Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to [email protected] if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Question - photo / art print

So the below is an example only - once I have my studio set up would it be better to buy a high quality art print poster - than a laminated photo to work from ? - If my image I choose is basically copying a masterpiece etc,..it might not work for one of my own photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Christ-John-Cross-Poster-Salvador/dp/B008XK1L48

Julianna

Comments

• Whether a photo of your own, A digital printed on your printer or a poster, you want to have it on smooth preferably glossy paper and have it laminated or some clear overlay or sprayed on coating that will allow you to color-check your mixed paint. Often, posters are printed on textured papers to give them a painted-on look. These pick up too much glare and also make it much more difficult to wipe away your paint dabs. You want glossy or satin smooth.
  • I think that's a great idea @alsart   Even my local professional printer can't make perfect copies - even art books have excellent reference photos.  I think anwesha mentioned that she puts saran wrap on top - much cheaper than laminating!  
  • Alsart
    Compare a famous painting for sale as a poster from Google Images. You will find a huge range of color interpretations. The best are likely to be from museum sources, the worst will be gaudy, mass produced dept store versions. There is huge variation in downloadable files too,  both pixel density and color.

Copy shops laminate for reasonable prices, near me OfficeWorks will laminate an A1 for $7.50.

Whatever you choose,  it will need lamination. 

Denis

• Ok - I will give it a go once I am set up and advise of the results - a high quality gloss print is not much cost difference than printin and laminating - thanks all for responding 
  • Whatever you choose,  it will need lamination. 

Denis
  • So - some interesting developments - I have been in touch with a number of still life photographers whose works I like, I have asked if they are interested in a project to develop some of their still life work into Oil paintings, surprisingly I got some positive feedback, the concept is that I will purchase a high quality laminated / or a Lustre coated print & a B&W paper image of the same print & size - thus I will have all the ingredients for transferring the image to a canvas and a high quality image on E surface paper to color match from as per Marks videos.
    Now,.. this not only gives the photographer some income (I purchase the print), but the artist a very high quality image to work with - This is not cheap and not for everyone.

Its early days yet, and it may not even work out, but has anyone had this relationship with a photographer before ? - your thoghts DMP members ?

• I suggest that this being a collaborative effort that YOU decide which objects are in the set-up and their placement to make the composition completely/exclusively your own. That doesn't mean you can't ask the photographer for advice on how to make the set-up and how to light it which YOU should also decide. Your idea is Brilliant BTW. 
  • @BOB73 - thanks for your feedback, part of my reasoning is,.. I am not a skilled photographer, and nor do I want to be, its-hard enough to learn to paint, but I may learn something along the way.

More to follow

BOB73