Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Landscape challenge - WIP to almost done

I'm terrible for agonizing over what to paint, so I sliced through all of that by snapping a photo of the view that I see every day, while I'm waiting for the ferry to work:

On to the work in progress pics.

Set up on my newly build easel. So new, the wood stain is barely dry!

The two mounting blocks are made out of an old floorboard from my house. The wood is Matai, which is a New Zealand native timber. It's a beautiful wood, and pretty uncommon and expensive these days. Back in the day they hacked down the Kauri, Matai, and Rimu trees and made stuff out of it; now we use crappy pine treated with nasty heavy metal compounds. Such a shame, so I try to recycle.

All sketched in. I wanted to try out my new proportional dividers and transfer the photo, rather than trace or otherwise clone. Worked out OK.

I had Mark's landscape video playing next to me, so followed along to some degree. Tried to find the shadows:

I can't seem to crack a randomness on the sea. Any tips?

Starting to find the light now:

Put the Wellington hills and the sky in. No detail. You can see the houses if you look hard enough, but I just wanted the right values. That hills too big though!

Nearly there! Starting to come together now.

Richard_PFilurenPaulBSummer

Comments

• Ohh! It's looking really nice, love seeing the progression pics :)
  • edited May 13
    Forgot to say, apologies for the photo quality - these shots are all out of my cellphone. As I'm currently sharing "my" study with boys building Airfix kits, I have no room to photograph during the day!

I managed to take a photo with an SLR (which appears to have dust on its sensor - grrr), and white balance it correctly, and I think this is pretty much done now:

I've tried painting landscapes before and really disliked the experience. I think that may have come from difficulties in getting the "right" colours. Everything just ended up as muddy shades. This time, I really enjoyed it! I concentrated more on getting the right values than in getting the right colours, but will admit to cutting myself a bit of slack on the hill. It's autumn here, and I wanted more autumnal colours.

Not sure if I should just leave well alone or do more. Comments?
    Kaustav
  • edited May 13
    Hi! It's going very well, I notice few things, the sea have more stripes of dark and light colour, the house in the painting are less bright, and the wall down is more bright and yellow in the painting. Very well dobe by the way, it have a difficult light to pain with small value variations all around.
  • I would get rid of that smudge in the water on the left, unless that's the camera dust.  I might try to find two or three tiny little dots to place white, but I'm not sure.

This is great, the hills and the autumnal hill look perfect, and I like the way the light is on the boat and buildings.
  • I can't see any boat!
    Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 14
    @Observer ; Rule of thirds might work here.  And, that can be achieved by illuminating everything on the right hand side of the painting.  Stefan Baumann likes to tell his students that lighting is more important than the objects themselves.  So, just enough light to illuminate, not too much detail.  And, I like how you painted the slope early on.  It appears better than it does in the photograph.   Summer       
  • Well, I was going to just leave it alone, but then I had a nose bleed, went for a tissue, and somehow managed to reach through my painting. This pinged it out of the easel, so I went for the catch, thereby breaking the oil painting equivalent of the  "never catch a falling clothes iron" rule, and sort of batted it stickily into the crook of my arm.

So, I am now unable to just leave it alone...

I can add a boat, if it helps?
    judith
  • i like how it looks like the last light of the day
  • you can save it?