Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Comments

• in between not getting paintings finished quickly I sculpt...I was lucky to have a recent mixed solo exhibition of paintinhgs and sculptures and am now preparing for the next (April 2019)...my hands love the clay and my head loves the paint!!
  • Art is connected. And from time to time they inspired each other. I am so happy for you! 
    judith
  • Wow a fellow sculptor too! I used to sculpt last year but I gave up because my apartment is too bad organised for paint and sculpture at the same time, I am thinking to move in a bigger house in the countryside also to start sculpting again :) I am very happy for your exhibition and for the next one! 

judith
  • Bobitaly said:
    Wow a fellow sculptor too! I used to sculpt last year but I gave up because my apartment is too bad organised for paint and sculpture at the same time, I am thinking to move in a bigger house in the countryside also to start sculpting again :) I am very happy for your exhibition and for the next one! 

oh I would love to see your work...
  • Judith here it is, this is my first attempt, I used to build everything from the bones and adding muscles,fat and then the skin. I did this and I found it's very anatomically correct, I leave it half with skin on and half with muscles and nerves to see in the left part of the body, with what is called écorché by the French and used it mostly in academy to learn anatomy. Said that I suggest u for anatomy references the Netter book , in Italy is the book for the first approach in medicine school to anatomy and it is an art piece in itself!
    Sculptor questions: do you cook the clay? Or do you use resin/gesso casting? 

judithJiashenSummer
  • judithjudith -
    edited May 13
    OMG @Bobitaly first attempt???...this is fantastic...I love that idea...of leaving the anatomy visible...I'm not sure I have that discipline...I would love to see more of your work...would you mind posting a few more?? How large is that? what are you doing with the pieces? are you casting? I never thought of resin casting...I think I would not want to break open my "faces".

I do "cook" ...I have 3 kilns...electric, raku and fire...currenlt fire is out of action but another day...I love the real clay effect...

I like to explore different cultures in my work as we have lived in many  differnet countries and the people are so interesting..so I try to represent them...
    I also like to show the nature and gods/goddesses as they would be if in the human figure...

• U need to ask @Flatty to remove the post u don't like, he is very kind and efficient :) that's my first and only attempt, I did two small portrait but I gave up because I didn't have the time nor the space to continue..I was working on a small table in the living room and it was so frustrating to take everything out, wash and etc. Plus I don't have a Klin so everything is temporary. The bust is around 40 cms tall..I remember when I cutted in half to empty it.worst feeling ever ahah
    I do like your work, I found your words very beautiful, art is a link to the soul to every human being, no matter what is the culture or the nation, and I can see a sensibility in those portraits, u respected the subject and I can see this.
    Please stay in contact with me, u gave me again the will to continue inspiring me!
    judith
  • i hate the lack of control over what I post!..

we have a large workshop under the house with all tools so have half for sculpture and my husband was generous to build me a small cabin for my art...I have to sculpt in the workshop because the clay is so dirty...I can't keep the cabin clean for painting if I do clay there...for many years I just do it in a garden shed no kiln...cook in a garden fire!! then in steel barrel with gas...whatever I can find...a friend sold me his electric kiln a year ago but here is barrel kiln...i have bigger gas now

ForgivenessSummer
  • edited May 14
    This all great work here! When posting photos I don't like or made a mistake, click "edit", when I move my curser over the photo, left click it turns transparent blue, right click select "cut" from the dialog that comes up, this removes the unwanted photo and resets to normal, you may replace with a new photo if you choose.
    Summerjudith
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 14
    You shouldn't remove a thing!  I majored in sculpture for five years many decades ago--bronze casting and ox-acetylene welded steel indoor/outdoor sculptures and lots of plaster, wood, clay pieces.  These works that you have posted here look marvelous to me!
    Bobitalyjudith
  • awwwww thank you ...all of you...for always being willing to help ...and for the gorrrrrrgeous encouragement...I love "MAKING" anything basically...and won't let lack of knowledge or resources  deter me...I can see many here with similaar traits...LUVERLYYYYY
    Bobitaly
  • edited May 14
    Wow @judith everything is so beautiful, and I love the head with 3 differents treatments! I am also amazed by all the kilns you have! And I didn't know @summer of your studies...wooooo I feel so so lucky and I think I will ask u a lot of things in the future! Sculpture is my real first passion, in the south were I was born it's a very important activity the making of pottery and my grandpa before dying used to work in the extraction of stone and clay. Since I was very little I worked with clay and sculpting stone, Lee have a particular type of stone cleared Pietra leccese very soft and we build even houses with that, the baroque there is born for that.
    Short said, I am very happy I "met " u it's a shame we are not close :(
    To give u an idea of how I l really deep was sculpture for me I started when I was 6 or 7 years old with the Leccese Stone, i remember with a nail a stick ahah 

