Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

My wip for the landscape challenge

SummerSummer -
edited May 8 in Painting
Folks.  I hope by me posting this, it adds to the flow of our new challenge and that I am not stepping on anyones toes.  Cooking and cleaning will just have to wait while I do this.  For decades I've witnessed this haunting view and wanted to record it in oils.  I'm intrigued with the design if I omit the auto and add more snow.  It will have subtle warm and cool temperature hues.  All comments welcome.  Summer

JuliannaRosanneFlatty

Comments

• SummerSummer -
    edited May 4
    My neighbors who built this landscape have subsequently died and I miss them living here every day.  The mountainous falls to the right would make another beautiful landscape in my neighborhood but the memory of 40 young people slipping to their death since recorded history has taken its toll on me and doesn't leave me with good feelings so I won't be painting that.  Just a little history to go with this painting.  What stories the plants and trees around us could tell bearing witness for even more years than my few decades.   
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 6
    Well, first steps.  I think it looks better as a rectangle but for the fun of it I'm going to square it off in Affinity and see how it looks--mainly because I have old square canvas boards to use up.  I think this is a DMP method painting if I ever saw one.  I can see putting in my darks using the same brush strokes that Mark uses--and the same types of brushes in my left hand, and just as many.  After painting on a few key critical junctures using my thumbnail as a measuring tool, I should be able to finish this in four hours without any preliminary drawing.  Mixing steps and painting tomorrow and possibly the next day at the latest.  I will use 3 color groups.  Probably 12 dark to light gray steps will be the first of the group.  The  green and pink cool/warm hues on the snow will make up the other two in the group.  Off we go!  Who's we?  Me and the spirit guides, of course--haha.  :)  Every advice and comment from you guys will be appreciated and mulled over.  :)
  • I do like the picture, I see there is a story behind it and I think you will do great because every strokes will be meaningful to you. Technical details are the horizon line is slightly tilted and the picture is a little bit not on focus, but this can be easily fixed by the painting technique in itself. Painting snow it will be a challenge , I remember how the impressionist realized shodow were pink in the snow. After this the most important is that u love this, this will be transferred to the painting for sure.!
  • Thank you @Bobitaly ; You had important things to say here about the horizon line and focus.  Thank you.  I have never painted snow, but I trust Mark's DMP method to come through for me.  It will be like painting on auto-pilot--haha.  Summer
  • I am SO excited @Summer - I think this is going to be fabulous.
  • Hi @summer is this your thread for the work you will be doing on your painting, or is it for all people who are entering the challenge?
  • Thanks @Boudicca.  I think I fixed it.  :)
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 5
    Jut thought I'd mention that our road slopes as we are in a slightly mountainous region so the horizon line may seem awkward.  If you think I should adjust this angle, I'd like to know your insight.  Thanks. 
  • I literally live on the San Andreas fault - nothing is plum here.  It doesn't read well for any of my works so I am constantly tweaking a plum horizon (eye) line.  I would suggest you plum it as the human brain is more inclined to like it instantly and not be distracted by "something off".  I really like this composition and am so excited that you are painting it.  I think it will be lovely.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 6
    What a good idea @Julianna, a plum line measurement or two or three or more.  I had not thought of it but it is the perfect solution.  I will use it for future paintings as well.  Thanks.  Summer
  • @Summer, have you considered painting this for the landscape challenge. I think it would make a great entry. :)
  • It is for the challenge, isn't it?
  • I like it. as long as the horizon isn't above eye level it shouldn't be a problem but you have to pay attention to your perspectives. That would be true anyway with a foreground that slopes away from you. I don't think this will be difficult for you. Snow isn't as challenging on an overcast day as it is on a sunny day. Leave out the car for a more homey look. Exposing some more of the structures would be nice too. Good luck.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 6
    Richard_P said:
    It is for the challenge, isn't it?
    Yes.  This is a WIP for the landscape challenge.  There are always unforeseen circumstances with all of my paintings and I decided to share my grief with you guys this time.

You will get a kick out of this one, Richard, spent last evening trying to sharpen the image in Affinity using all three of their techniques only to find the same "bug" in all three that wouldn't allow it to happen.  A real time waster.  I'll have to work around it the old fashioned way using my best judgement as I paint!   The image was a freeze-frame from a movie camera and not from my dslr.  Summer
  • Is that image you posted the only size one you have? I could have a go if you have a larger image version..
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 5
    Richard_P said:
    Is that image you posted the only size one you have? I could have a go if you have a larger image version..
    That's it!  It does look ethereal the way it is, but that's me rationalizing again.  Thanks for offering.  If I think of something, I'll take you up on your offer.  Mixing the paints today.  Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 5
    Mixing paints today, folks, and already the personality of this painting - the god part - is making itself known.  If I am to be honest.  Coincidences again.  The way the image will not be sharpened.  And, the fact that I have only one rectangular canvas that is already stained and therefore usable right away.
  • Summer said:
    Richard_P said:
    Is that image you posted the only size one you have? I could have a go if you have a larger image version..
    That's it!  It does look ethereal the way it is, but that's me rationalizing again.  Thanks for offering.  If I think of something, I'll take you up on your offer.  Mixing the paints today.  Summer
    Ouch! I had a go, but there is so little detail there that I think you had either better post it abstractly or use that as a base and fill in the details from your real life view.

