Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Question about working with galleries

I THINK I know the right moral answer to this...but figured I would ask anyway. haha So before I even started this painting I consulted with the gallery as to if they think it would be a good fit for their collection. They said yes and advised me to go larger than I was planning. So I did 3ftx4ft. Now it's still in my studio as its too wet to transport and I've got someone interested in buying it- asking about a price. My question is, can I sell it out from under the gallery (saving me the 50% commission they take) or is that bad practice. I feel like its bad, but then again... it's business too... confused. Before the painting was completed they said a painting that size they would start selling at $6,500- which gives me $3,250 before I pay the photographer. If I can sell it out right for say $4,500 then me, the photographer AND the buyer all make out...  just saying that sounds shady. I think I know the answer. haha (p.s. I still cant imagine one of MY paintings selling for that much! ahk! fingers crossed! -but... they HAVEN'T sold yet in the retail space so...there's that. just dreams and price tags. haha lol )photo reference:Jay Moran
Bobitaly

Comments

• JessicaArt

Your painting, your property. Sell it to whoever you want. Paint another half dozen for the gallery.

The only restriction is that a painting already consigned to a gallery cannot be sold by you. I assume you have not signed a gallery contract yet?

With the right frame and the right buyer I think this is $8k. Try the racecourse clubhouse or bar or upmarket stables or thorobred studs.

Marketing is all about Price, Product, Place, Promotion. Get ticks in all these boxes to achieve good returns.

Denis

JessicaArt
  • Mmmm... that's a tough one.

I can't say much about the moral side of things but, pragmatically and prudentially, I think that it would depend on whether you have a legally binding (signed or verbal) agreement with the gallery and, if you don't have such an agreement, whether you care about getting them offside over a single painting (which I think is stunning by the way). You may have more to gain in the long run by cultivating the gallery. However, that may not be the case if you think you would have the time and would be good at selling your own work privately. I doubt I would have the expertise and time be able to consistently sell my own work so if it were me, and if I were just starting out on a painting career, I would hang with the gallery.

Hope this helps. :)
  • hmmm good points. @tassieguy & @dencal I have not signed a contract with them on this particular painting. @dencal 8k sounds FABULOUS. Especially if I got all 8 of it! haha now Im getting greedy. That said I am not an extrovert, and don't do well pushing my work on people, so I think the point of cultivating with the gallery may be a good point... hmm. Especially if they want to sell prints of this after the fact. Guess Ive gotta think think think on it! 
  • SummerSummer -
    edited May 3
    @JessicaArt

Legally, you are not obliged to the gallery.  But this sounds like you are just beginning a new relationship.  I believe that if you sell it on your own that, even without a contract, you should give the gallery 10% because they have earned their money by suggesting to you that you paint larger.  I'd sign with them beginning with this painting to maintain an already very good relationship.   Someone may want to purchase everything you paint if you allow the gallery to work on your behalf and continue to give you make or break advice.   Summer

• JessicaArt

Some folks here in Oz buy $5 canvas prints from China and resell on local Gumtree/EBay sites for $175.
    That is $17,000 profit for every hundred sold. Selling prints is easy, it should not be a reason to sell with a gallery.

Work of this standard does not need to be pushed on people. It will sell itself.

Denis

• SummerSummer -
    edited May 3
    By the way, I think the heart of the industry is captured in this painting.  You and the photographer make a good team.  And you had the vision to see it and be inspired as well.  I think you have assembled your team.  Not an easy thing to do.   Just saying.
  • Stefan Baumann has a video (which I can't seem to find at the moment) where he talks about this, more or less.  I'll bet @Julianna knows the link, but if I find it, I'll post it.

Essentially he says don't undercut the gallery, it works against you, sell for the same price as the gallery.  Don't discount your work.  Consistent purchase price is important, so that to get a JL painting of this size, will cost $xxxx, and then there is no "shopping around" for your work.