judithSummer
  • Summer said:
    You shouldn't remove a thing!  I majored in sculpture for five years many decades ago--bronze casting and ox-acetylene welded steel indoor/outdoor sculptures and lots of plaster, wood, clay pieces.  These works that you have posted here look marvelous to me!
    my GOD Summer...are you still doing it??? bronze casting...I so love that...I would love to have that opportunity to learn...i saw the most mouth-watyering take my breath away bronze circe when I was much younger and always wanted to be able to sculpt that fine..I am completely self-taught so maybe I'll get to that degree if finesse one day...
     BUT do we get to see any of yours SUmmer???? i would LOOOOOOOOVE if you would share your experiences...not to take too much away from your painting

I can't describe how much the sculpting gives me the kinetic experience that helps with painting...I can't visualise so "feeling" the shapes  is essential
    Forgiveness
  • @Bobitaly....oh how amazing!!!! since you were so little..your hands  must know how to shape without even looking!!...you will have the touch of the stone and tools in your hands...and to live where you can extract your own clay ...and it is in your blood from your grandfather...here in new Zealand the land is not old enough to make clay...there is still too much sand...it is not squeezed for long enough yet by the natural pressure to make it clay...when it dries it does not stick together...so we get it from Australia. There is kaolin here only...white to make porcelain. I am a beginner in sculpture ...learning everything by the internet and experience...some beginner lessons at community art schools for pottery but I don't like making only "round" things  hehehehehehehe...where are your stone sculptures...can you post some??

• @Forgiveness I just finally learned how to cite someone's name to bring up the link!..thank you for your help about editing and support for my work...I really take on people's comments so yours and others encouragement here is fundamentally important for me to continue my work.
    Forgiveness
  • Nooo @judith there were little things..but I done it only when I was little..than I stopped, I falled in love with science, I loved geology so I started collecting fossils and minerals..My artistic life is bad, I only started 5 months ago to paint after and only made that sculpture and few drawings.. I studied a lot and I graduated twice so I really didn't have time or energy..but there is something inside me only coming out when I do art, my scientific part needs to shout painting or drawing or sculpting..my only regret is that I am sure I had a potential which is lost. 

judithForgivenessSummer
  • I love this photo...
    not lost...just delayed while you fulfilled some of your other potentials and loves...a man with multiple talents and heart big enough for all of them eventually
    BobitalyForgiveness
  • Thank you @judith I hope it will be like this, otherwise I will feel incomplete) thank.you for your kind words. 

• Awesome photo @Bobitaly , I don't have photos of me when I was 2 year old artist at work already, much like you here, I was attracted to science as well, wanted to be a surgeon as 1st choice, and very young in school I had a mad crush on a young girl who was aspiring doctor and her father was a successful doctor, but I chose art in the end. I love sculpting but don't have space, so now I paint and draw, occasionally I will make something, recently a second pochade box (deluxe edition). I find that drawing, sculpting and oil painting to be all very closely related, excellent disciplines to have.
  • Thank you for sharing @Forgiveness I think art talks to the gentle hearts :) it is a shame u don't have photos, but your work you will talk for you:)
    Forgiveness
  • All I ever sculpted was soap carving and Christmas ornaments from salt dough. With that expertise behind me all I can say  is these sculptures here are fantastic. Better than some I've seen in museums.
    Forgiveness