Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You can send an email to forum@drawmixpaint.com if you have questions about how to use this forum.

Easel price and dimensions?

What will the price be for the new easel? Also, what will the dimensions be? I want to be sure I have room for it in my small studio apartment.

Comments

• Hi @painter8929

Are you asking about the Mark Carder easel?
    If so you need to make contact with https://genevafineart.com/
  • Ive tried emailing them and no response
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 16
    @painter8929 ;  I may be entirely wrong here, but my guess is they read your post and decided that "small studio apartment" would make purchasing the easel not a good investment for you.  The easel is a monster and the largest easel I own.  I have a very high ceiling and it just clears it for my needs.  Also, once assembled, it would be major for me to disassemble it in the future should I have to move.  There are several members on here who recently purchased easels and it may be a good idea to read their posts before investing.  Try "easel" in the Search above.  I'd also advise consulting an engineer/friend before buying if possible.  I should and could say more here, but I think you get the idea.  I'm also sure there are several out there that would suit your needs exactly--just know what those needs are for now and in the near future.  It's like owning a pet once you have one--especially when they jump on you.  Summer
  • Just how large is it?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 17
    @painter8929 ;  How large is it?  Well, we have 8 1/2 feet of ceiling height and the easel can go another eight inches beyond that to be fully extended.  The width is 32 inches and it is 28 inches deep.  Just a reminder that more studio equipment will be needed and I'll post a view of my studio as it looked at the very beginning so you can get an idea of what else may be needed as you add things to the proximity of the easel.  I'll also post a view of the other easel Mark had on his website at the time that we built.  The instructions may still be there available to you.  For my purposes, though we converted it to a photo stand as you can see.  But it would work well as an easel for an apartment or small space.  As to price, I don't recall.  Hope this helps.  Summer

painter8929marieb
  • Here are  over a hundred easels you can look at for ideas. 
    http://search.jerrysartarama.com/art/easel
    Don't forget that a lot of members have built Mark's simple easel for less than $40 and love using it even though they have been using some of the best easels on the market.
    Summer
  • How much does it weigh?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 16
    @painter8929 ;  I would guess Mark's easel weighs about 100 pounds.  It took two of us to drag it in from the outdoors and put it together.  But one person could drag it in from the outdoors, and if mechanically inclined, assemble it alone.  The one I have is about 3 years old.  He is working on a newer model that will be available in the near future.  Summer 
  • @painter8929, Have a look at the Easel that Mark made a couple of years ago, the one that summer talks about. It looked easy enough to make. @Summer, just curious, why did you change easel ?
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 18
    @marieb ; Why did I change the black easel into a photo stand and not continue using it as an easel? 
    I needed an adjustable photo board which Mark's small easel adapted to nicely just by putting more holes in the center board.  Instead of building another one just like it for my main easel, I noticed Mark had one for sale that I was really curious about.  It was a good choice because of the large areas of real wood that I was able to add customized features to.  But mostly, the pulley system is a godsend for an old lady like me because I can adjust for different canvas sizes easily.   :)   Summer
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 18
    @painter8929 ; You have probably already seen this video of Mark demonstrating his original easel--the one I have.

Summer

• That thing looks like it should stalk back to the War of the Worlds where it came from. The easel that is,  not Mark.

It does look damn sturdy.
    ArtistMartin1Summer
  • Sturdy and more, @Roxy.  What will the next one be like?  I can hardly wait!!!
  • @Summer, how well does it handle, for example, aluminum composite panels? If I recall, you had to modify it.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 18
    @PaulB ; Mark's easel handles aluminum composite panels just fine.  No problem.  The holding pins, of which there are four, will obstruct the face of the aluminum panel a little more than 1/16th of an inch, each one.  That is why I built the adapter for holding aluminum panels, to have those pins out of the way.  If you don't mind touching up with paint those tiny pinned areas after removing your painting from the easel, it isn't a problem.  I just wanted unobstructed access to the whole surface.  If you just use the easel, as is, for your composite aluminum panels, there is also no worry about compressing the composite material that is inside the substrate, which my adapter required somewhat.  Hope this explains it.  Summer
    PaulB
  • I hope the new one is out soon! Any word from Mark on the ETA of it? Still no answer when I email them.
  • SummerSummer -
    edited April 20
    @painter8929 No word of when Mark's new easel will be available to us or its price.  Strange that no one is responding to you.  Very unlike them.  Summer
  • How much did the old one cost?
  • @painter8929. The last one I saw advertised was over $1,100. Shipping cost has to be added too. Personally, I don't think he can make a profit selling them that cheap. I'm assuming these are shipped unassembled and difficult for an untrained person to put together. He may be trying to refine the assembly process to ensure customer satisfaction and maintain quality. I expect when it is offered again the price will double but still perform better than easels that cost even more, $3K - $4K.
  • I hope it's not double. If so it would be too much for me. I would pay $1,000 for it though.