Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

What is Glazing?

judithjudith -
edited April 30 in Painting
Hi everyone...this morning I have read a few posts that mention glaze and glazing...is that just another layer of the same colour?  Though I did see PaulB post about cooling down a colour with a thin purple glaze...

I may need to use this sometimes :-)))))))

Comments

• A glaze is a thin mix of pigment and medium.  It is intended to be transparent and will enhance the colors beneath.  If you alternate opaque and transparent colors you get a nice effect.  For direct paintings, I use it primarily to correct and unify color.
    Check this out.  Its really good.

BOB73Leo2015
  • OMG that's more than I could spend time on....I would never get anything done EVER
  • edited May 10
    I used to glaze often (an instructor I once loved glazing) - I had some sunflowers that were picking up too much of the charcoal drawing so I couldn't get the yellows bright enough - she said "no biggie, super easy fix with glaze) here is the before glazing with just one done and then all 3 flowers done.  It fixed everything in about 10 minutes.  Glazing is awesome!  
  • I think in Italian is very easy to understand because the terms is "velatura" which means literally put a veil of something on,  in this case a veil of paint onto a surface. They already told u can be a veil of opaque or transparent colours. Fun fact is that u can use colour theory to make realistic shadow using a complementary colour, or in case of reflected light a colour of a near surface. 

With the DMP method if you select the correct colour u don't need this in theory, but practically for a newbie like me is a good method to fix colours or to deep shadows or adding reflex.
    In modern time is not very used because is more to put the right colour right and to be faster in producing an art piece, but in the past when pigments were expensive and to make a painting took years Titian (Tiziano) used to say "Trenta o quaranta velature non sono abbastanza" "30 or 40 glazing are not enough".

If u want to learn there are a lot of YouTube videos but practically just experiment by yourself diving opaque and transparent colours, because videos are easily forgettable.. a yellow over a green is different from a green over a yellow because light is filtered by the first layer..so theory ok but practice is better!

This is a chart of colours divided by opacity. On the label of a tube paint there is a small square, full back opaque colore, half black half white semitransparent, empty transparent.

Hope it helps, and have fun!
    PaulB
  • I used a very thin black/Liquin glaze to add shadows on the wall behind the laundry.  I could have mixed up a darker red, but using a glaze allows me to also put the shadow across that light colored horizontal line too.  Less mixing is involved, and as we are told, it's the value that matters most.