What you perceive as a lower price for a customer, is also perceived by the customer also as lower value.
  • dencal said:
    JessicaArt

Some folks here in Oz buy $5 canvas prints from China and resell on local Gumtree/EBay sites for $175.
    That is $17,000 profit for every hundred sold. Selling prints is easy, it should not be a reason to sell with a gallery.

Work of this standard does not need to be pushed on people. It will sell itself.

Denis

Another good idea and more work for the gallery to do if you want to take this path. 
  • Here is the Stefan Baumann YouTube video that I posted a few weeks ago in another thread about artists working with galleries and the market in general.

PaulBKaustav
  • I don't know anything about selling or gallery I just want to compliments with you for your art and for finding someone to sell your painting! I am jelous in a good way of course :)
    PaulB
  • Bobitaly said:
    I don't know anything about selling or gallery I just want to compliments with you for your art and for finding someone to sell your painting! I am jelous in a good way of course :)
    We've seen your work.  Don't worry, you're next.
  • You are too kind @PaulB !! ^_^
    dencal
  • BOB73BOB73 -
    edited May 3
    @JessicaArt ; I understand your dilemma especially the reluctance to try "direct selling". My advice is to not alienate the gallery. If you've discussed this particular painting with them, they are expecting to get the painting. That does not prevent you from painting another of the same subject for a private commission. If you enter into a contract, make sure you keep your right to sell on the open market. Also if they sell prints of your work you should get royalties.  

BTW I live in an area with  lots of horses. None of them will ever run in the Preakness but they are all good swimmers.
  • wow! lots of great advice. Great point @PaulB I never thought about it that way! And that works in my favor as well! haha I think I am going to stick with having the gallery sell it. They seem like great people and I think it will work best for me in the long run to be "the teachers pet" per se. @BOB73 good advice as well- Im with you on that, and if they were to sell prints, they would be in the same fashion as the paintings as to where they get 50% of the sale price. @Bobitaly Thanks! no doubt you will get there! I've spent years working up to getting into this particular gallery with being shot down 2x. I finally got in and hopefully my persistence will pay off! 
    @Summer thanks SO much! It was a lot of work to find a photographer to work with that would actually respond to my emails, and had quality work. haha Jason seems to have a great working relationship so far, I hope it continues because I LOVE his work! I work with other photographers as well, but I am hoping to make Jason my go-to-guy since he has lots of local Saratoga shots and thats what the gallery said sells. :) Thanks for the video too! I will have to watch it tonight after the kiddos go to bed. haha 
  • I agree. It feels like the right thing to do and if the gallery do get upset with you they could tell every other gallery in the area about it..
    JessicaArtBoudicca
  • absolutely @Richard_P good point! 

• I'd be interested to see the paintings you brought to them before that they weren't as thrilled about

Some galleries have strict contractual rules like if they can't sell your painting for 2 grand they give it back to you and you legally can't sell it for more or less than 2 grand yourself
  • PaulB said:
    Stefan Baumann has a video (which I can't seem to find at the moment) where he talks about this, more or less.  I'll bet @Julianna knows the link, but if I find it, I'll post it.

Essentially he says don't undercut the gallery, it works against you, sell for the same price as the gallery.  Don't discount your work.  Consistent purchase price is important, so that to get a JL painting of this size, will cost $xxxx, and then there is no "shopping around" for your work.

What you perceive as a lower price for a customer, is also perceived by the customer also as lower value.
    Total agree. What you perceive as a lower price for a customer, is also perceived by the customer also as lower value. This is soooo true!
    JessicaArtBOB73
  • Richard_P said:
    I agree. It feels like the right thing to do and if the gallery do get upset with you they could tell every other gallery in the area about it..
    This is more fact than fiction and I agree completely.
    JessicaArt
  • @movealonghome in previous years I had just emailed them with examples of my work and never heard back. This year I heard back and then they asked to see it in person before they accepted it. 
  • @JessicaArt,  painting is great... amazed at prices...A lot of established artists in Ireland would struggle to get half that price. You got lots of good advice there, going to be difficult to decide what to do. Can you paint the same  one again for the gallery ?