• SummerSummer -
    edited May 5
    Studying the edges now.  A lot of soft and lost ones in this painting.  The hard ones are really important.  It's so much fun when I find new subtleties in the snow that I hadn't noticed before.  I'm really looking. 
  • Richard said: Ouch!  I had a go, but there is so little detail there that I think you had either better post it abstractly or use that as a base and fill in the details from your real life view.
    I agree that I will have to paint this more abstractly than I had hoped.  But still, this will be partly plein air when I take color notes and draw some of the plant and tree fibers this afternoon.  That is my plan, but once I get painting, I have to follow the feelings about the results that I see on the canvas.  I don't know what they will be at this point.  I impose my will up to a point, then if I notice "happy accidents" I consider those.  This painting will be partly a discovery for me.  I have never painted snow.  Some things I hope to carry on into future paintings.  As you can see, it might just look more abstract, more like an illusion, a dream than a photo realistic painting the way I had hoped.  Thanks for your help.  I have to go with the flow of things at this point sharpening where I think it is necessary from my plein air notations.  I knew from the beginning it would be either more abstract or realistic.  I tried to make them both happen so that I could choose.  One is going to win out over the other.  Thanks for your help. 

Summer  

• SummerSummer -
    edited May 6
    Today I decided to take a shot of this view with my dslr tomorrow--it can't hurt.  Wrong time of year.  Many years since the original was taken with a movie camera, but, there may be something I can use.  Delays.  Delays.  Delays.  But I'm enjoying every minute of preparing for this challenge.  :)
  • @Summer I am really enjoying reading you, it's beautiful to see what there is behind the making of a painting, it will be beautiful, even more if not very detailed, like a dream.
  • Bobitaly said:
    @Summer I am really enjoying reading you, it's beautiful to see what there is behind the making of a painting, it will be beautiful, even more if not very detailed, like a dream.
    You can't imagine how glad I am that you mentioned this.  I was beginning to think there might be something wrong if it ended up dreamlike.  But still, I'm taking steps today to gather more detailed information with my dslr camera and plein air drawing and painting just in case I might need it.

Thanks. 

Summer
  • You are welcome Summer :) 
  • It might end up more impressionistic, but a lot of impressionistic works are beautiful too! :)
  • Richard_P said:
    It might end up more impressionistic, but a lot of impressionistic works are beautiful too! :)
    Thanks, Richard, I needed that.  :)
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 9
    Update:  The detailed part of the painting continues today.  Secret:  I wear a timer around my neck to keep me focused.  It's set for one hour.

• I wore a bell around my neck. My WIFE wore the timer. when it was time for me to do something, she would ring my bell.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 12
    Just out of curiosity, you guys, who should I channel as I paint this?  Mark Carder or Bob Ross.  The Summer method hasn't revealed itself yet!  I'm leaning towards Carder, but ALL THOSE TREES are saying Bob Ross.  Both?  Paint two paintings, one in each style?  Anyone??? 
  • @Summer, oh, Carder, every time.  The recent landscape video says it all.
  • may be paint two trees in both method and see which you like more
  • @PaulB ; Glad you said that!   :)  
  • No summer style after all your experiments? 
  • Yeah @Richard!  I see style on here, DMP, once in a while.  I recognize it in others.  But it hasn't happened to me.  Hmm.  :/
  • Is that because you keep changing styles as you try new things?
  • Richard_P said:
    Is that because you keep changing styles as you try new things?
    Yes.  Style is about sameness, same-o, for the most part, but in a good way.   
  • @Summer, Yay, I love snow scenes!  I look forward to seeing what you do.
  • I think you should stick to the DMP method :) 
  • Really ready now!  Thanks everyone.  :)
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 16
    Update:  Lots coming together today. 

Setting up my dslr on a tripod to get WIP shots today.

Mixed all the values that I will be using and tested them against the reference image which is of the absolute worst quality you can imagine--the image, that is.

Now I will make the steps in quantity and save them in snap cap containers so that I will have a lot less to mix once I begin to paint.  This is only the preliminary painting to work out all the surprises. 

Changed my mind about which canvas to use.  Went from stretched canvas to canvas applied to artboard.  Two of them are already stained from my old stash and ready to use.  (Claessen's #13  linen from Belgium sized with rabbit skin glue and double oil primed on a 24 x 24/ 61cm x 61cm artboard double stained with a shop air compressor using Mark's original stain recipe).

I'm hoping this won't take more than another week even though the painting itself will be taking only a few hours.

Looking forward to reading updates from others of you who are participating in this challenge.

Summer   :)     
  • Good update :)

How many steps are you premixing?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 15
    Thanks, @Richard_P

There will be 9 basic steps but of course there will be more that are too small for the snap caps.

I was surprised at how accurate the values/colors matched when I held them to the reference image with the color checker.  That was a big relief.  Still, there might be problems in the next few days that I haven't thought of yet.  Hmm. 

Summer
  • Looking forward to your WIP photos Summer :) 
  • I like the composition, well balanced and a certain harmony in this.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 15
    I like the composition, well balanced and a certain harmony in this.
    Interesting that you should say that because while the movie was playing, I had to stop it at exactly this location to freeze frame this view.  I got lucky with the timing.  Hmm.

Summer 
  • awesome  @Summer studio looks great
  • Nice studio set up and a good drawing as this often promises a good painting!
  • I'm good at finding those magnifiers in the dark, but I can't see the 300 brushes.  Great setup @Summer, great equipment.  Drawing looks good.  Look at that beautiful Dibond!  All that's missing is a beer, and paint smeared all over that equipment!

Well done @Summer.
  • Is the canvas stain grey or did you post a black and white photo? ;)