Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Liquin Impasto and fat over lean

Hey I'm thinking of going over one of my paintings with a second layer using the liquin impasto. The first layer was with Geneva paint... so how can I ensure that the second layer is "fatter" and will not crack?

Thanks

Comments

• Also has anyone used this medium with Geneva before? Or is it supposed to be used with paint straight out of the tube or with a small amount of oil or other medium?
  • dencaldencal -
    edited May 19
    movealonghome

Don’t add other mediums to tube paint and impasto, not necessary.

Selected extracts from; 
    http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233711

Liquin, although being a fast-dryer (which would limit its use to lower layers), is also known to be more flexible than linseed. The fat over lean principle is designed to place a more flexible layer over a less flexible layer, so in that respect, Liquin could, legitimately, be placed over an oil-rich layer.Dec 1, 2004

I have been using Liquin since the late 80s. I paint on panels only, so flexible grounds are not a problem in terms of cracking. But, the fact is I have several of those original Liquin pieces and none of them exhibit any cracking or crazing whatsoever. 

Perhaps I have been careless, but I have never paid attention to the fat over lean rule, mostly because I felt it applied to traditional media and I have yet to see Liquin exhibit any defects. No matter how I have applied it--and I paint in layers, building sometimes as many as 20 on particular parts of a painting--it just hardens and becomes so durable that even fingernails will not scratch it. 

I think you can use OMS to thin it without a penalty, but I believe you're asking for problems when you bring turpentine into the picture. Clean your brushes in OMS, use Liquin as your only medium (and it comes in a thinner form, for details, and a gel form, for impasto) and I believe you will be pleased with the long-term results.

I also use it as the top layer, instead of Damar picture varnish. Like I said, over 20 years...and still not a single incident of nasty behavior. But, I can't speak to how it would be on canvas.

murad sayen

Alkyd mediums are considered a fat by the makers so we should treat them accordingly - more Liquin = fatter ...

I can add that Liquin products are based on a modified soy oil, 

Just received my Geneva paints a few days ago, so no experience with Liquin yet.

The other wobbly is your question is about the impasto version of Liquin. Complicated by the slow dry characteristic of Geneva. 

Use Liquin in the Geneva layer if you can, add slightly more to top layer.

Denis

• Thanks lots of good info there. I'm going with liquin impasto mixed with geneva. Seems very similar in feel to the liquin impasto mixed straight with tube paint. Will post painting pic when done. Doing an entire new layer over that tree landscape one I did
  • liquin gel for impasto?
  • dencaldencal -
    edited May 19
    BOB73

The first of this pair of videos demonstrates the Liquin family of products.

Denis