Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

cracking

This is totally the opposite of Sargent, and the style I prefer, but I am working on a large project painted on oak panel after the style of Hieronymus Bosch (16th Century Dutch). I have a deadline to submit photo so I will have a little time to allow it to dry after I submit the photo. However, I would like to introduce a bit of cracking. I assume being in a hurry might be an asset for that. I guess there are lots of ways to go about producing cracks, but I would like them to be subtle. Any safe way to get small cracks in the painting? 

Comments

• I am sure crackle effect was discussed here not so long ago maybe @dencal was on the topic - Bosch loving it please post the work 

• This is excerpted from Wiki.

Induced craquelure can be created by a variety of techniques, and in paintings is often used by forgers of Old Master paintings, which would normally show some. Art forger Eric Hebborn developed a technique and Tony Tetro discovered a way to use formaldehyde and a special baking process.[6] Craquelure is almost impossible to accurately reproduce artificially in a particular pattern, although there are some methods such as baking or finishing of a painting by which this is attempted. These methods, however, generally achieve cracks that are uniform in appearance, while genuine craquelure has cracks with irregular patterns.[7]

Craquelure is frequently induced by using zinc white paints as the underlayer in pentimento techniques. Zinc whites with small zinc oxide particles (~250 nm) are more successful at inducing craquelure than larger aprticles because it does not adhere to the sublayer.[8] Additionally, zinc white paints using linoleic acid-based binders are more successful at producing craquelure than paints with other binders.[8]

Summer
  • dencaldencal -
    edited June 3
    krdorame

Here is an artist creating craquelure on a finished painting with a coat of water based varnish followed by a coat of oil based varnish.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-create-craquelure-with-traditional-oil-painting-materials

Denis