Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Same amount of light

With colour checking I’m a bit confused about the subject being in the same amount of light as you are. When my shadow box is finished it’s going to have one of those bendable snake lights that you clip on to start with. When I shine that down from the top right hand side won’t the light be different in different parts of the still life? What kind of light do people recommend for their shadow box.  My studio light is adjustable for cool warm or white and I’ve got it adjusted to white. 28w. LED

Comments

• Veronique

Imagine a red bulb in your shadow box, what would the painting look like?

So, a well balanced daylight studio light needs to be matched with a well balanced daylight shadow box light.

Denis

• @dencal, I haven’t painted from my shadow box yet, I have used it to set up and photograph subjects. I thought that you could use any light that you like to get the effect that you require, eg, soft evening light on a fruit bowl, and then make sure you have the same light on your palette and canvas? 
  • marieb

Sure, if that is what you want. (bear in mind your camera may be applying a white balance adjustment). However, the resultant painting may look weird in the kitchen or at the gallery. The quality of light determines the hue and value of the color you mix and apply to the painting.
    The 5000k balanced combo aims for natural color that will look real in normal viewing conditions. 

Veronique is just setting up so needs to follow the Carderite scripture according to Mark.

Denis

• Veronique

Your shadow box does not need to be uniformly or evenly lit. Shadow and lost edges provide depth and dimension in a painting. Don't waste drama and impact by flooding the shadow box.

Denis

• You just want your color checker in the same light as your palette and canvas like you said. You also want to block out as much light from your studio from getting into your shadow box. that's the hard part.