Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Painting over Stucco or Plaster for texture

Hey guys, I had an idea and I want to experiment this for the challenge, what if to make a texture I made an underpainting with plaster trying to give the shape and a thickness on the highlights and them I paint over it normally? Last year I tried to make some sculpture and I wasn't that bad, so I what if I mix both tecniques? Sculpture and DMP tecnique?  I read somewhere an abstract artist using stucco and PVA together..can be working?

Comments

• I will tag you directly @dencal :dizzy:

• SummerSummer -
    edited May 6
    It's called 'bas relief'.  A Google search will show you what has and is being done now with this method.  Many years ago I created some pieces with this method.  You might like it.  There are newer material today that will make this method easier to accomplish and last longer.  You should experiment after Denis weighs in on this subject.  :)
  • Did u use plaster or other materials? How it was the outcome? Do u like the effect @Summer?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 5
    Yes.  I used plaster on hardboard.  Really nice!  With the materials available today I'm tempted to do more.  I remember someone throwing the slurry down the drain in a slop sink when they were finished and it solidified and major plumbing work had to be done.  Hey, wait a minute.  Was that me?  Did I do that?  :o
  • Ahaha @Summer u done that? My gosh :D tomorrow I will go and see if I can find something in the bricolage store :)  thank you for all the info!
  • Bob

Well... mmmm... several things to say about this.

Weight will be a problem. Sagging in the hardboard. Extra problems in wall hanging.

Moisture from the plaster mix distorting hardboard. Everlasting propensity for plaster to absorb moisture from the air. Potential for cracking and delamination.

Excessive sinking of paint by plaster absorption of medium.

Texural characteristics will rarely appear in the right place for the subsequent painting.

I suggest the same effect can be achieved with impasto techniques or a modelling paste.

More of a challenge is to create a texture effect with paint highlights and shadow.

Denis

• Thank you very much @dencal I knew u will point out some problems I was wondering too.. I will wait until I can get some of this impasto gel u suggest me last time.
  • I worked with plaster and acrylic on plywood for base relief many years ago. It looked good for about four years than began to crack. At first I thought it was a spider web that's what the cracks looked like.
    I thought to repair it but it fell apart like a big jig saw puzzle when I tried to get it out of the frame.

DON"T let that discourage you, today's materials and techniques work well for relief and modeling. I'm just not sure plaster is a good idea.
  • I don't know what happened to my art pieces except to say they ended up in my professor's studio and I never inquired about them after that and he is deceased now.  You shouldn't deprive yourself of working with plaster because it's cheap, plentiful, and you can really be creative.  I agree with Denis and Bob that for longevity, there are better materials today that I wish I had time to experiment with.  Looking forward to reading about your experiments with today's materials.  Summer 
  •  Thank you everyone @BOB73 @dencal and @Summer !!
    It is a very interesting topic, some time ago I found something on a site about "putting". He called in this s way, essentially just chalk and organic linseed oil aged on the sun, the inventor say this oil have particular siccative propriety. If you put putting on Google u can find his site..was something like Ted Spurgeon maybe
    . said that I find there are modern materials like Liquin Oleopasto or Liquin Impasto for Oil painting and also I discovered yesterday an acrilic foam Maimeri for making same as plaster but very very light. I think I will try maybe not for this challenge because I need to finish one and starting the other and I still have to prepare the panel.. :(
    I think only for some painting with a particular scene are good for impasto tecnique. Anyway yesterday I was walking and I think I found my next next painting..is a shop window and the composition and the subjects are very insightful for this modern age, at least for the Italian one.

• In this case, I think painting from life would be better. But it is an interesting concept and a commentary on the modern age. I could send you a Victoria's Secret catalog. The models have hair, legs too.
  • It's in the city center @BOB73 , the worst case scenario for a shy painter :D
  • I think I see your point.
  • In one of my exhibitions (group) I saw a portrait with dents and bumps according to facial features. I don't know what did the artist use. But it was on canvas and oil paint but not sure what did he use to create structure.
  • I find that painting over older studies produces nice textural qualities in a picture.