Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Whitening, blistering appearance of Geneva paint when drying

Hi, has anyone else noticed a blistered, crackled effect of Geneva paint especially in areas of impasto that creates a whitened appearance (see photos) . The areas I'm talking about look frosted on the grapes and that wasn't anything I applied, but slowly appeared as it dried  It really ruins the painting by creating glare and reflections all over the place. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Mmm Do u use to paint in many layers? It seems like the paint down was thicker compared to the layer up..so it was still drying when u applied the paint over it.
  • Try the paint on a different primed surface in normal one layer method and see if it does the same thing.  Geneva paints are formulated for ala prima painting method in mind. They were not expected to be used for heavy impasto or layering/glazing. Some have had success with light impasto by letting the paint set on the palette for a few days before painting with them. For glazing the first layer needs at least a week or two drying time before the glazing layer goes on.  there are other ways too but that won't help here. The biggest selling point (IMO) is Geneva's long, long drying time.

if the paint acts that way in a single first layer you should contact Geneva.
  • I have never seen that with Geneva paint but I can tell you that if you want to do impasto with it you will need oleogel, oleopasto or modeling paste.  Geneva is too thin to paint impasto alone.  Mark Carder, the manufacturer, explains this in one of his earlier videos introducing the paint.