Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Canvas size that Mark most uses or recommends?

Which canvas size does Mark use most or recommends?

Comments

• I don’t think Mark recommends a particular size as such. In his still lifes he does recommend working life size, so then the size of your canvas needs to reflect the size of your set up.
    BOB73
  • A rant.  Sorry.  I should have listened more closely when Mark suggested to only make a few canvasses ahead of time.  Here I am 3 years later still trying to use those old canvasses I prepared but meanwhile I have moved on to aluminum substrates.  There was so much labor invested in those stretched and primed canvasses I won't discard them.  Still, I enjoyed the process and learning the skill of preparing my own stretched canvasses.  The experience of it is invaluable as time goes on when judging art.  There is an empathy that didn't exist before as well.  I'm just one of those people who doesn't like it when a canvas responds to every stroke I apply with a little wiggle.  Tight as a drum never lasted very long with mine.  So, as important as the size is, the number made ahead of time could be important too.  Shipping will probably be the deciding factor whether canvas is used or not.  For very large canvasses or the need to ship a canvas in a tube, canvas is cheaper.  Just saying.   Summer
  • @Summer, I have a similar problem, I have 70+ panels primed and ready, all of which predate my love of aluminum panels.  I'm very slowly getting through them, using them for sketches, and small paintings.  But it will take years.
    Summer
  • @PaulB
    @Summer

I usually finish a painting, plan my next one and then go get the appropriate stretcher bars for it. A girl at the art store asked me a few weeks ago if I just like, finish a painting and then come back for the bars for the next one. I didn't know anyone was paying attention lol
    Summer
  • Can't you sell the old stretched canvases?
  • Richard_P said:
    Can't you sell the old stretched canvases?
    Good idea but not likely.  I'm resigned to my fate.  :/
  • PaulB said:
    @Summer, I have a similar problem, I have 70+ panels primed and ready, all of which predate my love of aluminum panels.  I'm very slowly getting through them, using them for sketches, and small paintings.  But it will take years.

If you don't start another large project like cinque T. you should have plenty of time to use up those smaller supports. Maybe you could do a series of old barns, covered bridges or spotted leaves.
  • BOB73 said:

If you don't start another large project like cinque T. you should have plenty of time to use up those smaller supports. Maybe you could do a series of old barns, covered bridges or spotted leaves.
    Not going to start a big one for a while.  Currently I'm painting a wall.
    BOB73marieb
  • If it falls in line with your usual projects it must be the great wall of China.
    SummerPaulB
  • BOB73 said:
    If it falls in line with your usual projects it must be the great wall of China.
    No, the Berlin Wall, that came down too.
    PaulB
  • PaulB said:
    BOB73 said:

More Geneva Stain on the walls eh?
  • Richard_P said:
    PaulB said:
    More Geneva Stain on the walls eh?
    Sigh.  It's an old scene with lots of memories, and yes, the wall once again just happens to be very close to Geneva stain.
  • PaulB said:currently I'm painting a wall.
    I thought you were doing a spot of “ home improvement”   :# B)
    PaulB