Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Fast sketch 1 Hour with charcoal (reference Amorino addormentato by Caravaggio)

Comments

• Ah I have a question, it is the first time I am using this very soft eraser, it is very malleable like Pongo, but it doesn't really erase..and also absorb a lot of charcoal..what is the correct way to use it? I saw in a video and it was really taking out every from the paper, but mine don't..and it is a good quality :(
  • hmm you mean like a gum eraser? I use those more to like dab the paper with. Like if I wanted to get a highlight area I would dab it down once, then mush the eraser up again and reform it an dab again... so like using a fresh edge each time. Not sure if that makes sense... 
    Also... I LOVE the knee areas in this sketch. Great work! 
    Filuren
  • Yes exactly @JessicaArt it makes sense ! I guess it is me who expected too much from the eraser! Thank you!! 
    JessicaArt
  • My experience has been those erasers work well with graphite, but not so effective with charcoal. Nice sketch by the way.
    JessicaArt
  • Ahhhh I see..thank you @Roxy :)
  • edited May 15
    I most often try to erase, remove with paper towel, cotton rag, or cleanex "first", and afterward remove the remainder with the eraser of choice. Otherwise, my gum eraser gets contaminated and unusable very quickly and need a replacement. Fingers work well as an eraser, but must wash frequently. I use a white eraser, black eraser and gum eraser.
  • Thank you @Forgiveness I Will do the same.
    Forgiveness
  • Nice portrait for you avatar!
  • Thank you @Forgiveness I am experimenting :D 
    Forgivenessjudith
  • Bob

Another factor to consider is the type of charcoal you use. Willow charcoal erases more easily and more completely than compressed charcoal, which is a devil to erase.

I have just recently purchased Nitram charcoal. Has a very good reputation, but not used it enough to offer any information.

Denis

Bobitaly
  • Wow @Dencal say thank you is not enough really, I will make treasure of your words, I didn't know of all this things because in professional books they tend to omit this practical things and in amateur ones are too superficial...thank you !!!
    dencal
  • Bob

Another suggestion if you choose the AS ColourFix Primer.

Applied to YUPO  (a polypropylene material ) ColourFix is pretty indestructible. For example if I do a pastel landscape that  (rarely) is not worth finishing I can use the garden hose to get back to a fresh clean surface. For pastels I want to keep a light spray or three with non fat skim milk (casein) will fix it to smudge proof durability.

I suspect the same materials and process could be used for charcoal. Though fine nuance of tone may be more difficult.

There are other “smart paper” polypropylene products besides YUPO.

Denis

• Thank you very much @dencal this are precious informations, I am sure I will use it one day, also because oil pastels are something very intriguing for me. Thank you!! You are really kind and acknowledged :)

dencal