really loved it as we have some professional artists in the area and I got a chance to chat with them all :-)
    SummerPaulB
  • Nice idea @Renoir and @alsart.  Will keep it in mind. 
    Veronique
  • Hold the tube in your hand instead of the TV remote. You will knead the paint into creamy uniform consistency in no time.
    Summer
  • BOB73

Don't tempt me with a line like that.

Denis

VeroniqueBOB73
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 2
    @BOB73 ;  Even though your suggestion is a good one, after contemplating it, I have to laugh because the hand and arm that you are referring to, that normally shook and massaged the paint tubes in my younger days are actually connected to each other and pretty much in the same state of diminished strength.   But thank you.   ;)
  • Folks, What I like about all of your suggestions over our solution, is that they cannot be weaponized (Thanks @PaulB).  lol  :)
    PaulBRenoirmarieb
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 4
    Calling it the Paint Gun.  I use it almost every day now.  My husband likes to stand in front of it when I turn it on just to shake ME up!  :o
  • Tried the palm sander and it worked! also left the outside of tube smooth and slick now I have to open the top to see what color it is.
    Summerdencal
  • Hope you took off the sandpaper first.  lol  Careful the paint tube doesn't wear thin with use.  Sounds like a good idea to develop.  :)
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 6
    While I was using it today, my dog kept getting in front of it.  Back and forth several times--and normally she is frightened of everything I do.  The one time she should have been afraid--haha.  (She learned it from my husband.  He does it too--stand in front of the paint gun while it is in operation.)  I set it on a solid platform and it sounds and acts like a machine gun.
  • Just wanted to say that I still add air to the paint tubes before shaking with the Paint Gun AND remove the air from the paint tubes right after I have dispensed the paint onto the palette.  The Paint Gun is only good for shaking when the tubes are properly prepared and cared for before and after use.   :)   Just saying.