Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected]xpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Lighting from both side on studio ceiling

Hi,

Sorry to be asking the second question in only a few days..

I am trying to clear out my garage and set it up as a studio. I have built the easel and am going to get the photo stand done this week. I wondered about the lighting set up. I currently have two strip lights but I am struggling to find a space that I like with one at 35 degrees. So I moved the easel against the wall equidistant between the two light...please see photo (excuse the mess we just moved in :blush: )

I have still to get the black backdrop up but there doesn't appear to be any obvious glare. That said it does all just seem very bright. Would anyone have any advice about the best set up? I could just ditch the ceiling lights all together if needed and go for a couple of lamps at the top of the easel.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Comments

• Jamie

This looks like a workable setup. Daylight 5000k?

It"s going to be difficult keeping light spill out of a shadow box. But it is usually difficult no matter how the lights are arranged.

Denis

jhc1982
  • dencal said:
    Jamie

This looks like a workable setup. Daylight 5000k?

It"s going to be difficult keeping light spill out of a shadow box. But it is usually difficult no matter how the lights are arranged.

Denis

Thanks Denis,

Not currently, they look more in the 3000-4000k range but wanted to get some input on the position before going to buy the 5000k's. I am starting off on photos so will deal with the shadow box next :)

I think a long top and sides at the front kind of like a lens filter may help. I will have a play. Maybe dropping the overall watts on the strip lights too or some kind of diffuser on those. I will have a play. 

Thanks for the help,

Jamie
  • Jamie

If at some time in the future you are changing the fixtures ...
    you could try the two parallel strips above the easel at 35 degrees.

There are some great 3600 lumen 5500k LED strips for AU$75 available now.
    Arlec is the brand. Check your local supplier.

Denis

jhc1982
  • @ Jamie, in my set up I use these 
    jhc1982
  • Dennis, looks like we had a similar thought at the same time !
    dencal
  • @dencal I think that will be a good idea for the long term. I saw Andrew Tischler has that kind of set up and puts them on a rail so they can slide forward and back. I will leave for now or I will forever procrastinate on set up and never open any paint tubes :)

Thanks @marieb! Looks like a nice cheap solution.
    dencalmarieb