Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Painting aids road safety

Folks

Outback town takes a 3D approach to slowing motorists at pedestrian crossings

An outback town in western Queensland is the latest to join an unconventional global trend aimed at helping motorists slow down near pedestrian crossings. Read the full story

Denis

Comments

• PaulBPaulB mod
    That would piss me off, it looks like concrete blocks in the road, and low-profile tires do not like that.

It must also look strange from the other direction.
    marieb
  • it's impossible to work out how council's think! AT one stage they were taking away crossings saying it was safer on a busy road for pedestrians to wait for proper gap in traffic...that was about 15 years ago in Hobart Australia
  • Why don't they just paint a  pretty girl? that would slow me down. Besides the 3d effect would only work the first time each driver saw it. After the first time they'd know and not slow down.
    dencal
  • Looks awesome. I think its a great idea. It's true that people who use the road regularly would get used to it but it would still jog their memory. about the need to slow down.
    dencal
  • Its a nice interesting look but soon we will read about people driving over all manner of traffic obstacle thinking they were just painted on! :-)
    SummerBOB73
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 6
    While sitting at a stop light in an intersection of a rural city one year, I had the experience of watching a pickup truck filled with young people, some hanging out the windows, travel at high speed and plow into a group of about 8 6-ft. high orange and white steel poles--on purpose.  You guessed it!  Flexible poles, of which they were obviously aware but I wasn't.  It gave new meaning to racing heart as I watched this unfold!  The poles were driven to the ground and then laid flat across the pavement a few seconds.  As the truck left, the poles returned to their upright position.  No damage to truck, people or poles that I could see.  Hmm.   
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 3
    I was thinking to post one of these as well, @Richard_P.  Notice how the woman on the bike has to ride the plank--haha.  And the person behind her is about to do the same.  :)
  • isn't this something that @Forgiveness used to do many years ago ?
  • alsart said:
    isn't this something that @Forgiveness used to do many years ago ?
    @alsart ; I remember @Forgiveness saying so, yes.  I wonder if he has photos of his work.  Hmm.
  • edited June 5
                            The above are but 2 examples of my earlier work on the street. Practical applications for these around town were discussed, nothing to do with road traffic though as in the above article. We were counting on such artwork to help bring some sort of serenity to the every day city street and business environment, have fun doing so and earn an income, but to no avail. As matter of fact I only added to the chaos that was already there and growing steadily. It was good to try to do something good, and I have grown wiser and more mature as a result. This was only my experience and only where I live. I can't understand how such a concept could ever work in a downtown environment given there is so much going on that are demanding so much attention and alertness everywhere. I understand that 3D imagery on the street only works visually most effectively from one direction? but they make great photos as keepsakes! I wonder how much the driver will be distracted from seeing the stop sign, pedestrian or any other vehicle, eg.: bicycle, etc. because of such strong 3D images, and we have to consider the glare factor and reflections of bright, blinding sunlight bouncing off of these works of art? Many changes taking place in downtown store fronts to minimize viewer distraction while on the road and increase pedestrian safety at traffic intersections, such as no movie screens of any sort in store fronts! Very interesting, yet quite a challenging subject to inquire about and come to any resolve.
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 5
    @Forgiveness ; So good of you Mark to show us these.  I couldn't help but notice your handwriting.  The vertical construction is a sign of high intelligence according to some forensic scientists.  It's also what I have believed for many years.  Mine leans to the left which indicates an emotional nature to put it kindly.  Lovely motifs.  Summer  :)
    Forgiveness
  • edited June 5
    Thank you for your comments @Summer, you're so kind! If I was still doing this today, I would be rendering these in front of the American Embassy here like my friend who started same time as I, and continues today with old classical masterpieces as always for him.
  • I think thats pretty cool! Not sure on its effectiveness, but pretty neat! 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited June 6
    Notice how there is no traffic on this road and its daytime.  I think word has gotten out to avoid this area!  Attractive nuisance more than a solution to a problem.  My first time at this curious piece of roadway?  I'd get out to inspect it first before I drove any further thereby causing more problems for other drivers.  I can hear them honking at me now!  :/  
  • thanks for posting @Forgiveness great work